Unconventional or unpopular opinions you have (re: animation)

AngusTinMan16

That’s not how life works either, though.

There’ll always be an absolute toxicity in belittling and insulting others for what they like, but in the same breath there’s also toxicity in shutting down WHY someone doesn’t like something.

Both are a threat to processing things. Telling people they’re not allowed to express what they don’t like is ALSO harmful.

Whether you think one is worse than the other is up to you, but no one really knows balance these days anyway.

I already know. I changed my message a bit yesterday. It's not easy trying to be sane when on Twitter, because of one or two mistakes, I'm treated as the next Jack Warner/Odalia Blight (Not in a million years, I ain't).

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I change my opinions on pop culture ALL THE TIME. My mind is completely open and willing to be changed. You think my reviews are wrong? Tell me why. If your argument is right, I might learn something.

For the record, this mindset of mine completely frustrates my critics. They are always trying to trip me up about how I said something different about a project in one review than how I reviewed the project itself. Well, yeah. Time and distance almost always changes my opinions. I remember things differently in hindsight to how they were when I saw them. If the good things were more memorable I'll have a more favorable hindsight opinion than I did at the time. And if the bad things are the things I remembered, I'll give it a harder time than I did in the initial review.

This really makes a LOT of people unhappy for some reason. The idea that my opinions shift and change over time is something I feel is true for all people, but it's not something most people are willing to admit. Is it because it's like saying you were wrong about something once upon a time? I literally don't see the big deal there.

If someone is willing to flip their opinion about something on a dime based solely on popular opinion, then that thing is clearly not something that their passionate about.
I can't speak for me, because I famously have opinions nobody else shares. But if someone wants to go along to get along online, I have no problems with that. There are plenty of popular franchises I don't really dig (like The Big Bang Theory) but I don't make a federal case out of it not just because my opinion isn't strong, but I don't feel like starting an online argument over it. Somebody not having passion for a given project and just telling it's fans "You do you" is perfectly acceptable to me.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
@Fone Bone: I'm not about to start an argument with someone solely based on what they think about a TV show, movie, cartoon character or work of fiction. I firmly believe in "You do you". I meant people who feel one way about something or have no strong opinion about something and then completely change their tune when they see someone or something popular like Nostalgia Critic, the Angry Video Game Nerd or Family Guy making fun of it. "I didn't know about that thing, but now I hate that thing because FG, AVGN or NC says it's bad." Watch that thing for yourself and then formulate your own opinion of it. If you like it, it shouldn't matter if NC, AVGN or FG or SNL made fun of it. All of those things are also entertainment. Doug Walker and James Rolfe aren't life coaches; they're just guys on the internet who have opinions. How they think and feel about something shouldn't influence how you think and feel about it. You're your own person with your own brain and your own tastes. Don't come at me with "Well, Mr. Enter thinks this way.", because my response is going to be: "I couldn't care less what Mr. Enter thinks. Tell me what you think!".

I've had folks on the internet (including on this very forum) who have accused me of "Telling people what to think." and I've never done that in my life; I only tell people what I think. There's a huge difference. I'm just some rando on the internet whose opinion doesn't carry the weight of sunlight. That I have someone's ear for even a fleeting moment is good enough for me.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I don't watch those YouTube videos. Never seen 'em. I'm also perfectly capable of telling whether Family Guy's slams are fair or unfair. They deal both and I can tell which ones are true.

Edit:

Also I dispute the idea that the opinions of Mr. Enter and his ilk are popular. They are LOUD, and get attention, but I doubt most regular people share them.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Do many people take his word as gospel though? Every time I hear Mr. Enter brought up it's to complain about him. I think he's only a major pop-culture influencer in his own mind. We don't need to feed that delusion. Stop giving him oxygen.

Pooky

Staff member
Definitely c.2010 you couldn't throw a cyber rock without hitting someone on the internet who thought Doug Walker's word was gospel, but I never met anyone in real life like that, and in retrospect I realise how young his disciples would have been.

Mr Enter though, big fish in a small pond at most.

Ace

Ace
I don't think Enter is everything wrong to ever happen the animation community. He was just one of the early faces that happened to take advantage of a blossoming YouTube subgenre and because of that people think he caused a lot of what's wrong with it but since then there's been a lot of drama with other various reviewers and people within the community.

Now I understand why he's controversial. He blows things out of proportion. However, while I can criticize Enter I do think people should avoid all out contrarianism. You can point out the usual victims of his hyperbolism like say Breadwinners or post movie Spongebob but I think most people disliked them even without Enter's input. In fact a lot of the time he was just telling his audience what they wanted to hear. I don't think he has bad taste most of the time it's his way of wording and articulating his criticisms.

