Potential Future B:TAS/DCAU Projects - News and Speculation Thread

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
In truth, I think it would be quite risky to ''pick up'' where the last episode of B:TAS left off. Nostalgia is a powerful drug and as Timm acknowledges in many interviews, it would never and could never be the same show. Most of us will always remember B:TAS through the lens of childhood and can ignore any flaws because of the impact it had.

Alot would change if ''new episodes'' were produced today.

1.) The stories and pacing would be much faster. Timm would edit things differently today and wouldn't want to mimic his thought process 25 years ago.
2.) Certain characters would have to be recast (It was weird not hearing Efrem on the recent VR thing), while those still with us are much older and you can definitely hear it in thier voices (Hamill especially).
3.) Digital vs. Ink & Paint - The charm of B:TAS was helped immeasurably by the look and feel of the animation. The dirt, specs and softer look helped sell that film noir vibe.

I would love it to happen, but its a big risk... something that could end up like Arrested Development season 4. Nice to see the gang back together, but theres something unmistakably off about it all.

Much easier to return to the world of JLU.

Frontier

Staff member
I would just hope that with any DCAU revival, be it BTAS or a JLU reunion, has Timm working with some strong collaborators to try and capture the quality of those series again.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I would just hope that with any DCAU revival, be it BTAS or a JLU reunion, has Timm working with some strong collaborators to try and capture the quality of those series again.

I agree. I will always love Timm for past works, but some of his recent stuff has been more dodgy...

That said, let's all be honest: if they were to announce a new DCAU show on the streaming service, we'd all sign up in moments. Heck, I'd be first in line! Even people who are anti-streaming would go for it.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Just so everyone knows, the word of potential future Batman: The Animated Series projects coming from WonderCon is bogus. To those referencing the story on CBR (which has since been removed), it was a miscommunication concerning the topic of discussion. Panelists were discussing the future Blu-ray release of the series.

Light Lucario

Staff member
That is too bad. The idea of some kind of continuation of the DCAU sounded pretty neat and it would be a huge selling point for their streaming service. At least they cleared up the miscommunication relatively soon after the rumors started to spread.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Definitely a shame... but hopefully somebody at WB will see the value in something connected to the DCAU. A JLU or Batman Beyond continuation seems like a no brainer for the streaming service.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
That's cool. He did reprise the role for Brainiac Attacks then the two Superman/Batman movies and I think JL: Doom. Newbern I think he did Superman on The Batman, the Superman/Shazam! short, Superman vs. The Elite, and an Injustice game. Then I believe Newbern is the voice of Steve Trevor in the ongoing DTV canon. So I think they're definitely both cool with still voicing Superman some more, imo.

Frontier

Staff member
That's cool. He did reprise the role for Brainiac Attacks then the two Superman/Batman movies and I think JL: Doom. Newbern I think he did Superman on The Batman, the Superman/Shazam! short, Superman vs. The Elite, and an Injustice game. Then I believe Newbern is the voice of Steve Trevor in the ongoing DTV canon. So I think they're definitely both cool with still voicing Superman some more, imo.
It's probably just a matter of who's available and who they feel is the right fit for the Superman of a given movie :).

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
If it's a Batman / Superman Adventures reunion, Daly should get it. If it's a JL/U reunion, Newbern should. Daly was the one who decided to pass on Justice League. Newbern shouldn't have to sit out a much wanted reunion because Daly thought The Fugitive would keep him too busy for years on end. That's on Daly, not

#TeamMike

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't want more DCAU. It had a great run and two great ends (Epilogue and Destroyer).

Even a DTV I would be skeptical about. Batman and Harley Quinn (which is supposed to emulate the B:TAS/DCAU feel) felt distasteful at points with the Nightwing/Harley Quinn bedroom scene. Likewise with Superman: Brainiac Attacks.

Mystery of the Batwoman which came out four years after TNBA ended was a decent watch, but I don't understand why they bothered to make it. It was an average B:TAS episode that didn't add anything to the DCAU.

Also, I imagine some VA's would be recast for whatever reason, which would really annoy me. 90% of the DCAU voices, even minor ones are the definitive portrayal for me. I like having consistency and a revival show/DTV could ruin that.

Last edited:

#TeamMike

Duane Capizzi said how that movie is not intended to be in the DCAU despite stylistically looking the same and getting some of the voices, unlike how Bruce Timm says Batman And Harley Quinn is in the DCAU.

Didn't Jim Krieg say it technically isn't DCAU? I think Batman and Harley Quinn is kind of like a parallel universe to the DCAU. If that makes sense. It's more of a "spiritual" successor to B:TAS than an actual followup.

And I don't think Timm is really certain.
"Technically this could be continuity or it could just be head-canon. I don’t know.” Basically personal interpretation.

Last edited:

DBTrilogy100

It's good that the rumors have been cleared up to avoid any confusion. I certainly would have been open to seeing some sort of continuation for the DCAU if it were to happen; like others, the DCAU was my gateway to those particular characters and many of the voice artists from the DCAU are the voices I hear in my head for those characters (I still switch between Tim Daly & George Newbern when it comes to Superman). I also like Bruce Timm's art style, I remember seeing some others describe it as "simple yet elegant" which is a sentiment I agree with.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
And I don't think Timm is really certain.
"Technically this could be continuity or it could just be head-canon. I don’t know.” Basically personal interpretation.
Personally I think Bruce Timm is either overthinking things or underthinking things. But his unsureness has to do with the fact that there have been several DCAU projects that he had nothing to do with that are considered DCAU canon. But the reason they are considered canon is because the producers of those projects did everything in their power to make them fit. If the same is true for Batman and Harley Quinn (and it doesn't actually contradict much if anything from the canon) than that's good enough. It's not simply that DC holds actual power over which canon is official. But the official stuff is by creators who went out of their way to make it fit.

Dusty

Superman.
I would kill to have another Justice League God’s And Monsters Movie or TV show... that would be killer.
I’d also love a WW or Aquaman series in BT style.
There’s so much fun stuff they could do.
I want the real story they mentioned in BB “Apokolips of 09”
Literally anything (except something at all resembling that disaster called Batman and Harley. )
:/

Kallum.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Twitter remains super toxic, I do not recommend spending more time on there than you have to. I have friends on there, but meh.
Today marks the 25th Year Anniversary of when the Original Game of the Super Smash Bros. Franchise was released in North America. It's quite surreal to see how far Nintendo's All-Star Battle Royale Franchise has come since its early days.
I watched the first episode of Yuru Camp this morning on a whim, though I did have slight influence from a Twitter friend who really likes it. Can't believe I waited until now to give it a shot, because I really enjoyed it.
I've said this before, but the Ignore button is a life saver.
Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.

Featured Posts