The "For Portlanders Only" Update Thread

Chris

I am a DuMont production.
Joe Ranieri, weather guy from KPTV, is now on KGW. You don't think they trade people like sports teams do, do you?

Chris

KOIN has started playing the national anthem every morning at 3:59am. Apparently it's a different one each time. If Pete could record one and put it on the FPO site, that would be really groovy.

Here is what I think is the very first version of the "Spirit of the Northwest" theme tune KATU had used for its promo plugs, in 1988.

Complete lyrics:
The spirit of the Northwest!
It's alive and it's been on the rise
One look, and you'll see it
We share your dreams and treasured pride
The Northwest spirit, you've got it!

It's alive on Channel 2
Come help us celebrate the spirit of the Northwest with you!
(The spirit of the Northwest!)

It's in every helping hand
One touch, and you'll feel it
There's something special across the land
The Northwest spirit, you've got it!

It's alive on Channel 2
Celebrate the spirit of the Northwest on K-A-T-U!

I also remember seeing a 30-second version, which contains only the first part of the jingle in the first key (E flat) and I remember this 30-second version of the jingle was either completely instrumental, or have just the last line of the chorus sung.

~Ben

Last edited:

Chris

Channel 2 is going to air the entire exploding whale story tonight at 11. I'll try to tape it.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Channel 2 is going to air the entire exploding whale story tonight at 11. I'll try to tape it.
DANGIT! I didn't see this post until it was too late. Did you actually get it in HD or did you have to use VHS?

EDIT: Oh, wait.

Last edited:

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Oh yeah -- had to get this up before the day was through, the 1996 rediscovery of the footage:

I did not tape "Whale Of A Tale" myself, but I did find a partially taped airing at Goodwill.

I've uploaded several videos over the last two weeks, actually. We'll see how long I can keep the momentum going before I slack off again.

Chris

KVDO, channel 3, Salem, seen in the OEPBS signoff sequences, returns. It's now a QVC affiliate. Yes. QVC is now on broadcast TV.

Chris

A long time ago, CourtTV switched to being called TruTV and a format change as well. I guess someone decided to bring CourtTV back and put it on a digital subchannel.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
As of today, you can watch Portland channels over the Internet for free through something called Locast:

I tried it, but I can't get it to work. The app thinks I live in Sacramento, CA and I can't convince it otherwise. On the other hand this does mean I can watch local channels from Sacramento, if there's some kind of advantage to that.

TheMisterFree

As of today, you can watch Portland channels over the Internet for free through something called Locast:

I tried it, but I can't get it to work. The app thinks I live in Sacramento, CA and I can't convince it otherwise. On the other hand this does mean I can watch local channels from Sacramento, if there's some kind of advantage to that.
That means you get a better ABC affiliate that isn't owned by Sinclair in KOVR-13, and KCRA-3, one of the most dominant NBC affiliates in the entire country -- they were the ones who coined the slogan Where The News Comes First, to the point of trademarking it!

But yeah, Locast is annoying -- the preroll ads, the ads that interfere and cause you to go back to the guide -- they really need to get a handle on things.

Chris

I wish Salem had a major network affiliate of some kind, I don't care which one. If Eugene can, then Salem should have one, too.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts