"MeTV Toons" Network Launching on June 25th

Jeff Harris

Creator/Webmaster, TXB
There is for first-run syndication...or did that get changed?
It was never an FCC-guided rule, just standard industry practice.

The TV industry tended to program for 13-week schedules on broadcast television. On Saturday mornings, it's an order of 13 episodes. When stripped for weekday distribution, producers often ordered 65 episodes to satisfy a distribution order. 65 episodes carry over for 13 weeks, meaning it could air once and repeat three additional times.

As the TV industry shifted from daily syndication to weekly strips, it moved to a 13-episode season with the hopes that it would reach four seasons, or 52 episodes, which would work for a year-long weekly strip or 10 weeks across five days and two extra days before starting over. If a show was lucky to get a fifth season, then it could easily have a 65-episode weekday run.

Again, it's not an FCC requirement. It's just an antiquated industry standard that has become decreased over time.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
There is for first-run syndication...or did that get changed?
To best explain it: it wasn't an FCC edict. It was more a practicality by the companies themselves, for money reasons and sales. Older cartoons used to just be 13 episodes or a little more then rerun alot, for a season then maybe new reruns of a different show or a new animated show would come in. That's how Saturday Morning Cartoons worked in the 60's and 70's. That 13 number comes in to play because weekday shows couldn't run on just 13 episodes, so they went 13x5 is 65 so make a season of a show 65 episodes, so it could be run 5 days a week for 13 weeks, then repeated.

MTAF1976

Weigel air some shows that have less than 65 episodes like 1970s SWAT on MeTV+ and Lethal Weapon TV series on H&I.

I'm interested about what schedule on MeTV Toons would looks like.
both of those are hour long programs I think so really double the episode number

Tacomaster

I Actually Like Pizza More
I know I suggested this as a joke previously, and I'll do it again: Maybe, down the line, MeTV Plus could take advantage of The Simpsons being in broadcast syndication to air that show. Some subchannels do use broadcast syndication series to fill out their schedules, and while previous jokey suggestions Family Guy and Bob's Burgers are on The CW Plus, The Simpsons is not. IIRC, some syndicated stations still air older episodes, so just air the 90s episodes to fit the theme of the channel. (Besides, if MeTV Toons is airing 90s cartoons, why not air THE animated 90s phenomena, one that's still popular and relevant to this day?)

Then again, it'll probably never happen.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
I know I suggested this as a joke previously, and I'll do it again: Maybe, down the line, MeTV Plus could take advantage of The Simpsons being in broadcast syndication to air that show. Some subchannels do use broadcast syndication series to fill out their schedules, and while previous jokey suggestions Family Guy and Bob's Burgers are on The CW Plus, The Simpsons is not. IIRC, some syndicated stations still air older episodes, so just air the 90s episodes to fit the theme of the channel. (Besides, if MeTV Toons is airing 90s cartoons, why not air THE animated 90s phenomena, one that's still popular and relevant to this day?)

Then again, it'll probably never happen.
Broadcast syndication is slightly different than what these digital networks do, but if anyone does pick up the Simpsons etc. I'd feel it'd be Scripps buying rights and going with airing them on Laff.

Micahel Cataldo

Frndly TV is carrying MeTV Toons on their service on June 25th. What other cable provides will carry MeTV Toons on June 25th?

Jeff Harris

Creator/Webmaster, TXB
Here's a thought.

Why should something that already is on three different cable channels in multiple timeslots and currently has a permanent home on one of the largest streaming platforms on the planet and currently in production on primetime television on a major broadcast network every week and in block syndication nationwide take away a slot for something that isn't?

Let me substitute a similar show in your scenario, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.

SVU is a '90s series that was spun off from another popular series that airs on multiple timeslots and currently has a permanent home on a major streaming platform and is currently in production on primetime television on a major broadcast network every week and in block syndication nationwide.

Again, using your scenario of only airing a decade's worth of episodes, would you want to see the Staebler-era SVU episodes on MeTV? If you said no in this scenario, why would you want to see only the first decade of The Simpsons on MeTV Toons?