Last edited:

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
I change my opinions on pop culture ALL THE TIME. My mind is completely open and willing to be changed. You think my reviews are wrong? Tell me why. If your argument is right, I might learn something.

For the record, this mindset of mine completely frustrates my critics. They are always trying to trip me up about how I said something different about a project in one review than how I reviewed the project itself. Well, yeah. Time and distance almost always changes my opinions. I remember things differently in hindsight to how they were when I saw them. If the good things were more memorable I'll have a more favorable hindsight opinion than I did at the time. And if the bad things are the things I remembered, I'll give it a harder time than I did in the initial review.

This really makes a LOT of people unhappy for some reason. The idea that my opinions shift and change over time is something I feel is true for all people, but it's not something most people are willing to admit. Is it because it's like saying you were wrong about something once upon a time? I literally don't see the big deal there.

I can't speak for me, because I famously have opinions nobody else shares. But if someone wants to go along to get along online, I have no problems with that. There are plenty of popular franchises I don't really dig (like The Big Bang Theory) but I don't make a federal case out of it not just because my opinion isn't strong, but I don't feel like starting an online argument over it. Somebody not having passion for a given project and just telling it's fans "You do you" is perfectly acceptable to me.
I do agree with this. Anyone trying to play GOTCHA with old opinions (especially if they're over a decade ago) isn't arguing in good faith. They act like people aren't allowed to change their minds on anything, ever. There are many shows I initially praised, only to look back on them and go "What was I thinking?" For me a good example is Catscratch.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I do agree with this. Anyone trying to play GOTCHA with old opinions (especially if they're over a decade ago) isn't arguing in good faith. They act like people aren't allowed to change their minds on anything, ever. There are many shows I initially praised, only to look back on them and go "What was I thinking?" For me a good example is Catscratch.
My opinions can change in six months time. Hell, they can change overnight if I rewatch something and it hits me entirely differently. People online REALLY dislike the notion that people are allowed to change their mind about pop culture. My opinions and my reviews are not locked in and "set canon". They will invariably shift and evolve over time.

Edit:

Also should point out my new opinions might not necessarily be as accurate as my old ones, given I haven't seen the project in awhile. I think that's okay too.

Last edited:

[classic swim]

SwimShady
I don't think Enter is everything wrong to ever happen the animation community. He was just one of the early faces that happened to take advantage of a blossoming YouTube subgenre and because of that people think he caused a lot of what's wrong with it but since then there's been a lot of drama with other various reviewers and people within the community.

Now I understand why he's controversial. He blows things out of proportion. However, while I can criticize Enter I do think people should avoid all out contrarianism. You can point out the usual victims of his hyperbolism like say Breadwinners or post movie Spongebob but I think most people disliked them even without Enter's input. In fact a lot of the time he was just telling his audience what they wanted to hear. I don't think he has bad taste most of the time it's his way of wording and articulating his criticisms.

People pointed out his disability to defend against those cruelly pummeling on him. Which I’m not a doctor, and I don’t make judgement calls on serious things I know absolutely nothing about as a perfectly able guy.

The only thing I judged him on was the content of his character. I don’t know how ableist it is to say I still believe he was responsible enough for any damage he caused when he was a grown toxic nerd in the early 2010s.

Everyone will point to those clips of him tearing apart writers of children’s shows piece by piece and accusing them of all sorts of heinous things in bad faith.

The thing that immensely pissed off only myself in particular was his 12 oz. Mouse review.

My bias is showing like crazy, and I’d get it if the show was a real genuine nuisance but it was not. It was a 11 minute cartoon done on office printer paper, Sundays at midnight that you could’ve easily turned away from if you didn’t get it.

The way Ozmo got the boot from Lazzo the first time was done so unprofessionally, and it still had no reach even disregarding that. Besides that show & Squidbillies being the dumb cartoon outrage of ‘05.

Then Enter goes and makes that video for this niche and swiftly cancelled series only to additionally kill not just the reputation but any web discussion even further. For years, that review was the only reach. His video again was just incoherent, accusatory and generalist scathing that a lot of folks ate up. It only made unjustifiable hate against cast and crew even worse.

That’s just a lot of what Enter’s worst material boiled down to. He was insanely impressionable for an already rabid series of young YouTube users, and only set a bad example in how to dissect media in a way that was civil and logical.

He wouldn’t have been so damaging if he wasn’t also among the first to really critique animation in that specific web format.

I made a point in my last post here about people being allowed to dislike things, but this where he crossed a unique line. He ALWAYS made it a passionate personal attack, and he always made sure to list his vendetta from time to time.

I’m glad he “got better” but he’ll still always need to reflect on his old behavior and what not to do just like everyone else.

The late Emer Prevost made much better points about him than what I’ve listed.

Ace

Ace
I do agree with some points people made about him. Especially seeing some of his reviews where he accuses the writers of having a f**ish like in his Sanjay and Craig review. Although he's not the only one that says that kind of stuff about cartoons.

I do kind of miss seeing more wacky goofy kids stuff that was more so meant to be funny and wierd rather than being taken in the most unflattering ways possible.

Last edited:

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
You guys (@Fone Bone / @Goldstar! / @Classic Speedy / @Ace / @[classic swim] / @AngusTinMan16) brought up some very fantastic points because I feel the same way as you guys for many years.

That's one of the main reasons why I really don't express my opinions online back then was because people on the internet can so ruthless and act like mean girls (or guys) over differing opinions over a freaking TV show or a fictional character that it is kinda hard for me to express my opinions anymore without someone being a complete jerk-ass towards me (or in worst case scenario: being racially insensitive towards me).

I really despise John Enter for influencing impressionable viewers with his irrational attitude thinking that's how you review TV shows. Even I back when I was teen when he reviews MLP Season 4, he was so rude and bitter. It did kinda triggered me a little bit because of his anger and tactful personality and I don't really trust him at all. It did give me the vibe of "if you like something, then you are a bad person" almost as if they're trying to insult me. It's okay to not like the episodes, but going as far as to send death threats to the writers is not okay and you're taking things way too far.

Besides from that, another thing that pisses me off is that a lot of people trying to pull a "gotcha" moment on opinions that were different back then and trying to trip me up, and paint as "hypocrites". Little they know that opinions change overtime. It's not written in stone. There were some shows I used to like back then to now where I thought it was complete trash. Case in point, Pig Goat Banana Cricket.

What I'm trying to get here is that it's okay to like/not like something, but just don't be a jerk about it and I'll listen to you. However, at the same time, don't shut down on people who have a opposing opinions than you do, otherwise, what was the point of having a civilize discussion?

So that's my take on it.

Last edited:

[classic swim]

SwimShady
That's one of the main reasons why I really don't express my opinions online back then was because people on the internet can so ruthless and act like mean girls (or guys) over differing opinions over a freaking TV show or a fictional character that it is kinda hard for me to express my opinions anymore without someone being a complete jerk-ass towards me (or in worst case scenario: being racially insensitive towards me).
I’ll never forget when I explained why I thought Bordertown would indefinitely suck and Animation Domination fans just called me a bunch of racial slurs.

Over BORDERTOWN.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
I’ll never forget when I explained why I thought Bordertown would indefinitely suck and Animation Domination fans just called me a bunch of racial slurs.

Over BORDERTOWN.
Aw man. I'm so sorry, dude. I swear, people needs to be so stop so sensitive over opinions on a freaking CARTOON. Especially saying things that were completely crossing the line.

Ace

Ace
I feel like throwing one more in here. People dislike Teen Titans Go!, modern Spongebob and also adult shows like Big Mouth, South Park or Family Guy for lasting so long but I think the real reason why they've lasted as long is because there haven't been too many cartoons fully embracing the more wackier crazier fun comedic side of animation.

AngusTinMan16

JMTV, you forgot to give me thanks given that I was the one who started it?
You guys (@Fone Bone / @Goldstar! / @Classic Speedy / @Ace / @[classic swim] ) brought up some very fantastic points because I feel the same way as you guys for many years.

I really despise John Enter for influencing impressionable viewers with his irrational attitude thinking that's how you review TV shows. Even I back when I was teen when he reviews MLP Season 4, he was so rude and bitter. It did kinda triggered me a little bit because of his anger and tactful personality and I don't really trust him at all. It did give me the vibe of "if you like something, then you are a bad person" almost as if they're trying to insult me. It's okay to not like the episodes, but going as far as to send death threats to the writers is not okay and you're taking things way too far.

Besides from that, another thing that pisses me off is that a lot of people trying to pull a "gotcha" moment on opinions that were different back then and trying to trip me up, and paint as "hypocrites". Little they know that opinions change overtime. It's not written in stone. There were some shows I used to like back then to now where I thought it was complete trash. Case in point, Pig Goat Banana Cricket.

What I'm trying to get here is that it's okay to like/not like something, but just don't be a jerk about it and I'll listen to you. However, at the same time, don't shut down on people who have a opposing opinions than you do, otherwise, what was the point of having a civilize discussion?

So that's my take on it.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Al Jean hoping The Simpsons makes it to 1000 episodes sounds more like a threat than a promise, especially with how Julie Kavner's voice has been sounding.
Veronica Taylor posted on Twitter that Rachael Lillis has been ill for a few months, and posted the link to a GoFundMe set up by Rachael's sister Laurie. I will post it here:

Here's an Intel Pentium MMX commercial featuring the voice of Casey Kasem, along with a certain disco hit song:

Boomerang might as well join Nicktoons and TeenNick now.

Featured Posts