"X-Men '97" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss Season One of X-Men'97!

• Total voters

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
"Fire Made Flesh" You know it occurs to me that the first episode "To Me My X-Men" even if you weren't really aware of the original series at all you could go into it enough and still get the right amount of information and point to still enjoy it. Yeah the whole "Professor Xaiver is dead and we're still processing it" is a fairly big theme but the idea of having to deal with these anti mutant groups and the X-Men suiting up to take someone out is explained well enough. "Mutation Liberation Begins" though really demands you be aware of a fair amount of the history between Magneto and Charles and the world to get the most out of, and then this episode you have to deal with two Jean Greys and finding out the one we've been following is in fact a clone that was created by Mr. Sinister but has all of these memories and connections to the other Jean and becomes a battle between the two that... yeah I'm not sure how people are going to enjoy this going into this one blind. Like you need a good base line of Jean Grey and her struggles to really connect with this one which though a big point of the last two episodes was on her pregnancy and Nathan being born still wasn't a focus enough to really work... if you know this was a standalone story we were just jumping into.

See this is something THIS series and the original got about doing these kinds of stories the movies never did; we need an actually solid base line for who Jean Grey is and what matters to her for any of this drama to hit. The first two X-Men movies didn't really do enough of that for even if Bryan Singer did The Last Stand for the Phoenix story to matter. I do feel Dark Phoenix due to having a better focus got that more but yeah this one is far more solid because this is a revival that uses what came before as a benchmark for what the characters are going for. I guess the only one you could argue that's not the case is Roberto as his stuff with his parents has only been mentioned really once but that's not really a major plot point as more focus is given to Gambit freaking out if Rogue and Magneto are a thing or Morph being used and abused and yeah who Scott can really trust of the two Jeans. See though very creatively staged and grotesque in a way the original series couldn't get away with (again I do appreciate that these episodes have a slight bit of edge to them where you can see blood and here a "hell" but they aren't dwelling on it either) the whole night mare sequences wouldn't really work if you didn't know about the characters and their struggles and since this is a show banking off another show you have that baseline for it to connect. I also really dig that they did have the stones to go "the Jean Grey we've had since this series started and for who knows how long is Madeline Pryor the clone and the one who just came in is the original" while still not making it clear when the switch is. As that makes the situation fairly messy especially when both have all of these memories and they aren't really sure who is who. It's not overly obnoxiously uncomplicated either like I feel it was in the comics and honestly having Madeline being taken over by Sinister to make her The Goblin Queen still allows both to be sympathetic and not just say "oh Jean broke bad just out of trauma". I guess you could argue it does make the whole ending pretty melodramatic with Scott not being able to be around as Nathan is sent into the future and Madeline leaving just with Jean setting her out as she tries to lead her own life but it's done seriously without needing to pepper in any jokes (like after the Dante's inferno references I do appreciate they don't bother with comedy at all in the later half and just let the drama sit that was the right call. I guess Goblin Queen teasing Scott about who he should be with or saying Magneto was "a villain playing dress up" but it was the dark twisted kind that didn't kill the mood) and feels right to not really have anything and take this whole thing seriously.

And though the last couple of episodes had some pretty impressive action scenes I think in a way this one topped even that. From that moment of Cyclops shooting at Forge and him channeling all that power to how Goblin Queen took control of Morph to fight the others to Magneto using all of that glass around the church windows and then having it be spun on him to yeah that whole psychic battle between Jean and Goblin Queen. I feel the original series was good at these sort of out there mental battles (I did see the one between Carol Danvers and Rogue in her mind scape involving Gene) but this one gets to flex even more on just how horrid it could be. Like Jean seeing how her friend died in her memory really did hit same with seeing all of those images flashing by with the two unsure who was exactly in control. I guess if I did have any issues with this one after all that build up Mr. Sinister so easily slinking away did feel a bit lame but yeah that's really it. I really do like the rest and honestly I am glad we are focusing on other character issues then just the whole mutant predjuice angle. That was well done last time but I was wanting something else so focusing on this whole debacle with the clones was good and I also like how it tied into other ideas like Rogue and Magneto having something going on, plus Logan connecting with Jean and telling his feelings which yeah if Pryor is the mom who had Nathan and was more connected to Scott this would be a way to actually go back to more that love triangle the three have had in the books, and yeah ending with Storm meeting Forge and him talking about helping her get back her powers. I am hoping that yeah Storm gets her powers back but it's like an arc that extends more then one episode like this was well done for an episode but I could see that being in the background for a few as we focused on other things. Still solid episode all around and hope the show continues getting the super solid ratings last week gave them.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Some random "Fire Made Flesh" thoughts...

This was a pretty weird episode overall but still entertaining. Sinister keeps living up to his name. The visuals of the demonic Sentinel and flashback of Nathan's birth were sort of surprising.