Because it's a cartoon? That's no excuse.

I'd rather MeTV Toons be an outlet that showcases great classic cartoons, especially shows that aren't readily available or accessible to audiences or currently in production, than a show that is pretty much everywhere on many platforms and still in production.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
The link has updated and says the Facebook post was deleted. Hopefully it was just a quick wrong time announcement and will be able say later.

Micahel Cataldo

I know the 3 cable provides that won't be getting MeTV Toons and they are Xfinity, Cablevision and Verizon Fios.

harry580

I know that would never happen due to the whole disney doesn't cared about the library & doesn't want to license it thing but what if metv airs shows that used to air on fox kids like bobby world, eek the cat, fox's Peter Pan & the pirates & a bunch of shows by dfe films & marvel productions and the filmation shows that 20th century fox television produced

edit: bobby world is owned by splash entertainment now so maybe they can try to get it on the network

Last edited:

Jeff Harris

Creator/Webmaster, TXB
Will they air more anime?
It's definitely possible they could air more than just Speed Racer and Marine Boy. It's all about availability, what the network can get access to and if studios/distributors are willing to bring those shows to broadcast television.

There are folks who appreciate classic anime on MeTV TOONS' staff, most notably Jerry Beck, who, in addition to being an animation historian, was also the co-founder of Streamline Pictures, one of the first mainstream distributors of the modern era of anime.

I think something like Astro Boy, Gigantor, Kimba the White Lion, Voltron, and maybe Star Blazers and Robotech could easily fit on the lineup, but I won't necessarily be holding my breath for Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, or any major anime title from the last 30 years. They're going for the Baby Boomer/Gen X audience at launch.

Of the shows I mentioned, I think Voltron has the best chance of appearing on the channel mostly because MeTV TOONS is getting library shows from Voltron's current distributor NBC Universal.

Chris Wood

Desslar
It's definitely possible they could air more than just Speed Racer and Marine Boy. It's all about availability, what the network can get access to and if studios/distributors are willing to bring those shows to broadcast television.

There are folks who appreciate classic anime on MeTV TOONS' staff, most notably Jerry Beck, who, in addition to being an animation historian, was also the co-founder of Streamline Pictures, one of the first mainstream distributors of the modern era of anime.

I think something like Astro Boy, Gigantor, Kimba the White Lion, Voltron, and maybe Star Blazers and Robotech could easily fit on the lineup, but I won't necessarily be holding my breath for Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, or any major anime title from the last 30 years. They're going for the Baby Boomer/Gen X audience at launch.

Of the shows I mentioned, I think Voltron has the best chance of appearing on the channel mostly because MeTV TOONS is getting library shows from Voltron's current distributor NBC Universal.
If they do show all those older anime I'll be a regular watcher for sure. But probably would need to be the middle of the night as they won't draw as large audiences as comedy shorts.

Zorak Masaki

I hope they show the cartoons in chronological order as well. Not that most of these shows really had arcs, but it'll show how they developed throughout the run of the shows.

Zorak Masaki

Also, another suggestion, and this is a long shot, but do what TV Land used to do and air "retromercials". Now, getting the rights to old commercials from existing brands may be hard, but maybe they could air toy commercials from the shows airing here that had a toy line (as long as they can get a deal with the toy companies).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I don't know where to post this...
but Alvin and the Chipmunks movie is in development of Disney.

I guess Nick is officially done with this franchise for now.
Happy 20th Birthday to the Cartoon Network City Era!

Watching this clip from the Princess Power special "Princess Royal Wedding", where Queen Ryung & Queen Olivia get married, makes me glad that the show was picked up by a streaming service. If it was picked up by the Junior 3 (Disney Jr, Nick Jr , & PBS Kids), an episode like this either wouldn't be made or if it,would come when the show was went to a less available channel
Happy 20th anniversary to my favorite CN logo and CN City.
Today marks the 20th Year Anniversary of Cartoon Network's "City Era". This era ties with the "Powerhouse Era" as my favorite era through out the channel's history.

Featured Posts