"Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (Animated)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 3 (Spoilers)

colomb

I think they'll burn off the remaining Guardians episodes around Endgame while Spider-man's return will coincide with Far From Home, sort of like how Black Panther's Quest coincided with Black History month.

Frontier

Staff member
I think they'll burn off the remaining Guardians episodes around Endgame while Spider-man's return will coincide with Far From Home, sort of like how Black Panther's Quest coincided with Black History month.
Yeah, a part of me can't help but think they'll stretch out Spider-Man's return that long :sweat:.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Just a quick note - the Disney April highlights press release doesn't seem to include any Guardians episodes as airing next month. This doesn't necessarily mean the show definitely won't return. It's happened before, for the show to not be listed in such documents, but I imagine there would have been a mention about it returning after such a long hiatus.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I think the hiatus for this show is far too long, especially without reruns being constant. Will the same kids who watched the show a year ago still even be into cartoons?

Frontier

Staff member
I think the hiatus for this show is far too long, especially without reruns being constant. Will the same kids who watched the show a year ago still even be into cartoons?
I dunno. I don't think a year would necessarily be enough time for kids to grow out of cartoons, especially if they enjoy them, but I can't say this hiatus has done much for the show's momentum or popularity.

Granted, if it's ending this season then those factors probably don't really matter much now anyways.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I dunno. I don't think a year would necessarily be enough time for kids to grow out of cartoons, especially if they enjoy them, but I can't say this hiatus has done much for the show's momentum or popularity.

Granted, if it's ending this season then those factors probably don't really matter much now anyways.
Even if it isn't long enough to grow out of cartoons it's long enough to grow out of the show. I definitely didn't like the same cartoons from year to year when I was a kid.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
On April 21, reruns return, at least at 6am, after a roughly year long hiatus. It's a bloody miracle.

Frontier

Staff member
On April 29th, it will be ONE YEAR after the latest episode of the season was aired. They better continue the new episodes by that time, because delaying them so much is ridiculous.
Well, at least the show is going to be on Disney+, although it would be kind of hilarious if the full series is on there come November and they haven't finished airing the current season :p.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
The show returns on Sunday May 5th. There's a gallery showing the various art-styles for the "Black Vortex" arc in the link.

Sunday, May 5 (9:30 pm ET/PT)

"Black Vortex, Part One" – When the Guardians become separated in the Black Vortex, Gamora wakes up in a children's fairytale, while Drax is trapped in a comic book.

"Black Vortex, Part Two" – While caught in a CG sinister packing factory, Rocket must search for his best friend Groot and escape.

Sunday, May 12 (9:30 pm ET/PT)

"Black Vortex, Part Three" – Quill finds himself in a claymation world where the Milano is flying into the sun, threatening to melt him. Meanwhile, Groot and Drax must fight Ronan in a Golden Age world.

"Black Vortex, Part Four" - Gamora and Quill battle their way through an 8-bit Super Marvel World.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
The show returns on Sunday May 5th. There's a gallery showing the various art-styles for the "Black Vortex" arc in the link.
FINALLY :D!
Sunday, May 5 (9:30 pm ET/PT)

"Black Vortex, Part One" – When the Guardians become separated in the Black Vortex, Gamora wakes up in a children's fairytale, while Drax is trapped in a comic book.
Gamora looks like she's honestly in Tangled: The Series :p.

Is that Drax in his original comic look? Awesome ;).
"Black Vortex, Part Two" – While caught in a CG sinister packing factory, Rocket must search for his best friend Groot and escape.
Looks like a Disney Jr. cartoon :cool:.
Sunday, May 12 (9:30 pm ET/PT)

"Black Vortex, Part Three" – Quill finds himself in a claymation world where the Milano is flying into the sun, threatening to melt him. Meanwhile, Groot and Drax must fight Ronan in a Golden Age world.
So we move from traditional Disney, comic book, CG, to claymation. They're getting all the animation styles out there :anime:.

I wasn't expecting Ronan to come back here. I wonder if "Golden Age" means we might finally see the classic Guardians :)?
"Black Vortex, Part Four" - Gamora and Quill battle their way through an 8-bit Super Marvel World.
8-Bit? This should be fun :proud:.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
At this point I doubt ratings is much of an issue for the Marvel cartoons :sweat:.
Especially given the abysmal 9:30 pm time slot on Sunday evening. I'm pretty sure Marvel's Spiderman will get this time slot when it returns for new episodes.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
I like what they're doing with those stylistic choices. Drax looks awesome as comic Drax. I figured they might use the Tangled/Penn Zero technique for a princess theme and it looks good. Rocket looks more like 30s style Fleischer cartoons than Tex Avery stuff but that's cool none the less. It would have been a nice revisit if they used that Skottie Young styled designs from the shorts for traditional CGI but it will still be interesting to see all of these.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
The art-styles look pretty nice and I imagine they will only look better in motion. It's cool they're trying out some new stuff, kind of reminds me of the "Spider-Verse" arcs from USM, with a touch of the CGI Rocket & Groot toons in there as well.

I've seen it suggested somewhere else the Claymation Quill looks like Jimmy Neutron. :p

And yeah, the black & white style doesn't exactly scream "Tex Avery" to me, either. But I like it, a pretty nice and unexpected surprise. As soon as I saw it I was expecting them to call it Disney style or something.

Anyway - it's cool to finally have the show back. There should be eat least 5 more episodes after this, that we know of. I imagine there will be more airing next month (I don't see the point in taking a break after only 4 episodes, and after over a year long hiatus).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.
Well, this is how the animated "Married with Children" looks like.
It's interesting how Disney Junior is rebranding, first with the logo, and now educational curriculum being developed under Disney Junior Education And Inclusion rather than the Disney Junior Educational Resource Group.

Featured Posts