Fun cartoons that teach you some science?

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
What other cartoons besides Time Squad (history) and Grossology (biology) do this?

You are not allowed to post cartoons here you don't like. There are plenty of educational cartoons no one likes :sweat:

latest?cb=20101109003224.gif

Last edited:

Zorak Masaki

The Centurions cartoon used to put short little lessons about science and technology at the end of every episode, but considering the show aired in 1986, they're probably hilariously dated now.

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
I remember first learning about DNA from the original G.I. Joe cartoon, during the storyline where Cobra set out to create Serpentor.

(Yeah, I know.....)

Dr.Pepper

I loved Magic School Bus as a kid. It doesn’t really hold up IMO, but it’s good for the kids.

I might be stretching this a bit, but I think Steven Universe can teach some geology. I can’t bring a bunch of minerals to the science club I taught without at least one kid screaming about how they heard it on SU.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I loved Magic School Bus as a kid. It doesn’t really hold up IMO, but it’s good for the kids.

I might be stretching this a bit, but I think Steven Universe can teach some geology. I can’t bring a bunch of minerals to the science club I taught without at least one kid screaming about how they heard it on SU.
I have had geology class and the professor was impressed someone could finally answer his questions. (When I see purple, I think it's amethyst, when I see green, I think it's peridot. Not always true but still :sweat: )

I do wonder how they came up with the "fusions"?
Garnet X3 Y2 [Si O4]3
Ruby Al2 O3
Saphire Al2 O3
(I used spaces to make it readable... sorry hardcore chemists)

I have learned both Si and Al can form certain typical forms (octaeders, tetraheders), but I don't understand how Ruby and Saphire could possibly form Garnet together.

Another fusion, however, made sense to me. I forgot which one.

Last edited:

Dr.Pepper

I have had geology class and the professor was impressed someone could finally answer his questions. (When I see purple, I think it's amethyst, when I see green, I think it's peridot. Not always true but still :sweat: )

I do wonder how they came up with the "fusions"?
Garnet X3 Y2 [Si O4]3
Ruby Al2 O3
Saphire Al2 O3
(I used spaces to make it readable... sorry hardcore chemists)

I have learned both Si and Al can form certain typical forms (octaeders, tetraheders), but I don't understand how Ruby and Saphire could together possibly form Garnet.

Another fusion, however, made sense to me. I forgot which one.
I think fusions are a bit arbitrary. I think they just go for something that looks good, color wise. Also minor nitpick, but garnet is technically an entire family of minerals (Garnet on the show appears to be Almandine). Also in real life rubies are red sapphires, yet the show treats them as different “races”.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Also minor nitpick, but garnet is technically an entire family of minerals (Garnet on the show appears to be Almandine).
Hence the X and Y. Any atom that fits in the (SiO4)3 grid will do. I don't think Garnet from Steven Universe necessarily has got to be a pure mineral. Pure almandine only has iron and aluminium as X and Y. Garnet could have lots of different atoms.

I think there is someone on this forum who actually studied geology (not just one class but lots of them) but I forgot who it was...

Last edited:

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
Venture Bros had an episode that explained testicular torsion pretty well.

That show is great for obscure references in general. The whole "He's seen the world more than Gaetan Dugas" line comes off as darker once you know who he was.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
One episode of OK KO went in depth on programming, there is a new anime called Cells at Work which is pretty much a in depth look at the human body

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
As if anime couldn't get any weirder! XD

Mister Fancy White Blood Cell gets red blood all over him during a fight with a germ... But Misses Cute Red Blood Cell is standing right next to him? What? They didn't think this through, did they? :sweat: bleeding germs lol

They literally explain everything about the immune system in some weird anime way.

ToonsJazzLover

Obviously the Magic School Bus, which I seen several times in elementary school. Futurama and other sci-fi shows can be educational for someone who isn't huge on the science subject (and I normally get the lowest grades in a report card).

Rhaynebow

Funky Jam Dance Party with Some Science

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. Besides the obvious Magic School Bus, I remember there at least being a series of books called Manga Guides to XYZ. They had topics like physics, biochemistry, electricity and other things in manga-style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts