Cultural Accuracy And Representation In Animation: How Important Is It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaynebow

I think at the end of the day, some people are pissed because voice acting is not this sparkling industry where discrimination is not a huge thing. And it hurts to think that some of the critical VA darlings might have gotten their iconic roles by stepping on the backs of minorities. Or worse, got famous for voicing POOR portrayals of minorities.

But the fact that Phil Lamar and Cree Summer are the only minority VAs whose names I’ve seen frequently on this thread, it tells me that as much as I stand by voice actors not having to look the part, it DOES need to be diverse, because I’m sure Phil and Cree wanna retire are SOME point and they’d want to leave the industry in the hands of a colorful crowd of talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I think at the end of the day, some people are pissed because voice acting is not this sparkling industry where discrimination is not a huge thing. And it hurts to think that some of the critical VA darlings might have gotten their iconic roles by stepping on the backs of minorities. Or worse, got famous for voicing POOR portrayals of minorities.

But the fact that Phil Lamar and Cree Summer are the only minority VAs whose names I’ve seen frequently on this thread, it tells me that as much as I stand by voice actors not having to look the part, it DOES need to be diverse, because I’m sure Phil and Cree wanna retire are SOME point and they’d want to leave the industry in the hands of a colorful crowd of talent.

It sucks. But I'm glad it's happening now.

TheGreatOne2

Andy Signore of Popcorned Planet has posted a video:

He also says that Female Voice Actors like Nancy Cartwright who voices Boys should also be recasted

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
He also says that Female Voice Actors like Nancy Cartwright who voices Boys should also be recasted
That's not going to happen because that's ridiculous. Men cannot voice boys because their voices don't go high enough. You either cast a real-life boy or an adult woman. Those are your choices. And I don't think it's reasonable to ask The Simpsons to have be forced to recast one of its main characters every few years with actors with no experience and definitely less talent. You can tell that video is trying to muddy the issue. It's trolling.

I hate Ebonics! Not only is the massive amount of bad grammar super annoying but it makes African-Americans sound more stupid than they actually are. It's an offensive stereotype that they are unknowably propagating, and it needs to be stopped!
This is one of the most racist posts I have read on this site in years.

Edit:

Everybody? This is a sensitive issue. Could we all maybe watch what we say about it?

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Sorry if I sound rude, but I seriously don’t think there’s enough English-speaking Japanese voice actors out there who can fulfill the many roles even a single anime brings to the table. That’s a lot of filters to me and while they’ll definitely find them, I wouldn’t be surprised if the selection pool is quite small.

And in regards to Tricia, I wouldn’t be surprised if they got rid of her outright. Unless we have another case of Cree Summer voicing Foxxy Brown, I don’t think any Asian VA would step up to voice her since she’s not a very good character writing-wise.

Should the entire voice cast of My Hero Academia be fired and recast tomorrow?

As for my personal feelings, it's hard for me to be "angry" about this when I haven't watched or enjoyed Simpsons in years. Same with Family Guy. I mean I will watch Family Guy or have it on in the background, but I don't really like Family Guy. Never really liked Cleveland Show.

To me, it's a shame that Simpsons stayed on for this long just because. I feel like the show hasn't really been good or culturally relevant in years. Futurama came on and was a far better show while the Simpsons had basically been dropping in quality for years, and Futurama often got shoved to the side.

IMHO, I think waiting this long to do anything about Cleveland Brown is a meaningless gesture. There were some complaints before about Mike Henry voicing Cleveland, but Fox, Henry and McFarlane never did anything about it before despite them and their staff all being very politically liberal and progressive. Despite this and the idea being "wrong," they had Henry voicing Cleveland for over 20 years, the entirety of his own spinoff show and when the character returned to Family Guy. A show that's had about two decades worth of seasons and 350 episodes, plus the Cleveland Show spinoff.

It's not like Henry was a placeholder voice or just did this character for a season and got replaced like Lacey Chabert. He did almost this character's entire history. Henry is tied to the entire history of this character.

Now maybe Family Guy/Cleveland can survive for another 21 years and another 350 episodes, but we'll see.

My feeling is this. I think ideally you should cast ethnically appropriate actors for certain roles, but I don't think it should ALWAYS be a hard and fast rule either. Should anyone voice Edna Mode than Brad Bird? Is it bad that Brad Bird is the male director and voicing a woman? IMHO filmmakers and artists shouldn't be forced against those decisions if they realize, 'Hey you know Brad Bird is really nailing this character. Let's just let him voice Edna Mode."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How do I post comments on profile posts without that stupid ad on the bottom blocking me?
Al Jean hoping The Simpsons makes it to 1000 episodes sounds more like a threat than a promise, especially with how Julie Kavner's voice has been sounding.
Veronica Taylor posted on Twitter that Rachael Lillis has been ill for a few months, and posted the link to a GoFundMe set up by Rachael's sister Laurie. I will post it here:

Here's an Intel Pentium MMX commercial featuring the voice of Casey Kasem, along with a certain disco hit song:

Featured Posts