Teen Titans Go! "You're Fired" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment on this "Teen Titans Go!" Episode

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
An all-new Teen Titans Go! episode debut tonight at 7:30pm (ET/PT) on Cartoon Network. Discuss it here!

Teen Titans Go!
"You're Fired" aired Tuesday, June 25th, 2013 on Cartoon Network

Beast Boy’s poor job performance leads to his being fired from the Titans. After auditioning possible replacements, they hire a pair of shape-shifting twins to take Beast Boy’s place.

Comments?

Please note this 11-minute episode will be paired with a rerun of a previously-aired 11-minute episode.

wind

Oh snap its the Wonder Twins!!!

Good episode overall. It's nice seeing Vixen, Detective Chimp, and B'Wanna Beast in animation again.

Also nice work on the writing team with making the Wonder Twins fun.

Game Freak 4

TV Tropes is Ruining My Life!
You know, have the Wonder twins ever done any combinations attacks with their Abilities? Like, say, a "Shark+ Water Tank" combo?

Radical

Banned
Awesome/hilarious episode,

The highlights:
Poor Beast Boy fired/getting replaced for poor job performance.
Cool to see Vixen, B'Wana Beast, and Detective Chimp, yaaaaaaay, seeing the DC superheroes in Teen Titans Go! gets awesome by the minute.
Cyborg bashing on Vixen/B'Wana Beast, hahahahahahahaha.
Beast Boy the drag queen, hahahahahahahahaha.
The Wonder Twins: Zan/Jana, YAAAAAAAAY, nice to finally see them in a new DC series after Firestorm/Apache Chief, Samurai, and El Dorado(the Runaways from Young Justice), but no Gleek, rats, Jana was always one of my favorite epic hot superheroines.
Jana's animal-changing superpowers are similar to Beast Boy's, nice.
Robin making Zan the receptionist, the "Zan is useless" jokes always made me laugh, hahahahahahahahaha.
Beast Boy/Zan's plan to get Jana fired, hehehe.
Cool to see Plasmus in his ugly mutated form, sweet.
Beast Boy making Jana the sloth, hahahahahahahaha.
Cyborg's feet on poor Water Zan, hahahahahahahaha.
Raven's line before flushing Fish Beast Boy, hahahahahahaha.
Beast Boy bringing back Zan.
Farewell Wonder Twins: Zan/Jana, I hope they'll return maybe.
Beast Boy getting his job back as a receptionist, hahahahahahahaha.

The Wonder Twins: Zan/Jana doing combination attacks with their abilities would be so epic I wish.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
Cute episode. Neat cameos by Vixen, B'wana Beast, Detective Chimp and of course the Wonder Twins. Just a few nitpicks/queries, though:

The 'Zan is useless' jokes. To stand-up comedians and cartoon writers everywhere: Enough. The 'Zan is lame' shtick is beyond played out and needs to stop. I understand that Zan needed to be characterized as a bottom-feeder in order for the plot to work, but seriously, Zan's power is not useless already. The fault lies with lazy writers who are unable or unwilling to utilize his power in creative and imaginative ways. In the comics, dude could transform into ice monsters, clouds, liquid nitrogen, blizzards, hurricanes, typhoons and whirlpools. Nothing lame about that.

It would have been cool if CN could've gotten Michael Bell and Liberty Williams to reprise their roles as Zan and Jayna, but I don't how available they were or how much money they would've wanted.

The Titans rejected Detective Chimp right after he introduced himself. Heh.

Since when can Vixen only channel the abilities of nearby animals? My comic knowledge is sparse at best, but I always assumed that Mari's fox talisman enabled her to channel the abilities of any animal just by thinking about them. Having to drag a menagerie of critters around just so you can siphon their abilities would get pretty cumbersome, I'd imagine.

So, where was Beast Boy living while he was an ex-Titan? Was he crashing in his old room at the Doom Patrol's HQ?

Last edited by a moderator:

zoombie

After seeing this and realise how similar Beast Boy and Jana's powers are, I wouldn't shipping them together even for just a date. BTW, what happened to the flirtaous Beast Boy? I remember in the old show as well as the comics, he was a flirtaous person always hitting on girls.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
You know, with how if not meta, at the very least more aware cartoons of today are compared to some of their older counterparts, there is still a lot of cliche formulas being used. Usually in the whole "character has to learn a lesson about themselves and say they're going to change even if by the next episode they're the same" mentality. Granted this is more joked around some but in a lot of cases... it doesn't work for me. For example in American Dad there's a point made about Stan constantly having to learn lessons even though as he points out in some episodes he never learns them. Which should be funny but that also begs the question "why does every episode end with you having to learn one then?" Okay not every episode but if a character is defined by their inability not to change, why bother putting them in a situation that seems like they will when we know they won't? Because the comedy of that doesn't work if you know the character isn't going to learn the lesson but goes through all the methods of doing so. Which is why actually, Beast Boy here works for me. First off considering how much of a jerk and fool he's been in this show it does feel right he's called out on it and kicked out for his actions. And how if even something sort of similiar happened in the old series about him doing something wrong and being in trouble, he'd spend the rest of the ep all mopey and whiny in trying to fix the problem (such as "Forces Of Nature" and "Crash") even if by the next one he was still irresponsible. Granted even in the original cartoon some of the episodes didn't end really with a lesson either ("Don't Touch That Dial" and "Employee Of The Month") but this one just goes throughout the running time of how much BB will not learn a lesson. He didn't learn when he blew up a planet, when he was fired, when he talked to Cyborg, when he was trying to mess with Jayna, and even when Cyborg asks him if he learned anything from the encounter he flat out said he doesn't. I don't know why that is but that flat out refusal to even go through the motions of having to learn a lesson or try to be a better person and just say "no I'm still the same jerk and nothing about this expierence had any chance of changing me" I actually enjoy. If you're going to be that direct about making the character not learn a lesson make it not even appear like something that would ever of happen to really hammer in how silly these kind of plots are.

