James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Toonzone
www.worldsfinestonline.com
Discuss this classic Superman: The Animated Series episode!

Episode #34 - Heavy Metal
Original Airdate - November 8th, 1997.

Superman teams up with Steel (John Henry Irons), to take on a much modified and improved Metallo.

Comments?

czyznyck99

Apr 8, 2002
Somewhere Apocalyptic...
Originally posted by Batman Year One
It's obviously people at Catoon Network, but which people? I want names . :D
Does it really matter, the whole network must be half-dead to let bad programming like this just walk right into your living room. Are they taking the "the how-to-hack Spiderman" guide from ABC Family...? Geez. :mad:

Later.

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
Dec 20, 2001
South Dakota
****1/2

Overall I liked this episode, but then they all seem so good.

I was shocked when I first heard the voice of Metallo under that mask! :eek: We got lots of good action as he made his escape. The fight between Supes and Metallo in the middle was also really cool. His "enhancements" were quite interesting. I liked how Irons' niece ended up saving Superman.

It was rather moving how the neighbors refused to tell Corbin where Superman was. There are stull good people in the world.

Steel was just plain cool and so was his fight with Metallo. :cool: It was an interesting turn of events to have someone else save Superman.

Ya know, my comments made me realize there sure was a lot of fighting in this episode. Maybe it wasn't that good. :eek:

JTurner954

Paradigm City, USA
Jan 4, 2002
Florida
Visit site
Usually, I would give this episode 4.5 stars. But this time I'm giving it five stars for two extra reasons:

1. I like this version of Steel a lot more than the comic book version.

2. I'm going back and reading my comics in order and I finished reading AOS #500.

This is also my favorite Metallo episode. I just liked how you see Steel make the suit, test it out, and ironically use it on a villain who is also made from metal. Good stuff all around.

Great night for Rising Sun (if you want to know why, see my signature).

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
Dec 20, 2001
South Dakota
Originally posted by Batman Year One
What? Last week was "Apokolips Now" pt. 1, and now they're not showing part 2 yet? Who schedules this crap?!
It's that whole production order thing. Now they aren't even moving the two-parters together. "Apokolips Now! Part 2" production order #35, will air next week, October 19.

Patrick Bateman

Telling it like it is
Apr 19, 2002
Kansas
groups.msn.com
It's that whole production order thing. Now they aren't even moving the two-parters together. "Apokolips Now! Part 2" production order #35, will air next week, October 19.
That's dumb. They originally aired in story order, not production order. Oh well. At least it won't be a month-long wait like it was for pt. 2 of "Robin's Reckoning".

BeastBoyWonder

Teen Titans Go!
Nov 17, 2001
Ann Arbor, MI
I thought Steel and that last fight scene was INCREDIBLY cool...sure it wasn't the most intricate or involving plot ever, but it was very visually appealing.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Toonzone
www.worldsfinestonline.com
Metallo was great in his previous appearances, but he seems wasted here (just like in Superman's Pal). I did like the introduction of Steel, who we were already kinda introduced to a few weeks back in the 'crazed cop' episode.

I liked the intro to Irons, but I wish we got to see more of him. He basically dissapears from the series once this episode is over. I bet if we got the last, fourth, full season we were supposed to, we would've seen him at least once more.

Bleu Unicorn

\ (^v^) /
Mar 22, 2002
gentlewit.com
*** 1/2

[color=63B8FF]I'm not really a fan of the whole fight, fight, fight thing. And this episode was basically that. I'll also say that I know nothing about Steel, aside from the appearances on STAS.

That said, while I find this episode kind of weak (due to the fight, fight, fight thing), it isn't necessarily a bad episode, just not my type. Steel is pretty awesome. I have to say that -- and his fight with Metallo was very cool. I think Metallo's presence in this episode is just...I don't know. I find that he wasn't as well used in this episode as he was before.

Interesting change to have someone saving Superman. And I love the last line, "You're going to be hearing this a lot...so let me be the first to say thank you." :D[/color]

Last edited by a moderator:

Batman49

Naked Snake Returns
Jan 28, 2002
Bay Area, California
Visit site
You know this episode kinda reminded me of I've Got Batman in My Basement when I watched it again last night. I've seen the episode many times before but last night it got me thinking of that episode. Maybe it was the drowsyness I felt last night. It was better than I've Got Batman in My Basement though. I liked the origin of Steel and how it was set up in the episode Prototype. I give this ep 4 stars.

