DreamWorks Animation News and Discussion Thread

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
Man, you'd think Bonnie Arnold would have been the top pick since animated movies is what she does but okay. I really am surprised by this news but still interested to see what happens now. Hope neither arm from DWA loses its creativity. And I for sure hope the Shorts department is safe.

Dudley

Staff member
As some know already, HTTYD 3 is out in some international markets as of the 3rd. Here's the new logo, albeit recorded by someone in New Zealand.

Sounds like a medley of sorts. Visually not too impressive.

Chris de Faria will be stepping down as president of DreamWorks Feature Animation Group following the worldwide release of How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World. He’ll be replaced by Marjorie Cohn, who will also continue to oversee TV operations.
DreamWorks Animation Shake-Up: Margie Cohn Named President, Chris DeFaria to Depart (Exclusive)

Good for her!

Nexonius

Now that How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World is doing great in the box office early before its wider release, it's more than safe to say that Universal does an infinitely better job at promoting DreamWorks Animation movies than Paramount or 20th Century Fox, especially the latter. I've seen them all across the NBCU networks, something that didn't happen before for a DWA movie.

Hell, maybe the movie can win some big awards from the critic and box office performance.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
So do people here think Dream Works is doing better work on the big screen or with their streaming TV projects nowadays?

Nexonius

So do people here think Dream Works is doing better work on the big screen or with their streaming TV projects nowadays?

Well, considering that HTTYD 3 hasn't come out entirely along with the fact that it's been a full year without a DWA film since 2017 it'll currently have to be the TV unit.

Also, just confirming what I kept researching on that Kipo project, plus some shows that already ended production eons ago, with the addition of the unofficially announced shows that were listed last year. Of course, it will be updated.

Nexonius

Well there are new positions since Margie Cohn was appointed president.

Also, 25 shows in active production.

Nexonius

Looks like that new Marooned short will finally be released this year.

Also, there's going to be a first look into the new animated Fast and Furious series along with storyboarder Rad Sechrist appearing for his project (Kipo most likely).

Nexonius

I've been on LinkedIn and I've been looking for more shows I haven't heard of being in production and I encountered an account that states that an CG live action hybrid TV series is in the works.

Nexonius

Peter Gal talks about upping the ante on making more original IPs. In addition to that he mentions adult oriented animated series, which is what Sony is doing with their Animation unit in terms of features and shows.

Hopefully adult oriented movies could be in the cards as well.

Nexonius

Looks like Universal Animation Studios is back to making Curious George material (material in general), after three years of its initial announcement of new episodes. The new DTV Curious George: Royal Monkey will hit DVD and Digital Sept. 10th.

Only stating this in the DWA thread because of the UAS studio now being intertwined into DreamWorks' animation facilities

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter

The promo was attached to the Uglydolls DVD and digital release. I asked Wes Gleason if he's the voice director , and he is.

Last edited:

Nexonius

Today marks three years since DreamWorks Animation has been part of NBCUniversal. One film under Universal Pictures has been released to great success. Now there's Abominable that's coming next month.

In a span of three years, things have changed. We saw Universal Animation Studios and DreamWorks Animation Television have the same team. Shows that aren't based on DWA properties started to finally ramp up. Universal properties suited for whatever audience are being developed by DWA for Netflix, Hulu and Amazon deals for many shows in the pipeline, adult shows are being looked at, shorts are being made, multiple nominations and winnings over the last three years, and DTVs are in the works. Plus the DWA old and new product airing on Universal Kids.

With corporate backing, DWA can certainly do more than what they were able to do while independent.

Last edited:

Nexonius

Belinda King is writing a feature that's directed by Elaine Bogan and produced by Guillermo del Toro.

Indirectly mentions a new DWA show, Cleopatra In Space which is not listed but fits the previous article from two years back, to come out next year.

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
Mainframe/Rainmaker is hiring to work on an unannounced DreamWorks TV show.

DreamWorks has worked with Bardel and DHX on a number of projects, but I believe this is the first time they've partnered with Mainframe/Rainmaker.

wiley207

So "Scared Shrekless" is going to now be part of Freeform's "31 Nights of Halloween" programming. I can kind of see why; after ABC dumped "Scared Shrekless" in 2013 in favor of Pixar's "Toy Story of Terror" (yet they still run "Shrek the Halls"), it hasn't run on TV much since then.
But given ABC will probably not renew their contract to air the Peanuts specials once it expires in 2020, who knows what'll happen? For all I know, "Scared Shrekless" could start running on NBC in the future, where the more recent DreamWorks specials air (fitting, given the Comcast ownership.)

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Anyone remember Invasion America? I read about it a while back and noticed it ended on a cliffhanger.

Maybe NBC can do a season 2.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts