"Green Eggs & Ham" Talkback Thread (Spoilers)

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Watched one episode so far. It was a lot better than I was expecting. Bonus points for the full hand drawn animation, which is refreshing in today's character rig-heavy landscape.

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
That's great news. I finished the show last Tuesday and I'm thoroughly surprised by how good it is. Going into this, I had my reservations because, well, they're literally turning a 32-page picture book into a 13-episode animated series. Why would you do that? How would you go about that? Someone on this forum said that this looks to be another star-studded vanity project and that was my mindset going into this. But as it turns out, it's much, much more than that. It has great characters, witty humor, heartwarming moments, and of course outstanding animation. This show has no right to be this good. On paper, it probably shouldn't even work. But it did, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of it.

Last edited:

doglover44

Fell in love with it just by watching the trailer for this series and its just amazing from the animation to the hidden adult jokes they knocked this one out of the park ! ( BTW the fox is my favorite character )

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
I decided to try this series after hearing about it’s rave reviews and the announcement that WB is doing Wings Of Fire.

From what I’ve seen I don’t love it but it was a lot better than I expecting with surprisingly high production values. I especially like it’s animation which looks reminiscent of classic Disney films and maybe even WB ones like Iron Giant. I expect Wings of Fire to be just as good if not better.

wiley207

Well I finally finished the series, and I gotta say I'm really impressed! Even if they basically expanded the original 50-word book into a combination of "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" and "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them", it still had pretty good voice acting, very impressive animation and artwork (much of it done very well in Canada with some done in the Philippines), a great David Newman music score, genuinely humorous and clever writing (with humor akin to the classic Looney Tunes shorts, and actually making the main characters sympathetic to the viewers), a funny interactive narrator, plenty of suspense and action, and good choices of songs from the 60s and early 70s (though I don't really like the theme song, "Watch Me Backflip.") It appears for this show they got much of the same A-list crew that's working on the "Looney Tunes Cartoons" and "Animaniacs" revivals, and so that's getting my hopes up for those aforementioned two revivals.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter

In this Instagram post, John Pomeroy mentions that he's working on this series. Some of the projects he's worked on include:

An American Tail, The Secret Of NIMH, The Land Before Time, Dragon's Lair, The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh, The Tigger Movie, Treasure Planet, Curious George 2006, many of the Tom And Jerry DVD movies (such as the Dragon Egg movie and Spy Quest), Sofia The First, Elena Of Avalor, Fancy Nancy, and Klaus.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Green Eggs And Ham "Here"

That was pretty great. The Narrator stopping his rhyme and expressing shock at a ninja in a Dr. Seuss project captured the tone perfectly in the very first scene.

I like the voice of the blue bad guy very much. Jeffrey Wright, huh?

The animation is not quite feature film quality. But it comes closer to that than any other hand-drawn Seuss project ever, so it feels like it is. It's so far beyond everything else, any flaws is might contain compared to other big budget movies are not noticeable at all.

I laughed at Sam I Am's "No further questions," bit. What a great thing to put in the first episode ever.

Already sold. A show doesn't usually win me over in its first episode but this one totally did. ****1/2.

Green Eggs And Ham "Car"

I hope they make Sam asking Guy to eat Green Eggs and Ham in the specific things in the episode title a running gag. I love Sam telling Guy that was a specific thing to say.

If you asked me if Green Eggs and Ham was the type of book whose thin premise could be stretched to a movie, I would have scoffed at you. But darned if they didn't figure out a way to do it for a TV show. Good stuff. ****1/2.

Green Eggs And Ham "Train"

"Family is the greatest adventure" is the lamest saying ever. I really wish I hadn't heard it on the show.

Guy and Michellee's ship is coming along nicely. Didn't even realize I wanted it until this episode. Especially neat that Guy is especially mad at Sam for complicating it by forcing him to lie to her.

Is Snerz supposed to be a Trump parody? Not a rousing success so far.

