The "For Portlanders Only" Update Thread

Chris

I am a DuMont production.
Hey, Pete, are you going to tape that KATU special about how to save Portland Monday night at 6? I thought it might be interesting in a historical perspective.

Chris

Elizabeth Dinh is now on KOIN. She was on KPTV. I know nobody cares, but I find it odd when anchors jump ship to a different local station.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
One thing I haven't done in a while is surf YT for uploaded Portland commercials and ask the uploaders if they'd consider donating them to FPO. The problem is I haven't NEEDED to; I'm sitting on an Everest-sized mound of backup material now. I've been uploading more frequently these days too...if you haven't seen the site in a while you'll have a lot to catch up on.

Chris

It's amazing what you can find on YouTube. I was going to post "I Remember Bob," (a half-hour special on Bob the Weather Cat) but it was already up. Mine's a better quality though.

Chris

I'm planning on recording the 5 o'clock news on Sunday because of the all-time hottest weather ever recorded. On whatever station it's on. Last Sunday, only channel 6 had news on at 5pm.

Chris

KPTV got rid of "More Good Day Oregon" and just extended "Good Day Oregon" until 10 a.m.

Chris

Just so you know, KATU is airing an ad for its 60th anniversary. It has lots of historical things, like Bumpity, and the exploding whale, but one glaring omission is Bob the Weather Cat!

Chris

Yep, there he is. I guess I missed it. It was kind of hard to see since he was dressed in a yellow rain coat.

Chris

Unfortunately I can't record local stations any more. It gives me a stupid copyright message if I dare try to with a cable box. I wonder if I can still record them if I use an antenna.

Was looking through a tape from 1992-3 and found a couple of interesting things. Like a Rubenstein's ad, a Thriftway ad, and a news segment of KGW at 11pm.
Speaking of Thriftway ads, would you happen to have any from the 1979-86 period (the infamous "You Save More" jingle)? A longer version of this jingle opens with the following lines: "Part of the community, food of highest quality..."

Here's one that's part of a block of commercials aired on KGW 8 July 27, 1982 that has a melancholy, laid-back vibe:

~Ben

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Speaking of Thriftway ads, would you happen to have any from the 1979-86 period (the infamous "You Save More" jingle)? A longer version of this jingle opens with the following lines: "Part of the community, food of highest quality..."

Here's one that's part of a block of commercials aired on KGW 8 July 27, 1982 that has a melancholy, laid-back vibe:

~Ben
Yeah, I have some of those. I don't know where they are at the moment, though.

DevanDrake99.5

Peter, how did you came up with posting Portland nostalgia back when you started the FPO page? What was FPO about? I'm starting my own blog similar to FPO, but in Boise, ID, except mostly newspaper clippings from Boise since the pre-recorded VHS tapes at thrift stores from where I live are extremely hard to find. I do have hands on the VHS material from Boise from eBay, but how did you get your hands on other VHS tapes containing Portland material besides eBay? You find them at thrift stores, or you received them from Platapus contributors?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy birthday to Matt Vogel (52) and Kirsten Day (40).

The internet explodes today...Get ready for the trailer of a lifetime.
today is the day of the Mario movie trailer
I know this is nerdy pedantry but it bug me when writers refer to cartoons that aired in Prime Time or Syndication as "Saturday Morning Cartoons". I don't expect the average person to know/care, but when you're writing an article or a video essay? Come on, you should get that right.
Oh hey today is my 8th anniversary here, I regret sometimes not making my account sooner, since I knew about this place as early as 2012. Anyhow time sure flies.

Featured Posts