"Invasion America" is the one Dreamworks animated miniseries that they don't want you to know they made.

thisithis

Made in 1988 under Steven Spielberg and the late Harve Bennett through the DreamWorks Animation brand and aired on the Late WB Network came Invasion America a mini-series that DreamWorks Animation doesn't want you to know that they made or had anything to do with its creation, even though DreamWorks Animation is all over the project. It started as a dream project of Steven Spielberg who always wanted to make a mature animated mini-series in Prime Time. Even the show was aired in Prime Time with mostly mild violence and little blood and one young alien kid getting hit by a rocket disintegrating the poor kid, the show was a mess and I have no clue who's head rolled first. Even today NBC/Universal or Comcast still has full rights over the mini-series and refuses to print a DVD or Bly-Ray of the mini-series and won't even put it on their streaming service Peacock or their European streaming service Sky Network. Funny because Warner Bros did not retain any rights to Invasion America. And after Harve Bennett passed away any remaining rights went back to DreamWorks Animation. Like after DreamWorks Animation was bought out by Universal, in 2016 NBC/Universal took the failing Universal Animation Studios and merged it into DreamWorks Animation making all Universal Animation Studios' properties now owned by DreamWorks Animation including Exosquad and many others. What a mess.

PS, I don't know where else to post this because there's no Dreamworks Animation section to post onto.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
It always puzzled me as to why the show was buried after its run. I loved it at the time, watching it during primetime with my family. I never saw the edited Saturday morning version but I remembered seeing the promos. I bought the promo hype and I thought the show was a big deal back then. I understand why it fizzled but I don't get why it never made it to home media or streaming. And somehow Father of the Pride did.

Thinking back, the show really meshed with the WB Channel's stylized animation aesthetic of the time (Men in Black, Calamity Jane, New Batman Adventures). Spielberg's name on anything animated seemed like a license to print money in the 90s, and that's probably the only reason they got to run this on broadcast primetime. Outside of special airings of Batman, X-Men, Spider-Man, Batman Beyond, etc, it was probably the only action series to air on broadcast primetime since Jonny Quest.

I haven't fully seen it since the 90s, so I can't attest to the quality, but I was happy to experience it.

Last edited:

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I think one of my "Kids WB" VHS recordings (from 1998 or 1999) has a commercial for the broadcast of this mini-series on Saturday mornings (I guess it was the rebroadcast, if it first aired in prime time. I wasn't aware of it airing in prime time first). I never watched it (I was too busy watching Batman Beyond or Pokemon, LOL).

I could tell it was an experimental mini-series. Because it was a mini-series spread out across Saturday mornings (for the rebroadcast), it made me think of when Fox Kids aired "Red Planet" (a 3 episode mini-series) a few years earlier in the 90's, though that was on Saturday mornings only.

I heard of this show. Hats Off Media is doing a video series on the adult animated series of various TV and streaming networks, and he had a section for this in his video on The WB.

I for some reason was hoping the video would be about when "Pinkie and the Brain", "Superman" and "Batman Beyond" aired in prime time on the WB, but it's about "Oblongs" and "Baby Blues", LOL.

Last edited:

thisithis

I could tell it was an experimental mini-series. Because it was a mini-series spread out across Saturday mornings (for the rebroadcast), it made me think of when Fox Kids aired "Red Planet" (a 3 episode mini-series) a few years earlier in the 90's, though that was on Saturday mornings only.
Well, Red Planet is based on a Robert A. Heinlein novel of the same name. His Starship Troopers inspired many different TV shows, video games, Japanese anime, and movies the list keeps going on.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

If I had a nickel for every time a Netflix preschool show had a same sex wedding, I'd have 2 nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's cool that it happened twice. I'm referring to Ada Twist Scientist and Princess Power by the way.
I recently decided that I will be covering a really bad children's cartoon that's been on my radar for a while over on my blog. I can't really talk about it on here because of this show's nature, but I'm bored enough and I think someone needs to analyze the show I'm talking about and yank it apart.
Come on and slam, and welcome to the jam.
Can one of the moderators here update the media embedding tool, so X can be one of the approved websites?
Well, Disney's Primos has apparently been delayed again with no announced release date, and of course the YT trolls are talking victory laps. I hope the show hasn't been permanently shelved; I don't want the haters to win.

Featured Posts