Brainiac

You've forced my hand.
Nov 24, 2001
Los Angeles
Visit site
After seeing the episode again, I have to admit I liked it a little more. Steel was cool, and Metallo is usually a good villain, except when they used him in, "Superman's Pal." That said, the episode also lacked a lot. It just seemed like fight after fight after fight. I liked how Metallo's powers were modified, and it was cool seeing him shoot kryptonite beams from his eyes, but this didn't make up for the real lack of plot. Why is Metallo going around robbing banks? Does he really need money? Also, how did Intergang manage to stumble upon a volcanic island...maybe they were sent specifically to save him, but I'm not sure. The only other thing that really bothered me was the continuity error made in Metallo's design. Last time we saw him, he had no fake skin--he was just a walking, talking Metallo robot. Suddenly, he's got a new set of skin, and not only that, it's torn in the exact same places when we had seen him in, "The Way of All Flesh." As much as I liked this design, I also thought the robot look was good, as well, and they at least should have explained why he had skin, all of the sudden...It was an okay episode, but not one of the greatest.

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
Dec 20, 2001
South Dakota
"Heavy Metal" airs tonight

"He's got Superman! He's going to kill him!"
"Not on my watch, he's not."

Tonight at 12:30 a.m. ET, Boomerang airs the Superman: The Animated Series episode, Heavy Metal. This episode is not yet available on DVD.

Episode #34 - Heavy Metal
Original Airdate - November 8th, 1997.

Superman teams up with Steel (John Henry Irons), to take on a much modified and improved Metallo.

Comments?

Style

The Green Style Returns
Dec 12, 2003
St. Charles
For all the fighting, they seemed reluctant to have Steel really open up on Metallo. I mean, he carries a big freakin' Sledge Hammer for a weapon. I was expecting him to use that thing and just Whale on Metallo, that would have been fun... But they didn't want to do that. That was my disappointment.

Although, it was fun looking for the ever-present writer cameos. Look for a Tough "Street" version of Paul Dini in this one.

Peter Paltridge

Out To Lunch
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
I thought this was better than most people think of it. Metallo's upgrades were so powerful, Superman didn't stand a chance. Superman. This is the closest he came to dying in the entire series. This is the episode that hammered home just how deadly and fearsome Metallo really was, and for that, I'll rate it high.

Caswin

Apr 12, 2004
I've learned to accept certain breaks with reality in fiction, such as Phantasm living to, well, become Phantasm after witnessing a mob murder, or half the fights Batman gets into and doesn't get shot. At something of an extreme is Sub-Zero, where polar bears are little stronger or faster than humans and abandoned oil rigs are still filled with oil.

And then there's Heavy Metal. With maybe half of these, I could ignore them, but a few things I'd like to point out:
-Bank vaults are, as a rule, open whenever the bank is.
-Cars flip over and exploding violently waaay too easily.
-There's no good reason I can think of for Metallo to go that far down the street, turn around, go back in the alley, and catch up in the space of a few seconds.
-In a welded-shut dumpster, I do not envy those crooks' chances of survival.
-The fire hydrant... uh... yeah.
-And does he really have lamps that can outmatch the sun for light output? Hm... well, he did used to be the top hardware guy for LexCorp. Never mind that one, then.

This is ignoring Steel's Wonder Woman-like ability to block bullets and lasers - or, worse, Henry's. True, it's just a cartoon, but this is really pushing it.

Ah, but enough of the bad parts. I may well be the only one who liked the "cast-iron stomach" joke. Steel as a whole, in fact, is, as Brainiac's review mentioned, a saving grace for this episode. The fights were good, as well. Metallo's response to Superman wrenching his arms behind him... classic. The final blow was great, too. Spoiler question: What the heck is his excuse for coming back from that in Superman's Pal?

3/5

Last edited by a moderator:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm one of those DBZ fans that never saw (Non-Canon) Broly's hatred towards Goku as "just because Goku cried a lot as a baby". I saw it more along the lines of (Non-Canon) Broly associating Goku's crying with the near death experiences he endured around that time.

This is pretty interesting.

I'd be up for something like this.
Check out Moka's Fabulous Adventures if you want another dose of Wander Over Yonder
I had a dream last night, and...

PICTURE MY BOOTY UP IN 3D. I'LL SHAKE MY BOOTY IN MY OWN MOVIE!