Could Hi-Fi Rush Be Coming To Switch? (EDIT: And every other Xbox game too?!?)

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
From the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"Could Hi-Fi Rush Be Coming To Switch?"​

vlcscreenshot2023-01-25-17h50m40s321-1675369216310.jpg

"One year ago this month, the video game Hi-Fi Rush was published exclusively on the XBox series of consoles. It was also made available on the PC, so non-owners weren’t totally out of luck, but traditionally, first-party games tend to remain on the console they were built for. Traditions, however, tend to be broken.

There are rumblings that Microsoft is preparing to offer first-party titles from their current catalog on other consoles, fueled by a quote from Xbox chief financial officer Tim Stuart last November. “Not announcing anything broadly here, but our mission is to bring our first-party experiences [and] our subscription services to every screen that can play games. That means smart TVs, that means mobile devices, that means what we would have thought of as competitors in the past like PlayStation and Nintendo.”

The lead rumor is that Hi-Fi Rush will be the first of these to make the leap, and that it will leap to Nintendo Switch, where its colorful, jumpy aesthetic would feel the most at home."

Read the full article here.

Anyone play Hi-Fi Rush on Xbox Game Pass? Would you welcome it to the Nintendo Switch?!?

Last edited:

the_joker

Porting an Xbox exclusive to competing consoles might be a bad idea on paper as exclusive games are pretty much the reason for getting a console. and Microsoft is apparently greatly lagging behind its competitors. Then again, the Xbox store and Game Pass offer a huge backlog of old games, which in a way count as exclusives as the PS store doesn't offer nearly as many old games, and the NSO appears to be completely inferior in terms of the execution of its service, but that hasn't helped Microsoft. Imagine if Nintendo let Mario and Zelda games be playable on competing consoles. Would Nintendo consoles sell nearly as well? In that case, I probably wouldn't need a Switch as I almost never play it handheld. However, I'm not too sure why some PS games like Horizon Zero Dawn or Spider-Man are ported to PC as that would defeat the purpose of being exclusive.

Personally, I probably wouldn't get it on Switch. I'd rather get an Xbox console in the future and play Hi-Fi Rush eventually so I can play a "better" version of the game.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Well, Xbox's plan is more focused on Game Pass, rather than the number of "Series S/X consoles" that it sells.

Cuphead says hello…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's different tiers of "exclusivity" with games.

Minecraft, and I expect "Call of Duty" as well, are in the "too big, we HAVE to share with other consoles" (Cuphead may fall in that bracket as well).

Triple A games like Starfield, and the upcoming "Fable" and "Perfect Dark" games are the "high quality games" they will use to push Xbox console sales. I don't expect these games to EVER get shared on other consoles.

Midtier (Double A) games like "Hi-Fi Rush" and "Redfall" (if it weren't so broken) are the perfect "We had them on Gamepass for a while, now let's farm them out to other systems and get more money" type games. I fully expect Hi-Fi Rush to go to other consoles. "Psychonaughts 2" is another good example (published by Xbox, but also released on Playstation, to get more sales).

the_joker

There's different tiers of "exclusivity" with games.

Minecraft, and I expect "Call of Duty" as well, are in the "too big, we HAVE to share with other consoles" (Cuphead may fall in that bracket as well).

Triple A games like Starfield, and the upcoming "Fable" and "Perfect Dark" games are the "high quality games" they will use to push Xbox console sales. I don't expect these games to EVER get shared on other consoles.

Midtier (Double A) games like "Hi-Fi Rush" and "Redfall" (if it weren't so broken) are the perfect "We had them on Gamepass for a while, now let's farm them out to other systems and get more money" type games. I fully expect Hi-Fi Rush to go to other consoles. "Psychonaughts 2" is another good example (published by Xbox, but also released on Playstation, to get more sales).
Is that really how it works? Bigger-budget games are the ones that tend not to be shared?

I did wonder why Kena, Bloodborne, and plenty of Final Fantasy games weren't available on Xbox. And Kena and Cuphead were made by smaller studios.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Well, okay, just toss everything I said the other day out the window:

Some Video Game news outlets are reporting Xbox IS considering releasing their BIG titles to other platforms (Starfield, Indiana Jones, etc).

So....more and more, it just sounds like Xbox is giving up on selling Xbox consoles (to be clear, they're NOT giving up on selling software).

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Okay, so Xbox heads Phil Spencer, Sarah Bond and Matt Booty appeared on the official Xbox podcast yesterday and clarified what's going on.

They did say that 4 Xbox titles are coming to other platforms (though they didn't confirm which 4). They did shoot down that rumor that Indiana Jones and Starfield are going to other platforms. I take it that applies to "Gears of War" as well. So that seems to confirm the big "Triple A" games (like Indiana Jones and Starfield), are indeed staying Xbox exclusives.

Other outlets are reporting (via leaks or insider info) that the "4 Xbox owned games" that are going to other platforms are "Pentiment", "Hi-Fi Rush", "Grounded" and "Sea of Thieves". Pentiment and Hi-Fi Rush are the "Double A" level games (not Triple A big tier games), so they feel it's fine to share those with other platforms. And "Grounded and "Sea of Thieves" are "community/multiplayer/ongoing live service" games that do better with more people enrolled across multiple platforms, so that just makes sense for them to spread those games to elsewhere.

They also hinted at Xbox revealing they're working on their new "Next Gen" console this holiday season (though it won't come out till next holiday at the earliest).

So....not too much has changed, and the internet overreacted (with the whole "The End of Xbox!!!" narrative that was occurring a week ago).

EDIT: Also, I should spell out that I feel "Minecraft" and "Call of Duty" still fall into the "too big, they HAVE to share them with other consoles" category.

Last edited:

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Well, the Nintendo Direct came today and revealed..."Hi-Fi Rush" is seemingly NOT coming to the Nintendo Switch.

Instead, in the Nintendo Direct, the big focus was on "Grounded" coming to the Switch....and they took a few seconds to toss in "Pentiment" was coming to the Switch as well.

Later on today, Sony Playstation released seperate annoucement videos, showing THEY are getting "Hi-Fi Rush" and "Sea of Thieves".

And truth be told, I have been wanting to play "Grounded" (before "Starfield", Grounded was my "I'll need to get an Xbox eventually" game). But I would've preferred to have "Grounded" on the PS5 and "Hi-Fi Rush" on the Switch. Strange times.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I heard Max is giving Scavengers Reign to Netflix. Maybe they'll do more with it over there than Max did.
My reaction that TeenNick is airing more cartoons than live-action.

Quoted for the truth!
PLuto LEGO now is airing LEGO Friends: Next Chapter. Disney channel former recently aired this before.
It bugs me how when you say Looney Tunes, most people jump to the 50's Chuck Jones shorts as the default. I'm not trying to throw shade at Jones; he was great and the 50s LTs were great, but the 40's shorts shouldn't be overlooked; they're that much better IMO.

Featured Posts