Good reference to One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish.

The train's high-concept cars remind me of Infinity Train.

One thing I like about Guy is that he isn't the Grinch. Yet. But he's maybe one bad day from turning into him.

I didn't like this as much as I did the first two episodes. ***1/2.

Green Eggs And Ham "Fox"

Truth be told, I tend to hate celebrity stunt casting in animation. But I don't think they could have gotten a better voice for Guy than Michael Douglas. Honestly, he would have made a FAR better Grinch than Jim Carrey or Benedict Cumberbatch ever did. He's quite good.

Jeffrey Wright is also brilliant casting as McWinkle.

Tracy Morgan is also great as the Fox but that's less of a surprise. Unlike Wright and Douglas, Morgan's voice seems ready-made for animation.

Good episode. ****.

Green Eggs And Ham "Dark"

The Fox is mentally unbalanced. Which is fine because so is Tracy Morgan.

Honestly, the Fox's lair reminded me very much of a serial killer out of a Thomas Harris novel. As long as we're making comparisons to crazy people.

I am not very impressed with Michellee coming around. She's a bad mother because she doesn't understand things that should be self-evident. I get that parents have learning curves, but she should not still be this stupid at EB's age. That's not reasonable.

The tie trees in Jenkins' otherwise sad flashback made me laugh.

I really enjoy this show. ****.

Green Eggs And Ham "Box"

I have to say, I have never sympathized with Guy more than when he expressed disbelief that the switched hat disguises worked. I was like, "That's me." Like Guy, I always wind up surprised and disgusted that the world is always stupider than I believe it should be. Without fail. I totally saw myself in him in that moment.

In defense of Michellee for a brief second, not a single one of the dangerous carnival activities mentioned at the beginning struck me as remotely fun. Them having ACTUAL fun on the ride seemed incidental to everything else, and probably more due to Guy than anything else.

I liked the cliffhanger too. A swell episode all around. ****1/2.

Green Eggs And Ham "Mouse"

As of this episode I have very specific wants and expectations of the season finale. I'll discuss what they are in a few episodes and whether or not the series met them. I would be shocked if it did not. But we'll find out if my faith in the show is misplaced or not very shortly.

I love that Sam and Guy can't understand the Mouse. What a great running gag.

The Polite Cop had me in stitches. I love that he gives Sam a much-needed hug upon arresting him.

Guy misses jail. Good line.

So, what, people aren't allowed to AGE anymore? Another good line.

I loved the fact that the ending was a pretty blatant homage to The Shawshank Redemption. Using a much more kid-friendly oatmeal substitute.

Good stuff. We'll see soon enough if the finale is great. ****1/2.

Green Eggs And Ham "Rain"

I like Guy telling Sam he's not great with kids, and Sam correctly telling him he's not actually great with anyone.

As far as those birds go, Guy may not be great at building himself up. But he's good at tearing them down.

I laughed at Sam pouring a pot of hot coffee into his eyes to try and stay awake for one of Michellee's boring bean stories.

The Goat cliffhanger was awesome.

Will the finale go as I suspect? I'm still thinking so. ****.

Green Eggs And Ham "Goat"

Great cliffhanger. The Green Eggs and Ham are no longer Sam's trademark: They are his giveaway. The boys are in trouble.

I more clearly saw the Trump parallels with Snerz in this episode. And the main takeaway from me is that Trump is still a hundred times worse. Trump is a loser thing to parody because whatever spoof you do cannot ever be as bad or ridiculous as the genuine article. This is especially true for a version on a kids show.

I love all of the licensed music the show bothers to pay actual money for.

I suppose I can detail my expectations for the finale about a minute before I watch it.

Here is what I want and expect:

1. A truly happy and satisfying ending. I want callbacks to all of the major characters including the Fox and the Mouse, and for their endings to be super happy and to tie into Sam and Guy's eventual triumph. The end of a basic modern animated film essentially.