As for the rest of the episode well that was more hit and miss. The opening wasn't that good but it picked up showing some of the other try outs and getting to see this show's take on Vixen and Bwanna Beast (heh since this show is rated light PG thoguht they'd try vamping up Vixen some but eh going with her getting into animal character too much works as well). I also did like how they treated the Wonder Twins: unlike things that just treat them like a total waste of time joke, here they are actually tring to make Zanaya's power feel legit and have her actually as a member of the team and just have Zan feel useless with his water powers. For some reason I think it would of been better if they did try leaning more to the two both being useful and actually for once doing a totally different spin on the Wonder Twins. Or heck get Bleep in there and have jokes about how he makes better at monkeying around then Beast Boy ever did. Still there were good bits in BB messing with Zanya as well as Raven enjoying flushing BB down the toliet and Beast Boy actually happily declaring he's Batman at the end. Since you knew that they were going to make him the secretrary for the last joke but him having a counter attitude then Zan I didn't expect so props to the writers there. Overall some parts could of been better but for what it did, it was actually pretty good. And again props on this show for not only moving away from the hackyned lessons but even mocking such principals in the first place.

Charles Chimag

I also find this amusing!
So, apparently the octopus/ice unicycle transformation was a thing before this: Wonder Twins Powers Activate! - YouTube

A lot of fun stuff is coming out of this show. I don't mind that nobody ever learns a lesson because it's not supposed to develop serious characters like the original show tried to. This show's goal is to provide wacky comedy, which it does pretty well, and throws in some fun DC references along the way.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Wow, I really enjoyed this episode. The funniest in awhile, there were just so many funny scenes (the last scene, for example), and those cameos were neat. The Twins made for really cool characters; I hope they appear again.

Christopher Glennon

Punch Drunk Flounder
Staff member
Reporter
Best episode yet, if you ask me. And no, not just because of the Wonder Twins and other hero cameos (which were awesome), but because this episode managed to do a LOT. Super powered battle on another world, check. Beast Boy's antics montage, check. Hero tryouts, check. Beast Boy sabotaging, check. And Beast Boy being useful. They crammed so much into this, and the jokes were pretty much all hits. The only thing that bugged me, how was Zan able to hide from Jayna by turning into water in a fish bowl? Wouldn't that imply Jayna's powers are already activated and she can become whatever she wants without needing Zan?

The 'Zan is useless' jokes. To stand-up comedians and cartoon writers everywhere: Enough. The 'Zan is lame' shtick is beyond played out and needs to stop. I understand that Zan needed to be characterized as a bottom-feeder in order for the plot to work, but seriously, Zan's power is not useless already. The fault lies with lazy writers who are unable or unwilling to utilize his power in creative and imaginative ways. In the comics, dude could transform into ice monsters, clouds, liquid nitrogen, blizzards, hurricanes, typhoons and whirlpools. Nothing lame about that.

Do that many people make fun of Zan? I remember that old CN bumper with Zan complaining, and maybe a Harvey Birdman joke or two, but generally I find people rag on Aquaman most of all, and those jokes get really old.

So, apparently the octopus/ice unicycle transformation was a thing before this: Wonder Twins Powers Activate! - YouTube

Haha, that was great! Thanks for sharing.

Shawn Hopkins

TZ Member of the Year 2013
I really enjoy it when characters steadfastly refuse to learn any moral lessons, so this was one of my favorite episodes so far.

RoryWilliams

Since when can Vixen only channel the abilities of nearby animals? My comic knowledge is sparse at best, but I always assumed that Mari's fox talisman enabled her to channel the abilities of any animal just by thinking about them. Having to drag a menagerie of critters around just so you can siphon their abilities would get pretty cumbersome, I'd imagine.

You're correct. The person with the "animals must be close by" weakness was Animal Man, at least when Grant Morrison was writing him. Still, I thought it worked in the context of the cartoon.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

If Dick Dastardly ever returns in a SCOOB! sequel, I am sure he will be voiced by Mike Pollock. What do you think?
Twitter remains super toxic, I do not recommend spending more time on there than you have to. I have friends on there, but meh.
Today marks the 25th Year Anniversary of when the Original Game of the Super Smash Bros. Franchise was released in North America. It's quite surreal to see how far Nintendo's All-Star Battle Royale Franchise has come since its early days.
I watched the first episode of Yuru Camp this morning on a whim, though I did have slight influence from a Twitter friend who really likes it. Can't believe I waited until now to give it a shot, because I really enjoyed it.
I've said this before, but the Ignore button is a life saver.

Featured Posts