Goblin Queen's design was fine, the old show didn't exactly have a problem with something similar for Jean during the Hellfire Club scenes (or Emma Frost on a regular basis).

The drama worked for the most part and there were some emotional scenes in there, like saying goodbye to baby Cable.

It's cool they addressed Bishop wanting to go back to the future. And, a cameo from Magik. Another character I hope we'll see in person later on as opposed to only a Morph transformation.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I loved seeing the Illyanna cameo, and wearing her New Mutants uni, no less. I wonder if this is just a random cameo that had nothing to do with continuity (like the old days) or does Morph know something the audience doesn't.

I was really enjoying Maddie as a baddie. Where does she go from here? Alaska?

It was sad to see Scott still feeling abandoned by Corsair. I thought it was something that started and stopped in Orphan's End but of course, it would actually go deeper than that. It would be nice if he got to find out about, and connect with, Alex. At least, before Maddie does...

It gets really uncomfortable to see a baby in peril and it surprised that they went for it. Poor little Nate, and Poor Scott and Maddie. Sinister is such a piece of garbage. I think he loves the drama as much as he loves playing God. With previous access to Scott and Jean's DNA, you would think he'd be able to "grow" their offspring himself.

I love Wolverine but his pining after Jean will always drive me up the wall.

I can't unsee that either, Remy. I really have some doubts about Magneto and Rogue having any real romance going on, despite what we see but anything feels possible with this show.

Bishop taking Nate to the future feels more organic than having the Askani come out of nowhere. I wonder if there's still a version of Rachel around. The original series never explicitly said that the couple running around with Wolverine during Days of Future Past was Franklin Richards and Rachel Summers. They never explicitly showed if they died either.

I really loved all the messed up crazy visuals and action sequences during this episode.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
It's nice they included Illyanna/Magik/Darkchylde, even if for only a couple of brief scenes as a nod to the "Inferno" story. Since she has a speaking role here and a voice actress listed (Courtenay Taylor) I presume they might bring her back later on, but we'll see. I am also a bit surprised they didn't bring back Tara Strong to voice her.

Yeah, I thought Scott kind of reconciled with Corsair on the old show but considering he doesn't know when/if he'll see his son again, he probably doesn't want Nathan to go through what he did.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I was really into the Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix/Askani's Son books as a kid, and I always liked that Scott and Jean were able to go to the future and raise Nathan. I wouldn't expect it here but the original series already adapted the storyline of Sinister's origin from the books.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I guess they'll probably get around to adapting the Claremont stories we didn't get around to earlier. This episode was basically the animated version of Inferno. Don't know how much of post Claremont we'll get.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
Incidentally, I get the feeling that Storm loosing her powers is meant to be akin to say Beast being in jail for most of X-Men TAS' first season, Professor X stuck in the Savage Land in 2 and the 3rd having Jean out of action in the middle.

Especially with how much the team grew in size before starting (Morph, Bishop and Magneto included).

Frontier

Staff member
Well, that was certainly a condensed adaption of Inferno. Even had Maddie go "show them...my Inferno!" o_O.

Are they going to update the intro every episode :cool:?

I will give them credit for making you feel for "Jean" at the beginning when everyone starts turning on her after the reveal. Like literally no one sticks up for her and even Scott doesn't say a word in her defense. And he was there when this woman gave birth to his child and been with her for...who knows how long at this point :(.

Oh look, it's Roberto! Who was just suddenly there even though he wasn't in the last episode! So, what, he's just frequenting the mansion now :confused:?

"Call me he Goblin Queen! And Madelyne Pryor! That's what they call me in the comics anyways" :rolleyes2:.

Christopher Britton still sounds as creepy and sadistic as Mr. Sinister and he hasn't lost any of his menace from the original show :eek:.

We can't get Goblin Queen transforming all of New York into the demon plane so we'll just do it to the mansion! Complete with a Hayao Miyazaki reference ;).

Oh hey, Shard cameo! Oh, and Spiral :).

The animators had WAY too much fun animating the Goblin Queen. As much as Jennifer Hale had playing her. I guess it's true what they say that playing villains is more fun (and sexy). I can only imagine how many sexual awakenings would've happened had they done this on the original show :p.

Magneto and Rogue sure do have a lot of Danger Room sessions together...though honestly I feel like they're setting up there's nothing really romantic going on between them, especially the way Rogue reacted to Gambit being hurt. Plus the kiss in the intro :proud:.

There were many ways I saw that scene of Morph seeing Wolverine in the shower going and not all of them involved a demon...

I like how they acknowledged Morph's history of Sinister, even having them morph into their evil Morph face :D!

I loved Bishop throwing Wolverine at Beast to catch him :anime:.

