DreamWorks Animation News and Discussion Thread

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
Mainframe/Rainmaker is hiring to work on an unannounced DreamWorks TV show.

DreamWorks has worked with Bardel and DHX on a number of projects, but I believe this is the first time they've partnered with Mainframe/Rainmaker.

The show they're working on is Madagascar: A Little Wild. It's been greenlit for 52 x 22-minute episodes.

Eldorado

The show they're working on is Madagascar: A Little Wild. It's been greenlit for 52 x 22-minute episodes.

I just don't understand why Dreamworks shows have an already set limit to the number of episodes on their shows. I mean, She-Ra is at the height of it's popularity, and it's already coming to an end less than 2 years after its premiere.

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon Analyst, Artist
I just don't understand why Dreamworks shows have an already set limit to the number of episodes on their shows. I mean, She-Ra is at the height of it's popularity, and it's already coming to an end less than 2 years after its premiere.
Same thing happened to Harvey Girls Forever (although it wasn't as popular as say She-Ra or Voltron)

ToonJay723

Staff member
It's more of a lower limit, than a maximum limit. DreamWorks shows still go beyond 52 episodes if they're popular, like Puss in Boots, King Julian, Veggie Tales, Dragons: Race to the Edge, and Voltron.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I actually love the idea of shows with set endings. They give the producers time to prepare and the audience is never stuck with a cliffhanger if the show is unexpectedly canceled.

I can't wait to see how She-Ra finishes its amazing story.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I actually love the idea of shows with set endings. They give the producers time to prepare and the audience is never stuck with a cliffhanger if the show is unexpectedly canceled.

I can't wait to see how She-Ra finishes its amazing story.

Yeah, Stevenson said she had a particular story she wanted to tell and was able to do so within 52 episodes. Even Voltron may have gone on a little too long with 78 episodes.

That would be better than trying to strech things out longer than they need to be.

Takao

They don't. If it's popular, it will run for longer. It's important to remember that online chatter has never accurately reflected the real-world. If She-Ra is ending at 52, that suggests it wasn't popular enough for Netflix to order more episodes beyond their minimum amount.

Some might try to save face with a "we always planned to end it by episode XYZ" response but that's real dubious. We're dealing with kids cartoons, some of which are literally based on toys. If there is money to be made, someone will try to squeeze every last penny. That excuse is usually only revealed after we've learned a show's been axed.

Eldorado

It's just that there's a lot of missed potential for just 52 episodes. I for one would've love to seen Mantenna, Leech, Snout Spout, Dragstor, or other She-Ra characters appear in the show.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
They don't. If it's popular, it will run for longer. It's important to remember that online chatter has never accurately reflected the real-world. If She-Ra is ending at 52, that suggests it wasn't popular enough for Netflix to order more episodes beyond their minimum amount.

Some might try to save face with a "we always planned to end it by episode XYZ" response but that's real dubious. We're dealing with kids cartoons, some of which are literally based on toys. If there is money to be made, someone will try to squeeze every last penny. That excuse is usually only revealed after we've learned a show's been axed.
There have been no real She-Ra toys. The 52 episode thing was almost certainly always the game-plan.

Takao

There have been no real She-Ra toys. The 52 episode thing was almost certainly always the game-plan.

In the sense that was all they were guaranteed on day-1, sure. I'm not convinced there weren't aspirations for more should it have proven popular enough for Netflix to ask. People like having consistent work.

I think it's telling that the other MOTU projects coming to Netflix seem to be completely unrelated to DreamWorks She-Ra. Trollhunters spawned its own little franchise.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
In the sense that was all they were guaranteed on day-1, sure. I'm not convinced there weren't aspirations for more should it have proven popular enough for Netflix to ask. People like having consistent work.

I think it's telling that the other MOTU projects coming to Netflix seem to be completely unrelated to DreamWorks She-Ra. Trollhunters spawned its own little franchise.
I'm pretty sure I've read interviews with the creator that 4 seasons was always the gameplan. And I'm excited it's going down the way she intended.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Even Voltron may have gone on a little too long with 78 episodes.
Actually, Voltron was always intended to be a 78-episode series, according to the showrunners. In fact, the show's third to sixth seasons were originally intended to be the third and fourth 13-episode seasons before it was split into four seasons of 6-7 episodes (7-6-6-7) plus She-Ra's second and third seasons were originally be the second 13-episode season before it was split into two seasons.

JakobTV

Rhyme Time Town finally has a date. It premieres June 19 on Netflix.

I wonder who is working on the show?

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Here's the trailer for Madagascar: A Little Wild. It comes out September 7.

Screenshot_20200820-100805.png

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
Today marks 4 years since Comcast has acquired DreamWorks Animation.

Nine years ago, Warner Bros. was thought to acquire DWA. But ultimately that wasn't meant to be.

latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/07/dreamworks-animation-deal-with-warner-bros-appears-unlikely.html

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy Father's Day!
I swear to God, no one really hates Cartoon Cartoons/CN Studios library more than Warner Bros. Discovery do.
Ultraman Rising is the #6 movie on Netflix Worldwide.
Inside Out 2 is gonna be doing huge box office numbers.

Featured Posts