Superman "The Return of Superman" Classic Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Rate and Comment on This Storyline!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • *** 1/2

• ** 1/2

• * 1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Toonzone
www.worldsfinestonline.com
Discuss this stunning Superman storyline!

SUPERMAN: THE RETURN OF SUPERMAN

Written by: Various
Art by: Various

Taking place after Superman's tragic death, this book features the first appearance of four new heroes as well as Superman's return from the dead. Looking to fill the void after the Man of Steel's death, four new heroes appear, all bearing the trademark "S" insignia on their chest and claiming to be Superman. As a cyborg Superman, a teenage Superboy, an extremely violent Superman, and man in a suit of armor all appear on the scene, the world tries to figure out who is for real and who is a hoax. But in the end, it will take the return of the one and only Superman to stop one of these impostors from taking over the world.

Comments?

Note: Updated Artwork (8/2007).

Spider-Man

Jan 7, 2002
I saw this trade in the comic shop and I'm very interested in picking it up. However I do not know what issues are included. Does anyone else have this trade and can they provide a rundown of what comics are included in it?

Spider-Man

Jan 7, 2002
Even though I knew how the book was going to end I really enjoyed re-reading all of this. It was a solid story I found. I read bits and pieces of it when the issues originally came out but I'm glad to have the full story here (except for a few missing pieces here and thee since some of the comics included didn't include full issues which I thought was odd). It really does represent somewhat the best and worst of the 1990s comics. The finale was basically one big tussle between a host of characters but I found the conclusion to actually be satisfying. It went out with a bang instead of a whimper.

I thought they did a great job with introducing Cyborg and then watching as he slowly became the villain. I'm surprised to see how the seeds for this revelation were planted throughout the stories so the plot twist didn't come off as forced or uneblievable. It worked completely in the confines of the story. The way Superman "returned" is still a bit strange overall but it all works. I like that there's a mystery surrounding his return instead of a straight explanation. I have no idea if they ever fully explained it but I was satisfied with the mystery.

A big plus were some of the great characters we got from this story. While Cyborg didn't stay dead we got a couple of great characters who ended up having a great impact on the DC Universe. Superboy really became his own character over time and Steel played a big role in the 52 series. Perhaps it was knowing the big roles they would play that helped in me enjoying these characters. There were a few things I forgot like the "Matrix" Supergirl and the red-haired Lex Luthor but that didn't hinder my enjoyment of this storyline at all. It was a nice nostalgia trip that I'd recommend to everyone. You don't get Superman comics written or drawn like this anymore.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Toonzone
www.worldsfinestonline.com
With the arrival of Superman Doomsday (Feature Talkback, DVD Talkback), what better time to discuss the storyline that influenced the new Superman animated movie?

SUPERMAN: THE RETURN OF SUPERMAN

Written by: Various
Art by: Various

Taking place after Superman's tragic death, this book features the first appearance of four new heroes as well as Superman's return from the dead. Looking to fill the void after the Man of Steel's death, four new heroes appear, all bearing the trademark "S" insignia on their chest and claiming to be Superman. As a cyborg Superman, a teenage Superboy, an extremely violent Superman, and man in a suit of armor all appear on the scene, the world tries to figure out who is for real and who is a hoax. But in the end, it will take the return of the one and only Superman to stop one of these impostors from taking over the world.

Comments?