Teen Titans Go! "Video Game References" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment on this Episode of "Teen Titans Go!"

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Check out Teen Titans Go! tonight at 6:00pm (ET) on Cartoon Network!

Teen Titans Go!
"#93 - Video Game References" airs Thursday, April 16th, 2015 on Cartoon Network
Robin tries to teach the Titans to respect money, but he ends up as the one who learns the lesson.

Comments?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
This was actually a pretty great episode after a string of "Meh" ones. I guess because I am old enough to have played all the games these quests were based on. The meta commentary for each one cracked me. I think this is the episode I laughed the most so far with the whole series. Probably my favorite scene was the Spy Villain trying to get out of swapping insurance info.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Kind of like how "Dreams" was five different sort of parodies starring the different members of the team, this episode was pretty much the same thing, except all the parodies were retro video games. Maybe it's the team's love for the "classics" (as also referenced in The Titan's oddly 80's specific taste in TV from a few episodes ago) or maybe it's just the idea that chances are 85% of every TV show that reference video games just points out the stereotypes of the bygone era and not the current one. To either be more timely or likely the people who created the episode wanted to pay homage to what came before them. I guess to be fair this isn't the first CN series to do this as there were quite a lot of Adventure Time and Regular Show episodes dedicated to old video game tropes. And though this didn't have the gall to tear apart the power glove for being so terrible (and by gall I mean "oh hey you actually remembered that and made a joke about that. Didn't know that was a thing to do in the 2010s on TV") I think it honestly did work.

I think it helps that unlike other satires this is actually pointing out the falls and foiables of the games they're in and actually having fun with them. Unlike with "Dreams" I think this one actually got off on the best note with Starfire as the stuff mocking Legend of Zelda was the best. From pointing out the old man too terrified to go alone because of his own failed marrige, the squids and chicken being so easily tamed, the sword and bottle being called worthless and the Ganon esque creature taking over at the end. Felt like the team got the most of what they were talking about and honestly I think it's funnier the Titans actually either having more easy or at the very least getting further then just the initial first screen failure. There were at least decent bits from everyone else: Beast Boy's Frogger pointing out how the people weren't using the crosswalk properly and his chicken form being eaten by the gator, Raven trying to get the ghosts to team up on Pac Man before being eaten by Mrs Pac Man, Cyborg's Spy Hunter esque series getting in a fender bender and being chased down by the car and helicpoter, and Robin's disgust in having to go to a Super Mario sewer. Heck even the opening had some good zingers about the others annoyed at Robin for being overxaggerated at everything and for Starfire for always cheering it on due to her having to be nice. See shows they do know their own tropes and can mock them a bit and yeah a lot of great refs. Kind of wished we had some new ones to go with the older ones but eh still solid overall. Not as good as "dreams" as they saved the best for first and the others weren't as good as Legend of Starfire but still worth seeing.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I like how the Legend of Zelda chicken (or whatever they called it) went beserk on the old man.
Yeah, that wooden sword was pretty useless. :)

In Legend of Zelda canon, the chickens are called Cucco. In this episode, I think it was called "Coocalacka" which sounds even funnier, imo.

Choppasmith

Okay, I had to watch something with video game references in it, and yeah it was cute. Can't get over the funny coincidence that you have Starfire, voiced by Hynden Walch, portraying Link in a LoZ parody and then you have Viridi, voiced by Hynden Walch, crushing on Link in Super Smash Bros. An unintentional coincidence, I'm sure, but funny!

zoombie

I loved the tribute to the old school games I grew up with. It brings me back memory lane to playing the NES, those were the days.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Maybe it's because I'm a video game fan, but this was a really funny episode.

Ms. Pac-Man doesn't play fair. :p

My only complaint is that the ending is a bit weak, despite the fact that I do get the joke.

Ultra8

Now all I/You can do
On the one hand I kinda loathe this show due to some of the idiot-ball humor and the whole DC Nation reasons, on the other hand I like that the old cast gets to have fun and be wild and they occasionally spit out some genuinely funny gems.
This was one of those other hand moments and it was really fun, though I will admit Robin drowning in the pipe made for a pretty weak ending.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts