Potential Future B:TAS/DCAU Projects - News and Speculation Thread

• Enter to win two tickets to Whisper of the Heart. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Until it becomes more clear what it is, decided to make a temporary thread for some cryptic comments from the Sub-Zero panel at Wonder Con. Once some solid news comes, this will be moved to an existing thread if appropriate.

Warner Archive's Ferranti hinted there are new projects coming that should be specifically appealing to Batman: The Animated Series fans...

Reactions: 3 people

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
It would be pretty awesome if they revisited that series continuity, but I would be happy if they just tried making more movies using designs similar to the ones from Batman TAS or New Batman Adventures.

Reactions: Frontier

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Jul 24, 2007
UK/Ireland
pfeiffer-pfan.tumblr.com
He can't be hinting at the Blu-Ray release of B:TAS as they aren't handling it. The only thing Warner Archive can do now is release Batman Beyond or The Batman/Superman Movie (''World's Finest'') on Blu-Ray. I mean, it's kind of B:TAS related.

I love to see more in this continuity, but only if it's a proper attempt and not a simple re-use of character models such as Batman and Harley Quinn.

We'll just have to wait and see.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
This may be a weird comparison, but recently we learned the TV series "Roseanne" is coming back on TV after being off the air for 20 years. And the actors all say that it's like no time has passed, they're just picking up where they left off.

Well...wouldn't it be cool if Warner Bros. just decided "To heck with it, let's make another season." Just 13 more episodes (at least), no earth shattering multi-part episodes (no "let's tell the story of how "Batman" became "Batman Beyond"), just "slice of life" regular episodes featuring Batman vs. villains. Like the good old days. Make it happen, WB.

EDIT: Perhaps the better comparison is "Samurai Jack", which picked up right where it left off, from 2004 to 2017...although that was a multi-part "let's wrap up the story" thingy, which isn't what I want for B:TAS...

ShadowBeast

May 9, 2013
Elizabeth,NJ
Well...wouldn't it be cool if Warner Bros. just decided "To heck with it, let's make another season." Just 13 more episodes (at least), no earth shattering multi-part episodes (no "let's tell the story of how "Batman" became "Batman Beyond"), just "slice of life" regular episodes featuring Batman vs. villains. Like the good old days. Make it happen, WB.
Unless Arleen Sorkin makes a return, or the don't use Harley, I wouldn't want a Batman: TAS revival. Tara is a fantastic voice actress, but her Harley just doesn't fit.

EDIT: Perhaps the better comparison is "Samurai Jack", which picked up right where it left off, from 2004 to 2017...although that was a multi-part "let's wrap up the story" thingy, which isn't what I want for B:TAS...
Technically Samurai Jack didn't pick up right where it left off since there was a huge time-skip and the direction of the show was changed to add in a love-interest.

Reactions: 1 person

StorytellerMJ5

Jul 16, 2015
I would be much more interested in DC's new streaming service if it had a BTAS or DCAU related revival.

Because based off of what we know my interest level in that service is very very low.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
If they make a full new B:TAS or DCAU series then it will most likely go to the new DC Digital Service.

I think it's more probable they're teasing a possible movie (or line of movies) like they did the Adam West Batman or the revival of The Brave and the Bold (which admittedly was a cross-over with Scooby, but it still counts).

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
If there is a new DCAU series, I would subscribe to the Digital Service. Period.

My hope is a JLU continuation. One with no Bat-Embargo so they CAN explicitly continue some of the BTAS stuff.

Reactions: 1 person

brodie999

Jul 1, 2016
If they make a full new B:TAS or DCAU series then it will most likely go to the new DC Digital Service.

I think it's more probable they're teasing a possible movie (or line of movies) like they did the Adam West Batman or the revival of The Brave and the Bold (which admittedly was a cross-over with Scooby, but it still counts).
Yeah, the Equinox storyline was never properly resolved, so they definitely should revive The Brave and the Bold on DC's new streaming service.

The cast of Justice League want a reunion, so if they do it, it'll likely be a revival of JLU as well. Matt Wayne said if the show was renewed for a fourth season, he would have liked to write more episodes focusing on Superman and Wonder Woman. A revival would be his chance to do it.

iammattie

Aug 11, 2012
Georgia
On the one hand, I'm down for more, I actually didn't mind BHQ as much as everyone else seemed to.

On the other hand, I'm getting things pretty neatly tied down in my highly sourced DCAU timeline and I dread that a continuation may screw up some things.

Reactions: Fone Bone

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
On the one hand, I'm down for more, I actually didn't mind BHQ as much as everyone else seemed to.

On the other hand, I'm getting things pretty neatly tied down in my highly sourced DCAU timeline and I dread that a continuation may screw up some things.
Oh, it definitely will. But that's part of the fun.

iammattie

Aug 11, 2012
Georgia
Oh, it definitely will. But that's part of the fun.
My biggest concern is having to push Return of the Joker back further than 2007. I mean, there's precedence for it in Epilogue pushing BB to 50 years, and also putting the flashback "over 40 years" before the 65 year later mark rather than "almost 40 years" before what would then be the 50 year mark, BUT I DON'T WANT THEM TO CEMENT THAT ANY FURTHER

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I think it might be easier to make more movies set within the DCAU. New stand alone adventures set within the continuity could be fun, but a new series would be pretty awesome. Having a continuation of B:TAS or JLU on their streaming service would get a lot more people interested in trying it out. B:TAS is really popular and both series are nostalgic enough at this point that people would like to see a return to this continuity.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
My biggest concern is having to push Return of the Joker back further than 2007. I mean, there's precedence for it in Epilogue pushing BB to 50 years, and also putting the flashback "over 40 years" before the 65 year later mark rather than "almost 40 years" before what would then be the 50 year mark, BUT I DON'T WANT THEM TO CEMENT THAT ANY FURTHER
Moving timeline, dude. It helps everything. What do Zeta Project computers know anyways? :D

iammattie

Aug 11, 2012
Georgia
Moving timeline, dude. It helps everything. What do Zeta Project computers know anyways? :D
Zeta Project computers, or Old Bruce's who talk to time traveling Virgils, or aging Virgils, or Batman Beyond Animated Series guidebooks, or Toonami promo material, or the back of the Zeta Project season 2 box set, or Paul Dini's Return of the Joker screenplay which puts Tim in his 50's....... (or other things I'm probably forgetting.....)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
Zeta Project computers, or Old Bruce's who talk to time traveling Virgils, or aging Virgils, or Batman Beyond Animated Series guidebooks, or Toonami promo material, or the back of the Zeta Project season 2 box set, or Paul Dini's Return of the Joker screenplay which puts Tim in his 50's....... (or other things I'm probably forgetting.....)
Ironically, with the exception of the Zeta Project computer, none of those things provide actual dates for when the events occurred, so as long as any new DCAU project doesn't use real dates (which it probably won't), the timelines should be okay.

Of course it could also knock a bunch of stuff from the tie-in comics, which I understand you are covering, out of continuity, but that's bread and butter for Trekkies too, and we shouldn't consider the DCAU fandom exempt from that kind of thing.

iammattie

Aug 11, 2012
Georgia
Ironically, with the exception of the Zeta Project computer, none of those things provide actual dates for when the events occurred, so as long as any new DCAU project doesn't use real dates (which it probably won't), the timelines should be okay.

Of course it could also knock a bunch of stuff from the tie-in comics, which I understand you are covering, out of continuity, but that's bread and butter for Trekkies too, and we shouldn't consider the DCAU fandom exempt from that kind of thing.
Yeah, I've definitely knocked a decent bit of comics out already, would be a shame to have to knock more though. [But also the animated series guide specifically says 2038, the Toonami promo says 2039, The Zeta DVD set says 2040, Paul Dini's Screenplay says Tim is 51 (Tim's bio for TNBA says he's 13, Cold Comfort has a check on screen that says 1997 1997+38= 2035), Bruce says static hopscotched over 40 years (Virgil mentions Y2K was last year in Brother Sister Act, 2001+41=2042), etc etc etc] but I digress, I'm blasting a bunch of timeline info in a thread that's not really about that, so I'll keep it to our DM's right now unless there's a reason to continue here.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Amphibia looks pretty deece so far. The premise is like the isekai anime genre, except the main protagonist isn't stuck in a typical fantasy RPG world that most isekai anime take place in.
With all of the drama, hype and rumors going amok- past and present, inside and outside the animation community- I almost just want to escape, a la the late, great Jimi Hendrix:
I wish a happy 52nd birthday to Fred Tatasciore. He's known for many roles like the Hulk, Solomon Grundy, Rocksteady, Megatron, and many more.
This new "Amphibia" show actually looks interesting.
Noggin got a new logo