I KNEW they were going to differentiate the two Jean's with their hairstyle, real Jean having it in a ponytail, Maddie having her hair down. I'll leave it up to the viewer to decide which is the better Jean hair :proud:.

On the one hand I kind of get how Logan would be the one to calm Jean down and get her back to being mentally stable, it's happened to him enough times, but I'm not fond of the prospect that Logan might take advantage of Jean's current mental instability and the friction between her and Scott to make a move :ack:.

The Magik cameo, complete with Darkchylde, felt so random. Like the last time we saw Illyana on the show she was a little girl and suddenly Morph is transforming into her comic-accurate teen body and Limbo form? Was there some off-screen Limbo arc with Belasco we don't know about? Which maybe also featured her older brother in his classic costume he never wore in the show compared to his appearance here? Also, Courtney Taylor did a solid job, but did they actually contact Tara Strong (her original VA?). She's been reprising Illyana pretty consistently in games for the last few years :oops:.

Here's battle-damaged Magneto in case you thought this adaption of Inferno was missing half-dressed men :anime:.

I like how we had Magneto vs Goblin Queen for pure Superhero spectacle as well as Jean vs Maddie for the second half of what makes this franchise great, people trying to understand each other and the self-realization to be your best self :elle:.

Comic-accurate Jean Grey origin story! Complete with her dead best friend and the actual Charles Xavier :D!

Well, there's how Baby Nate got the Techno-Organic Virus and got shipped to the future to become he man known as Cable! Ironic that Bishop took him back knowing the two clashed in the original show :robin:

I feel like the most powerful emotional moments involved Maddie and Morph, but the best was probably Scott's indignation at the idea of abandoning his son like he was...like so many have :crying:.

As far as endings for Maddie go, this was probably one of the better ones, seeing her son off as best she could, off to live her own life, on her own terms. Though I wonder if she's still in love with Scott :(?

Look at the state of Scott and Jean's bedroom and how it's an on-point representation of their current relationship status! I wouldn't even be surprised if Jean wants her own room. Poor Scott :sad:.

The X-Men keep bleeding members (also coincidentally both of them being black), though Bishop wasn't really adding much to the team so far :shrug:.

Now Storm's gone full punk complete with her comic-accurate black leather ensemble, and in true Lifedeath fashion she's met up with present-day Forge! Who thinks he can help her get her powers back! Maybe also because he helped create the gun that stole it from her :eek:!

Marvelman02

Regarding episode 2....

Overall, DeMayo hit it out of the park again.

My only objection was the overly speedy and convenient way Madelyne was disposed of at the end. I felt there was more to be said between Scott and Madelyne. She may not be the OG but she is Jean in any way that could matter so for her to just walk away from Scott and her closest friends is incredulous. I would have liked it if Madelyne had stuck around for at least one more episode, but I'm sure we'll see her again. I'm a little confused about Roberto's presence. My understanding is he decided to leave at the end of episode one. Have I misunderstood?

Some more questions about Madelyne... was inferno just Madelyne messing with the X-Men's minds? Or, did she actually alter reality? How would Madelyne have acquired such a power? She's not Proteus. I'm also unconvinced Madelyne would name herself the Goblin Queen. That name seemed to come out of nowhere. Yes, I have read the Inferno crossover but the connection between Madelyne and the name is unclear in this continuity - unless Sinister chose the name. That might make more sense. Morph did not meet Magik in the 90s series. Did he meet her in the time between Xavier's death and episode one? Finally, I'm curious... do Russians really call everyone "comrade"?

But none of these criticisms or questions detract from what was another excellent episode.

Last edited:

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Excellent three episodes so far, for me. While I am still in amazement we've even got this show, the fact they've kept it so much like the original but updated it for modern times/audiences still floors me.

It legitimately feels like they've made this show with ME in mind at times. I'm hoping we can avoid any further spoilers and enjoy the remaining episodes as much as I enjoyed these 3. Bravo to all involved!

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
Got mixed feelings about episode 3. I feel like the writers felt that the stories about Madelyne and Cable were way too important to skip, but they didn't want to get into another 5-part series about all the crazy stuff going on with Jean since we already had the Phoenix and Dark Phoenix Sagas in the original show.

I've called out a lot of the DC DTVs for cramming in too much story into a short amount of air time, and it feels just as awkward to watch here, but Jean and Logan get so much exposure in other media that I'm open to the idea of giving each character more time.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
X-Men '97 "Fire Made Flesh"

Honestly, a little too dark for my tastes. It was a bit much.

I'm glad Storm is going to get her powers back but I don't like that she isn't currently in the main title.

The animation in Magneto's fight was really good.

I don't care if it was in the comics, the Goblin Queen thing is stupid because it comes out of nowhere in the episode and series itself.

I kind of resent the idea that Nate has to be taken away the very episode AFTER he's born. There's something about that that strikes me as unnecessarily cruel, especially because Scott and Jean raise him in the future themselves in the comics.

