WarnerMedia takes ownership of Cartoon Network among others!

MagicMagilla

It's been a long time coming, but AT&T just handed Cartoon Network over to the corporate sibling it's been butting heads with for the last 18 years.

This is either the brightest day of darkest day depending on if you took one side over the other. Wine and whine are both incoming today.

EDIT: While I know the thread starter just used the phrasing from the link it is wrong. Warner Bros is taking ownership of CN among others. Warner Media is the name of the whole company put together. It already had ownership of everything WB, HBO and Turner.

Last edited:

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Straight from Variety: WarnerMedia calls dibs on Cartoon Network, Boomerang, [adult swim], TCM, TNT and HBO from Turner Broadcasting!

This means, among other things, Cartoon Network Studios will be absorbed into Warner Bros. Animation.

Good? Bad? Too early to tell, but who’s stopping us from speculating?

From that article:

"Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Boomerang and Turner Classic Movies — four linear cablers that had been part of Turner — will be absorbed by Warner Bros., along with all animation production operations and consumer products. Warner Bros. will create a Global Kids and Young Adults unit to bring new focus to development content and related properties for kids and family audiences. Warner Bros. will also be the new home of Otter Media, the digital content investment venture that AT&T started with Peter Chernin prior to its acquisition of Time Warner. "

Well...I have no idea what this means. Probably nothing in the next 12 months.

MagicMagilla

According to this article it seems pretty set Christina Miller is out of her position going forward as they are looking to move her into a new position somewhere else in the new hierarchy. Even if some people don't like how she's ran the channel she has helped launch shows that people like. So I think her days of calling serious shots are dead, but her ability to be employed and contribute ideas aren't.

Which I mean good for her, not getting the axe entirely. WB could have been harsher.

Mandouga

Okay, so this is happening to the network, but where does it say anything about Cartoon Network Studios (the division that actually makes shows) becoming part of Warner Bros. Animation?

DonTrashRoom

Have a nice trip, see you next fall
Okay, so this is happening to the network, but where does it say anything about Cartoon Network Studios (the division that actually makes shows) becoming part of Warner Bros. Animation?
Nowhere as far as I'm concerned.

MagicMagilla

That we don't know yet. Right now Warner Bros technically owns four independent Animation studios. We're expecting news about how this will be either be made four subgroups or if they will merge them together.

The link I posted made mention the head of WB is going to give a "state of the studio" later this month. I'd wager that news will be said then.

DonTrashRoom

Have a nice trip, see you next fall
That we don't know yet. Right now Warner Bros technically owns four independent Animation studios. We're expecting news about how this will be either be made four subgroups or if they will merge them together.

The link I posted made mention the head of WB is going to give a "state of the studio" later this month. I'd wager that news will be said then.
I think WBA and CNS will continue to operate as seperate entities.

RegularCapital

Staff member
At least Cartoon Network is now reunited with Hanna-Barbera. About time Turner has been fully absorbed into Warner Bros.*, it's taken 23 years and Ted Turner left 13 years ago.

* The other half of Turner is now in different WarnerMedia divisions, but they're no longer semi-autonomous.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
I wonder if this means CNS will produce original content for Boomerang

MagicMagilla

It's really ironic this is all going down in March. It was also in March of 2001 that Bill Hanna died and they gave up the idea of merging the animation studios. That was the move that gave birth to the independent Cartoon Network Studios and Warner Bros Animation having control of the LT/HB/MGM properties completely.

18 years later, we could be in for the complete reversal or at the very least the healing of the fissures that started then. Tomorrow morning it is going to be one week since AT&T won the appeal and what a week it has been.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Minor gripe with the otherwise fine Yurikuma Arashi dub: "But also, we loved from the beginning as well." Using "also" and "as well" in the same sentence is redundant.
1 decade, 1 month and 1 fortnight ago, Shrek got a series of shorts titled New Shrek on DreamWorksTV.

Like the rest of Shrek, it has its fair share of memes, like a One Direction parody called Wrong Direction, an episode where he literally just burps Happy Birthday, a Freestyle Rap, and (from the very first second no less) of course:
Happy Father's Day!

Featured Posts