Cartoon Network endangered by HBO Max?

powerjake

Sinse HBO Max came along, is this streaming service going to make the channel Cartoon Network suffer in the future. They can have a larger variety of cartoons in the library for anyone to watch such as Hanna-Barbera, classic Looney Tunes, Cartoon Network Originals (if they get all of them?), DC comics animated shows, other Warner Bros. Animation cartoons, including Adult Swim cartoons.

Does this mean the spin-off channel Boomerang would also suffer from the same fate?.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'm not sure if it would be due to HBO Max specifically or just due to streaming becoming more mainstream since that is affecting cable in general. Cartoon Network still premieres shows, so I don't think it's going to be phased out completely, at least not anytime soon. It's hard to tell just how successful HBO Max is going to be among all of the other streaming platforms out there.

I could easily see Boomerang being phased out though. The channel has been on autopilot for ages and having a secondary channel just for reruns nowadays just isn't a good business model. It would probably help them out more to put their time and investment into HBO Max instead of Boomerang.

powerjake

I'm not sure if it would be due to HBO Max specifically or just due to streaming becoming more mainstream since that is affecting cable in general. Cartoon Network still premieres shows, so I don't think it's going to be phased out completely, at least not anytime soon. It's hard to tell just how successful HBO Max is going to be among all of the other streaming platforms out there.

I could easily see Boomerang being phased out though. The channel has been on autopilot for ages and having a secondary channel just for reruns nowadays just isn't a good business model. It would probably help them out more to put their time and investment into HBO Max instead of Boomerang.

Cartoon Network for now will stay around as a channel, who knows its up to Warner Bros to decide its fate.

I've never liked Boomerang in the later years like the 2010's, as they got very repetitive with annoying commercials and their very limited rotation of cartoons.

HBO Max is better in everyway as you can pick and choose what cartoons you want.

Dr.Pepper

I wish they would just add the Boomerang app to HBO Max.

How to Make Money as a Kid 2

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Craig McCracken recently started an instagram account.

Given this tweet he put out, it looks like Christian Lanz is in Kid Cosmic.

I would like to hear the voice of Eric Bauza in the dub of "Yashahime". How about that?
You know you feel old when one of the first non-CN shows you remember was the German series Twipsy. This doesn't strike a chord with Americans, though. I remember being 4 and being enthralled by the computer graphics of the cyberspace setting.
First look at "Thomas and Friends" 2D reboot:

Looks cute, but judging from long-time fans, they didn't like it.

I don't mind Thomas being in 2D, really.

Featured Posts