Sigh. Not as good as the first two episodes. ***.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I really wasn't expecting anything to happen to Nathan so soon. I remembered the old X-Factor comics with the original five being a team while taking care of Baby Nate, before he was infected. These characters really do get put through a lot. I've kept thinking of similarities between Scott and Peter Parker being unknowingly married to clones of their loves. I never really noticed it before this episode.

Frontier

Staff member
I feel like the show is the double-edged sword that is a 10-episode count.

On the one hand, the smaller and more concise episode count means Studio MIR can deliver some amazing visuals (compared to a 26-episode Young Justice season).

On the other hand, it means they can't waste any time and might have to barrel through storylines and character development.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I wrote another article for the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com.

x9703f02.jpg

X-Men '97: "Fire Made Flesh" Episode Recap

Previously, on X-Men! Magneto takes command of the X-Men. Cyclops’ son is born. Storm loses her powers. A second Jean Grey appears.

Picking up where the previous episode left off, “Fire Made Flesh” begins with Jean trying to read the mind of the now unconscious second Jean and determines she’s a clone; the two look the same, share memories, basic clone stuff. Beast on the other hand, explains that the newly arrived Jean is in fact the original, while the other one is the clone. It gets confusing and even a bit tragic, seeing how this revelation would affect Jean (both of them!), especially since the others (including Cyclops) don’t know what to believe or who to trust.

Click here to continue reading.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
x97talk.png

X-Men '97 - "Motendo / Lifedeath, Part 1"
Debut: April 3, 2024 on Disney+

"On her birthday, a nostalgic Jubilee is forced to relive the X-Men's greatest adventures when an entertainment system transports her into a 16-bit video game."

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
- I guess Motendo sounded better than MogaDrive or Mojasis because that looked like a very familiar console with that Sega X-Men cartridge stuck in it.
- The phone booth transport felt very Matrix '99.
- A new 16 bit mobile game wouldn't hurt.
- It's nice to see the sitcom/tv references again
- I'm surprised Longshot didn't swoop in.
- Old Jubilee skating while fighting reminded me of Dazzler
who showed up in the prequel comic
- When I was a kid digging through the long boxes, I remember always seeing the LifeDeath issues but not thinking of reading or buying them. The art hinted at a story more mature than I was thinking of reading then.
- The Gambit/Rogue/Magneto situation is feeling a bit silly.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
X-Men '97 "Motendo / Lifedeath, Part 1"

Motendo:

Mojovision was one of the best episodes of the original series. But it occurred after the show had already been firmly established. Certainly not in Season 1. The relaunch doing this in Episode 4 is kind of cool and brave. And I feel like the story is fun in a way not enough of the relaunch has been. I miss Jubilee and that the old show was essentially from her perspective. I liked getting back to that.

Good way to bring back Alyson Court too. Well played.

Cool episode. ****1/2.

Lifedeath, Part 1:

I did not care for this. Not just because the reality was not quantifiable (which is not a good choice for a cliffhanger ending) but I also felt Storm's reactions to Forge having worked for the government were, um... THEATRICAL, if you get me. And I get that this show is set in 1997. But it's not being MADE in 1997, you know. Just because it's a superhero cartoon doesn't mean there needs to be this level of irrationality to character like Storm. Considering what's at stake, Hearing Him Out is not an unreasonable expectation for Forge to have from her.

Storm's hamminess simply does not translate well in 2024. And yet if she didn't have it, she wouldn't be the same Storm from the old show. I guess I wish the show were able to navigate her big personality and somehow make it relatable to modern audiences. I understand that might be hard. But I don't think it's impossible. And I'm disappointed the series was unable to navigate it for this episode. Maybe if it were worse, I wouldn't be. But Jubilee's dialogue has been punched up for modern audiences. No reason that couldn't have happened for Storm.

Although him being "in love" with her seems a bit... what's the word? Oh yes. INSANE. Just while we're keeping track of cartoon cliches.

Not great,. **.

Episode Overall: ***1/2.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Why is it automatically assumed that if a person were to suddenly gain super powers they'll put on tights and either immediately decide to save the world or conquer/destroy it?
the sports junkie in me really loves playing Sports Reference's Immaculate Grid games. nice way to start off each morning.
Whenever I watch the RiffTrax version of The Apple, I get that "Hey, Hey, Hey, BIM's on the way!" song stuck in my head.

Plus, Alfie and Bibi's love song sounds kind of like the He-man/She-Ra song "I Have the Power".
Currently being forced to watch the Twilight Saga. Three more 2+ hour films to go.

Help. Me.
If Dick Dastardly ever returns in a SCOOB! sequel, I am sure he will be voiced by Mike Pollock. What do you think?

Featured Posts