The Wonderful World of Japanese Music(J-Pop, etc.)

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
So, four years ago, I created an all-encompassing topic for K-pop and that seems to have gone very well. So, because of that success, I wanted to create a topic for Japanese music in general. For many people, the first encounter with Japanese music is via anime, specifically through the opening and ending themes. However, Japanese music is more than just the anime opening and endings, there's a rich history there. In this topic, you can post not only from J-pop, but J-R&B, J-Rock, City Pop, etc.

To kick things off, I'm going to post the new song from the 9-member Japanese girl group, NiziU. They made their debut in 2020 and they're part of JYP Entertainment(TWICE, Stray Kids, ITZY, NMIXX, etc). The song is called "Sweet Nonfiction" and it came out today. It's a digital single and it's the theme song for the upcoming Japanese movie, Lovesick Ellie, which the NiziU members make a cameo appearance. It's a cute song, I like it.

Shiloh Otter

celebrating Doremi!
I do listen to a bit of J-rock, though my favorite Japanese band is J-metal band DIR EN GREY, who I listen to considerably more than any other Japanese act.

I'm fairly certain that I can't post any of their videos here, though, as they would require multiple content warnings. They are very much the definition of an acquired taste. You can search them out on your own if you're inclined to, but if you do, don't say I didn't warn you.

I love the band because each individual member is extremely talented at what they do, especially lead vocalist Kyo, who is easily one of the best vocalists in music. He does a lot of things that just should not be humanly possible.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Japanese singer-songwriter Fujii Kaze has released a new song called "Michi Teyu Ku (Overflowing)." Below is the music video. He's has a big year and a half, ever since his song "Shinunoga E-Wa" went viral on TikTok and other places. He's also announced his first U.S. dates for his piano tour as well.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
ME:I, a girls group formed from the latest season of Produce 101 Japan, has released the MV for one of their debut songs, "Click." They make their formal debut on 4/17.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Here's a song from the 2014 Black Butler film adaptation by Akira, who is the frontwoman of visual kei (basically the Japanese equivalent to glam rock and hair metal) rock band Disacode.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Boy group Number_i has released the MV for their song, "Blow Your Cover," which is off their debut single album/EP. The group will also be at Coachella on Sunday, part of the 88rising show, along with other Asian musicians. Also, while the group is new, the members are not, as they were previously part of the boy group King & Prince until they left the group a year ago.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
You know this meme below featuring Mana, the androgynous guitarist of Japanese visual kei bands Malice Mizer and Moi dix Mois that's been popular on social media?
5oieah2tnqj21.jpg

It's actually from the former band's appearance on Hot Wave, where they performed their hit single "Beast of Blood" 23 years ago.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Yoasobi released their seventh EP titled E-Side 3 two weeks ago and here's their recent single, which is the English version of "Adventure".

Shiloh Otter

celebrating Doremi!
DIR EN GREY has released its 34th single, "The Devil in Me", which also contains remakes of debut album songs "Cage" and "Yokan" as b-sides.

Once again, I won't link to it directly, so search it out if you're into extreme heavy metal. (The release is on Spotify at the very least).

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Boomerang might as well join Nicktoons and TeenNick now.
"WBD just hates animation! They don't care about it!"

Counterpoint: Me TV Toons.
I heard Max is giving Scavengers Reign to Netflix. Maybe they'll do more with it over there than Max did.
My reaction that TeenNick is airing more cartoons than live-action.

Featured Posts