MeTV Toons Network to Launch as a Collaboration Between Weigel Broadcasting and Warner. Bros Discovery - Launching on June 25th

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
I do want to mention during the Catchy Comedy Looney Tunes marathon they did show some newer shorts so that might not be out of the possibility either.
I wonder if it will repeat Toon in with Me or they'll make more hosted blocks, that'd be fun to have some of that. Makes me wonder if MeTV+ drops their toon programming then too. (not the main METV the extra one)

JMTV

Pim The Precious Boi
I wonder if it will repeat Toon in with Me or they'll make more hosted blocks, that'd be fun to have some of that.
That would be really cool if MeTV Toons added more hosted blocks. I can only imagine a CN Fridays-esque block on the channel will do wonders for them, but I know it's unlikely.

Mandouga

I heard Pixie and Dixie might be possible too

Why not just show the entire Huckleberry Hound Show with Huck, Pixie and Dixie, and Yogi Bear complete with the opening and closing sequences, plus all the in-between stuff? I mean, that would be possible, wouldn't it?…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
I’ve been out of the loop here, but this is some of the best animation news I’ve heard in a while. I really hope this channel comes in on the tv in my room.

Marble

Worms and plastic minnows!
I think the masters will be flawed, and I think Me TV is taking advantage that this isnt a Blu Ray release but a free tv broadcast. so its okay if the footage shows its age.

Do the rights holders charge more for the better quality sources or something?
Just wondering because I noticed The Smurfs on Max were clearly using a digitally restored HD copy while the exact same episodes on Amazon looked like a VHS copy with blown out colors and everything.

Also generally wondering what sort of cash was laid down for all these shows and what sort of deals were made and for how long. It couldn't have been an insignificant amount, so they must have real confidence in the project.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Hoping this doesn't turn out to be another Funimation Channel. They never expanded and eventually died with hardly anybody getting access to it. Ideally, all fifty states should get access to it, not just big markets. I know Boomerang was on a more expensive tier and kept people from accessing it in its glory days, but at least it was geographically accessible to most markets. I remember Loony Tunes and Flintstones on Boomerang fondly. I am hoping the "big cities only" approach is only for the test phase and that they expand by 2025 to all fifty states.

Tacomaster

I Actually Like Pizza More
2025 might be a bit soon, but I am convinced this is going to work. The big cities are getting it first because there are more people there, maximizing their launch audience.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
2025 might be a bit soon, but I am convinced this is going to work. The big cities are getting it first because there are more people there, maximizing their launch audience.

That makes it a long wait for me. At least Tubi has the classic 60s Hanna-Barbara era stuff everybody knows and loves. I'll be jealous of you urban peeps who get to see Freakazoid and Taz-Mania and the titles not on streaming.

Kooplecrap Me

Cartoonist, Researcher, Inactive YouTuber
Since we all know that MeToons will be carried in more markets compared to PBJ, I hope it's successful. PBJ only lasted a few years and ceased operations back in 2016

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Hoping this doesn't turn out to be another Funimation Channel. They never expanded and eventually died with hardly anybody getting access to it. Ideally, all fifty states should get access to it, not just big markets. I know Boomerang was on a more expensive tier and kept people from accessing it in its glory days, but at least it was geographically accessible to most markets. I remember Loony Tunes and Flintstones on Boomerang fondly. I am hoping the "big cities only" approach is only for the test phase and that they expand by 2025 to all fifty states.
Or Comcast people, like me that never ever ever got Boomerang. Weigel currently own stations in major markets, plus like Milwaukee, South Bend will probably be in there. They have to attract other station groups and also worry about bandwidth. They might talk with groups that have deals for METV first like Gray, Hearst, but yeah the hard part is the channel market place. Best hope is the streamers like Philo, Friendly (wrong spelling), etc.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Weigel currently own stations in major markets, plus like Milwaukee, South Bend will probably be in there.

I think most of the Midwestern and Southern states without a major sports team are going to be missing out, and even a few states that have one (Louisiana, Minnesota, Oklahoma, North Carolina) probably will have to wait.

Not to mention, they’re making a companion FAST channel.

Probably the best hope for rural Southern and Midwestern cartoonaboos to get to watch these MeTV Toons in some form?

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
I don't want to focus on what's *not* on here, but one character conspicuous by their absence (at least to me, and unless I missed him) is Quick Draw McGraw. The Quick Draw McGraw Show famously didn't get any DVD releases, at least in part, because the library music cue used in the early episodes suddenly got very expensive.
I noticed and was slightly disappointed, as well. I really like The Quick Draw McGraw Show and think that it has some of Hanna-Barbera's best writing, so I'd like it to be available, but it looks doubtful so far.

I also hope the Flintstones isnt just the original series, that they include the spinoffs, specials (we know the Christmas special is included) and Flintstones Kids as well.
Well, check out this picture of characters and shows expected to be a part of the channel's opening day.

GMl8nbTWQAAy9aj

You'll see Fred Flintstone featured twice, once with Wilma in what I assume is meant to represent the classic series, and with Bamm-Bamm dressed as Tiny Tim from A Flintstones Christmas Carol. Either they have their holiday plans set early, or this could represent more Flintstones content beyond the original 166 episodes.

awinger24

I’m intrigued about the lineup.

Freakazoid! airing is a surprise. I really wish they got the rights to air the original Animaniacs and Tiny Toon Adventures after the streaming rights on Hulu expired. Maybe it is licensing and a bunch of legal hurdles with Amblin including getting the rights to licensed music used in many episodes.

aegisrawks

Despite what I said about this being an adults channel, I REALLY WANT them to air Pretty Cure, the Canadian dub is uncut footage wise, and technically its NOT NEW, its a 20 year old show now and the dub is only less old by a few years..

JMTV

Pim The Precious Boi
Despite what I said about this being an adults channel, I REALLY WANT them to air Pretty Cure, the Canadian dub is uncut footage wise, and technically its NOT NEW, its a 20 year old show now and the dub is only less old by a few years..
Well, if that's the case, I really want them to air Codename Kids Next Door and Mucha Lucha onto MeTV Toons lol. They used to air on Kids WB in the mid 2000's, so why not? :D

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

My reaction that TeenNick is airing The Tiny Chef Show:
Hey, Multiversus: Enough of the freaking villains already. Give us Daffy Duck!
Of all of Cartoon Network's detractors, no one hates Cartoon Network more than Warner Bros Discovery.
Does anyone else think that Doug Walker has just been phoning it in with the Nostalgia Critic episodes lately? Maybe he doesn't need to be doing a new episode of NC every week anymore. I think that Doug should cut NC down to just 1 episode per month or something similar.
Action! wrote on Dr.Pepper's profile.
Congrats on being promoted!

Featured Posts