"Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (Animated)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 3 (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Roxas_Sora

Apr 5, 2007
South of Europe
I think the Black Vortex is basically like Ultimate Spider-Man's Spider-Verse. At some of those alternative realities, Spider-Man and the other had different animation style. At Spider-Man 2099's, we had CGI; and at Spider-Ham and Web-beard's, we had "extremely cartoonish".

Reactions: Frontier

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
I think the Black Vortex is basically like Ultimate Spider-Man's Spider-Verse. At some of those alternative realities, Spider-Man and the other had different animation style. At Spider-Man 2099's, we had CGI; and at Spider-Ham and Web-beard's, we had "extremely cartoonish".
They were also just as accurate to their original comic stories.

The comic Black Vortex storyline was basically just everybody getting Cosmic upgrades instead of traveling to different worlds :p.

Reactions: Capt.Traphouse

Roxas_Sora

Apr 5, 2007
South of Europe
They were also just as accurate to their original comic stories.

The comic Black Vortex storyline was basically just everybody getting Cosmic upgrades instead of traveling to different worlds :p.
This brings me to mind, if Spider-Man would have entered into the Black Vortex, could he became Captain Universe? Or more like "Captain Spider-verse"?

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
Adam Beechen is writing for the series.

Always neat to see him doing some comic cartoon work :).

Cort Lane talks about the Black Vortex arc.
For example, our upcoming second part of our Mission Breakout season of Guardians of the Galaxy, Black Vortex, explores six different animation styles for each of the Guardians as we move through the story. On the one hand it serves the story well, and there are character reasons for each animation style, but it was also a good opportunity to branch into more experimental choices and go with different styles than you usually get to do in a typical 22-episode season of an animated series.

Nrama: So when you see something like the success of Spider-Verse, which you adapted a few years ago as part of the Ultimate Spider-Man series, does that encourage you to go out on more of a limb and branch into these styles that are maybe pushing the envelope a little bit for the superhero genre?

Lane: It does – and that was the primary reason for our first Spider-Verse animated story in Ultimate Spider-Man, was to push those boundaries and get into different styles. We showed all the different animations separately to children and talked about which styles were most engaging with these kind of characters.

That opened us up to explore more comedy like we did with our Spider-Ham shorts, which were based on Skottie Young’s comic book art. And that led us to do Rocket & Groot CG shorts based on that Skottie Young style.

Nrama: Speaking of Black Vortex, fans may recognize that as a comic book storyline. How directly does the animated version of the story adapt the comic book?

Lane: It’s a reference, but not a direct one. What we wanted to do was separate the Guardians across dimensions and then reunited in another dimension, each with different animation styles. To me, the way we went about it is a little closer to the Siege Perilous from X-Men comics. Marty Isenberg, the story editor on Guardians, worked to combine the two concepts into a narrative in a really cool way.

We decided to great really creative in the way we interpreted the characters. Like, for example, we kind of realized Gamora is somewhat like a Disney Princess, in a way. But she’s the toughest, most butt-kicking princess around, so we thought it was fun to put her in a more traditional princess world.

For Drax, we trapped him in a comic book. But in the comic book world, he’s the comic book version of Drax, Arthur Douglas, who was once human. There’s such a gap between that comic book version of Drax and the cinematic version everyone knows, we wanted to explore that space a little and have him exploring this bizarre origin he doesn’t recognize while playing with superhero tropes.

Each of them has an important character purpose and story purpose for each of the Guardians, and each of them can really stand alone from a story perspective. The Black Vortex concept allowed us to explore that. The Guardians come out the other side learning a lot about themselves, but also not knowing where they are.

The Black Vortex story is the most creatively compelling thing we’ve ever done. It premieres on May 5. I hope people check it out. We have a lot of cool stuff planned for it. We’re even showing through some of our social media platforms the behind-the-scenes process of how we created something so unique.

Nrama: You mentioned the Siege Perilous from X-Men comic books, a cosmic portal that takes those who go through it to new lives and new environments, and it’s easy to see how that idea has been adapted to this Black Vortex story. Since you brought up the X-Men, in comics, Black Vortex was a crossover between the Guardians and X-Men. Any chance of an X cameo in this story?

Lane: No cameo yet – but maybe one day. No plans yet though.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoyalRubble

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
She's owned by Disney and her father figure is like a space warlord, which is similar to a king?

I just thought for a second about how surreal it is that I live in a world where I can just assume that people know who Gamora is now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
And she's also kinda maybe Star-Lord's love interest who's also a prince? So royalty by association :p?

Reactions: Rick Jones

Capt.Traphouse

Sexiest Thing Since Sex
May 26, 2015
NY
Gamora... A disney Princess?! And what exactly makes Gamora be like a Disney Princess? The only Disney Princess that I know who can use a sword and kick butts is Mulan, and she's not even a real Princess. Or, in the best case, maybe Jasmine.
She spends all her time with a funny Raccoon, a talking tree and is in love with a lying manchild. She's like almost every Disney princess combined.

She's also a survivor of genocide like Pocahantas.

Last edited:

Roxas_Sora

Apr 5, 2007
South of Europe
She spends all her time with a funny Raccoon, a talking tree and is in love with a lying manchild. She's like almost every Disney princess combined.

She's also a survivor of genocide like Pocahantas.
"Survivor of genocide"? Excuse me, but as far as I can remember, Pocahontas' people were still alive at the end of the first and second disney's films.

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com
I just love Vanessa Marshall's comment where she says, "Its like Gamora's own h**l" given her tough as nails persona. Though for the Drax segment, I did not expect it to cross paths into a Spiderman like world given the J. Jonah J'son scene. It's definitely campy in that sense.
Design wise, it could be better, but it's at least fun and visually stylized .

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"Steamed Hams" is airing right now!
I decided it's time to make some changes for my life.. I will have to spend less time on animesuperhero site, so I need some more time to do some more work.
Red Arrow wrote on RegularCapital's profile.
Glad you're back :)
Alien News Desk is actually kinda funny. No one talks about it though, of course.
Any news about the "Magia Record" anime?