2. A song recapping the Green Eggs and Ham verse and season. It can be a rap or a traditional musical number. Doesn't matter. Needs to happen.

3. No cliffhanger setting up a second season. I want the first season to be entirely self-contained.

Those are my expectations. The jaunty theme tune and the fact that the show is produced by Ellen Degeneres suggests at least some of that will be met. I want all of it. And I suspect it will be. Am I right? We'll see.

Right now. ****1/2.

Green Eggs And Ham "House"

That met absolutely none of my wants and expectations so I had to ask myself: Is that okay?

As far as surprise betrayals go, probably not. But what I can accept is the idea that maybe the show is bigger than it was in my head. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I think the Sam working for Snerz twist is gonna be a dud in season two. But just because I had the size of the show in my head a certain way, that doesn't mean it was the right size.

But I do predict the show will not be as good next year with the extra Sam drama. Shows that pull that move never are. In the show's favor is that Sam is clearly not a bad guy himself. If he's on the wrong side, he can still choose to do the right thing. It's not too late for that at all. It might not even count as a betrayal when all is said and done. We'll see.

I'll tell you what I like. I like that Guy had a happy and normal childhood, and as far as dysfunctional family members go, HE is the one with the actual problem. That was unexpected and also made perfect sense.

I also found Sam's sad backstory moving, including the real reason he loves Green Eggs and Ham. I just wish the revelation were attached to a better episode and ending.

I was not satisfied with that at all. I expected more. But apparently the show had bigger ideas than I did. We'll see if they pay off next year. But Netflix has gotten really cancelation happy recently. I wouldn't suggest another cliffhanger next year. ***1/2.

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
So that's, what, a two year wait? Not terrible considering the first season took around four years I believe.

Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to season 2 since I was overwhelmingly impressed with season 1. Hopefully the writers and animators can outdo themselves the second time around!

powerjake

Banned
So that's, what, a two year wait? Not terrible considering the first season took around four years I believe.

Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to season 2 since I was overwhelmingly impressed with season 1. Hopefully the writers and animators can outdo themselves the second time around!

Green Eggs and Ham would have a better place at home with HBO Max sinse Warner Bros made the show.

Netflix loves to cancel shows too quickly.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
It could be a contract issue. HBO Max would be the best place for it, but since Netflix picked up the series, any future episodes would have to go on there even after the launch of HBO Max. I think there's a similar issue with the Animaniacs revival, where HBO Max would be the place for it to go, but since it was greenlit by Hulu back in late 2017/early 2018, before the Warner Media deal was finalized, it would have to go to Hulu even after HBO Max came out. Though there's irony in how the show (the Animaniacs revival) in Latin America is on HBO Max, though that might be due to the limited reach of Hulu.

Last edited:

powerjake

Banned
It could be a contract issue. HBO Max would be the best place for it, but since Netflix picked up the series, any future episodes would have to go on there even after the launch of HBO Max. I think there's a similar issue with the Animaniacs revival, where HBO Max would be the place for it to go, but since it was greenlit by Hulu back in late 2017/early 2018, before the Warner Media deal was finalized, it would have to go to Hulu even after HBO Max came out. Though there's irony in how the show (the Animaniacs) in Latin America is on HBO Max, though that might be due to the limited reach of Hulu.

I think Green Eggs and Ham really deserves to be added to HBO Max. It cannot stay on Netflix forever and that contract needs to expire.

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
So it's November 5th and season 2 of Green Eggs and Ham hasn't appeared on Netflix yet. I was afraid of that since Netflix itself never confirmed that November 5th air date.

However, the show's page does list something about another season coming soon, which I don't think was there before. The show is also trending on Netflix's home page right now, so I'm hopeful that something is on the horizon!

Screenshot_20211105-171521_Netflix.jpg
Screenshot_20211105-094530_Netflix~2.jpg

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts