"Marvel Cinematic Universe" News & Discussion, Part 9 (Spoilers)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
But on the other hand, that could leak to less risk-taking and landing unexpected hits.
True, but it doesn't seem like they're in much of a position to take risks, though I'd rather they take meaningful risks than keep to formula because that's how they got in this situation.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Possibly Cap Britain. Why not?
Yup, that's been a rumor for awhile. A year ago it was too on the nose but post-Secret Invasion, we know Sonya Falsworth is gonna make a powered team within MI6. Captain Britain being in the mix is a given.

Frontier

Staff member
Yup, that's been a rumor for awhile. A year ago it was too on the nose but post-Secret Invasion, we know Sonya Falsworth is gonna make a powered team within MI6. Captain Britain being in the mix is a given.
Imagine Gi'ah goes off with her people to a new planet and she needs a new heavy-hitter...in comes Brian Braddock :cool:.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
She's a Secret Invasion character, she wants whatever the writers want her to want at that moment in time :p.
Point taken. Hear me out. She lived on Earth most her life, was in a resistance cell who planned to take over Earth, realized what her dad wanted peaceful coexistence on Earth, sided with Fury to honor his death, and lastly joined forces with Sonya Falsworth and lead the Skrulls on Earth. I think she's staying on Earth. It's kind of the Coneheads movie, the daughter sees Earth as her home. Avengers had more than one heavy hitter. It'll ok if this team has a couple. But they need a vendor that's does way, way better VFX work when she uses her powers on-screen.

Frontier

Staff member
Point taken. Hear me out. She lived on Earth most her life, was in a resistance cell who planned to take over Earth, realized what her dad wanted peaceful coexistence on Earth, sided with Fury to honor his death, and lastly joined forces with Sonya Falsworth and lead the Skrulls on Earth. I think she's staying on Earth. It's kind of the Coneheads movie, the daughter sees Earth as her home. Avengers had more than one heavy hitter. It'll ok if this team has a couple. But they need a vendor that's does way, way better VFX work when she uses her powers on-screen.
From a characterization standpoint I agree, but just given the reception to Secret Invasion, Gi'ah, and her whole Super Skrull deal...I feel like they're likely to try to write her out or scale her back a lot.

And they wouldn't want her to steal the spotlight away from a more name Marvel character (I would think).

Medinnus

Staff member
From a characterization standpoint I agree, but just given the reception to Secret Invasion, Gi'ah, and her whole Super Skrull deal...I feel like they're likely to try to write her out or scale her back a lot.

And they wouldn't want her to steal the spotlight away from a more name Marvel character (I would think).

Ahh, but you are forgetting the maxim and golden rule of Hollywood; merely doing a good job with someone else's character does not further careers. Hollywood characters are costumes put on a carboard cutout for branding purposes; former comic writers do everything they can to get things they touched included for the residuals, even if they have to bend it out of all relation for the director's whims. This is why so much of the current MCU bears so little resemblance to the source characterizations. Sometimes good, often not... turning Kamala Khan from a shapeshifter mutant into a gender-bent Quasar is a good example of such change (not judging whether or not its a good thing). She had the ethnicity and the Ms. Marvel brand, so *poof* presto-chango!

Frontier

Staff member
Ahh, but you are forgetting the maxim and golden rule of Hollywood; merely doing a good job with someone else's character does not further careers. Hollywood characters are costumes put on a carboard cutout for branding purposes; former comic writers do everything they can to get things they touched included for the residuals, even if they have to bend it out of all relation for the director's whims. This is why so much of the current MCU bears so little resemblance to the source characterizations. Sometimes good, often not... turning Kamala Khan from a shapeshifter mutant into a gender-bent Quasar is a good example of such change (not judging whether or not its a good thing). She had the ethnicity and the Ms. Marvel brand, so *poof* presto-chango!
At the end of the day it felt more like an Emilia Clarke vehicle thrown in with all the other stuff they have going on.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I heard Max is giving Scavengers Reign to Netflix. Maybe they'll do more with it over there than Max did.
My reaction that TeenNick is airing more cartoons than live-action.

Quoted for the truth!
PLuto LEGO now is airing LEGO Friends: Next Chapter. Disney channel former recently aired this before.
It bugs me how when you say Looney Tunes, most people jump to the 50's Chuck Jones shorts as the default. I'm not trying to throw shade at Jones; he was great and the 50s LTs were great, but the 40's shorts shouldn't be overlooked; they're that much better IMO.

Featured Posts