"The Death and Return of Superman " Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)

Discuss and Rate "The Death and Return of Superman"

• ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The two-part The Death of Superman and Reign of the Supermen animated features comes together as one unabridged epic feature-length adaptation!

The Death and Return of Superman
Studio:
Warner Bros. Animation, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment
Release Date: Digital HD, 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray. Blu-ray. DVD - October 1, 2019

Synopsis: The Death and Return of Superman finds Superman in a fight to the finish when the Man of Steel becomes the only hero who can stand in the way of the monstrous creature Doomsday and his unstoppable rampage. Superman saves the planet, but not himself, leaving Earth’s citizens – and his heroic contemporaries – dealing with a world without Superman. The aftermath of Superman’s death, and the subsequent disappearance of his body, leads to a new mystery – is Superman still alive? The question is further complicated when four new super-powered individuals – Steel, Cyborg Superman, Superboy and the Eradicator – emerge to proclaim themselves as the ultimate hero. In the end, only one will be able to proclaim himself the world’s true Superman.

Enhanced Content
Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack, Blu-ray Combo Pack and Digital*
-Long Live Superman (Featurette) – Superman is a symbol for hope across the world. Hear the story of how the Man of Tomorrow will always be the hero we need today. Long Live Superman!
-The Death of Superman: The Brawl That Topped Them All (Featurette) – Experience the battle between Superman and Doomsday like never before as creators of the iconic comic and the new film explore the nuances of “The Greatest Fight” with the help of a martial arts expert.
-Lex Luthor: The Greatest Nemesis (Featurette) – Evil Genius. Archenemy of Superman. Misunderstood hero? This documentary will look at one of the most renowned villains in literature and debate his ethics and motivations throughout his publication history and as the calculated anti-hero of Reign of the Supermen. We’ll also explore how Lex Luthor is emblematic of technology without limit, often demonstrating what effect unbridled power, resources, and influence can have on humanity. We’ll discuss the affinity for storytellers to associate Lex Luthor and with the field of science as they challenge our morals and integrity with real world issues such as cloning and what can happen if science fiction became science reality.
-From the DC Vault: Legion of Superheroes, “Dark Victory: Part 1
-From the DC Vault: Legion of Superheroes, “Dark Victory: Part 2
-From the DC Vault: Superman: The Animated Series, “Heavy Metal
-From the DC Vault: Justice League Unlimited, “Panic in the Sky
*Bonus content may vary between platforms

Discuss this epic-length DC Universe Movie right here! Thoughts?

Related Threads

-Reign of the Supermen Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)
-The Death of Superman Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)
-Reign of the Supermen Subsite (Spoilers)
-The Death of Superman Subsite (Spoilers)
-Superman: The Death And Return Of Superman Classic Comic Talkback (Spoilers)
-Superman: The Return of Superman Classic Comic Talkback (Spoilers)
-Superman: The Death of Superman Classic Comic Talkback (Spoilers)
-Superman/Doomsday Animated Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Spider-Man

The only new piece of animation I noticed is during the Superboy end credit scene where after he leaves the cloning room and opens the door Lex is there. Lex wasn't there in the version on Death of Superman. Is this the only bit? If so that is very very disappointing.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
The only new piece of animation I noticed is during the Superboy end credit scene where after he leaves the cloning room and opens the door Lex is there. Lex wasn't there in the version on Death of Superman. Is this the only bit? If so that is very very disappointing.
10/5: If that is the case, I would be irritated if I bought the past two releases and this one. Hmm, so this release would really benefit the hold outs who knew there would be a collection down the road and didn't buy the single releases. What a lost opportunity. I was hoping for some extra scenes set during the 6 month time skip.

10/8: Tucker says there's also
*Additional footage in the opening fight with Intergang
*An added scene of the Titans mourning the funeral.
*Superman and Lois flying to the Daily Planet
*Wonder Woman mourning alone.
*And also retimed scenes throughout, small dialogue tweaks

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
10/8: Tucker says there's also
*Additional footage in the opening fight with Intergang
*An added scene of the Titans mourning the funeral.
*Superman and Lois flying to the Daily Planet
*Wonder Woman mourning alone.
*And also retimed scenes throughout, small dialogue tweaks
I would actually like to see some of these scenes :).

Looks like they didn't add as much to Reign.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I would actually like to see some of these scenes :).

Looks like they didn't add as much to Reign.
10/8: I was planning to do some screengrabs and tweet them later today or tomorrow.

Yeah, I wonder if these were fully animated scenes they simply cut during editing or if they were finished and added to this collection later on.

True, surprised there wasn't anything new for the Supermen aside from the Superboy scene. vlcsnap-2019-10-08-21h45m53s221.jpgvlcsnap-2019-10-08-21h46m23s7.jpgvlcsnap-2019-10-08-21h46m35s129.jpgvlcsnap-2019-10-08-21h46m59s119.jpgvlcsnap-2019-10-08-21h50m18s57.jpgvlcsnap-2019-10-08-21h52m53s62.jpgvlcsnap-2019-10-08-21h52m58s121.jpgvlcsnap-2019-10-08-21h55m37s175.jpgvlcsnap-2019-10-08-21h55m50s38.jpgvlcsnap-2019-10-08-21h57m51s240.jpgvlcsnap-2019-10-08-21h58m25s84.jpgvlcsnap-2019-10-08-21h58m29s110.jpg

10/10: Added/Changed Scenes

1st Half - The Death of Superman
*03:58 to 04:47 mark: Mannheim crashes through a building and lands on top of a parked car. Superman descends on him and knocks him into a delivery truck. They charge each other and lock hands. Mannheim charges up and blasts him away then from above throws a car on top of him. Superman uses heat vision to slice the car in half then punches Mannheim. This lines up to the solo release of him hitting the side of the building then having his suit torn off.
*11:35 to 11: 40 mark: Extra bits of the flying to Daily Planet scene. Superman and Lois' back to audience flying towards the Daily Planet and descending from the roof's globe.
*1:13:06 to 1:13:18 mark: Titans Tower exterior shot followed by Teen Titans (Beast Boy, Nightwing, Starfire, Raven, Blue Beetle) watching the funeral on their big monitor screen. A standing shot of the team.
*1:15:45 to 1:16:03 mark: Wonder Woman stands atop the Parthenon like at start of Throne of Atlantis with Superman and mourns silently. Close up of side of her face.
*The order of a couple scenes are shifted around vs. the solo release
**In Collection:
***Superman's lifepod lands in Arctic Circle and Fortress of Solitude forms
***A new exterior night shot of Metropolis at 1:17:40 to 1:17:42 mark
***John Henry Irons pounding emblem in his lab
***Superboy leaving Cadmus
***A new bit at 1:18:12 to 1:18:19 mark of Lex already waiting in elevator as Superboy leaves and close up of Lex grinning
***Daily Planet exterior, Cat talks to Lois, Jimmy gets Lois
***The Superman tomb is found empty, they see a silhouette
***Cyborg Superman flies through space
**In Solo release:
***Daily Planet exterior shot, Cat talks to Lois, Jimmy gets Lois
***The Superman tomb is found empty, they see a silhouette
***The end credits roll
***Superboy leaves Cadmus
***End credits continue
***John Henry Irons pounds emblem in lab
***End credits continue
***Superman's lifepod lands in Arctic Circle and Fortress of Solitude forms
***The end credits continue
***Cyborg Superman flies through space
*No end credits of course. 1st Half ends at 1:19:50 mark

2nd Half - Reign of the Supermen
*1:19:51 to 1:20:02 mark: Black screen, Cat narrates with new lines about how crime rates increased, social unrest at an all time high, and the nation has lost all hope.
*No title screen of course and combined end credits.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Whenever I watch the RiffTrax version of The Apple, I get that "Hey, Hey, Hey, BIM's on the way!" song stuck in my head.

Plus, Alfie and Bibi's love song sounds kind of like the He-man/She-Ra song "I Have the Power".
Currently being forced to watch the Twilight Saga. Three more 2+ hour films to go.

Help. Me.
If Dick Dastardly ever returns in a SCOOB! sequel, I am sure he will be voiced by Mike Pollock. What do you think?
Twitter remains super toxic, I do not recommend spending more time on there than you have to. I have friends on there, but meh.
Today marks the 25th Year Anniversary of when the Original Game of the Super Smash Bros. Franchise was released in North America. It's quite surreal to see how far Nintendo's All-Star Battle Royale Franchise has come since its early days.

Featured Posts