James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The world has enough Superheroes.

venommovie.jpg

Venom
Release Date: October 5, 2018 (October 4 advance screenings)
Studio: Sony Pictures, Columbia Pictures, Marvel Entertainment
Directors: Ruben Fleischer
MPAA Rating: PG -13 (for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action, and for language)
Screenwriters: Scott Rosenberg, Jeff Pinker, Kelly Marcel, Will Beall
Starring: Tom Hardy, Michelle Williams, Riz Ahmed
Runtime: 112 minutes

Plot Summary: The evolution story of Marvel’s most enigmatic, complex and badass character – Venom! Eddie Brock (Tom Hardy) is a broken man after he loses everything including his job and fiancée. Just when his life is at its lowest, he becomes host to an alien symbiote which results in extraordinary superpowers - transforming him into Venom. Will these powers be enough for this new lethal protector to defeat great evil forces, especially against the far stronger and more weaponized symbiote rival, Riot?

Discuss Venom right here!

Related Discussion:

-Venom Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)
-Spider-Man 3 Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Venom (2018) Ongoing Comic Talkback (Spoilers)
-Venom: Lethal Protector Classic Comic Talkback (Spoilers)
-Spider-Man/Venom: Maximum Carnage Classic Comic Talkback (Spoilers)
-Marvel's Spider-Man "Venom" Talkback (Spoilers)
-Ultimate Spider-Man "Venom" Talkback (Spoilers)
-The Spectacular Spider-Man "Nature versus Nurture" Talkback (Spoilers)
-Spider-Man Unlimited "One is the Loneliest Number" Talkback (Spoilers)
-Spider-Man: The Animated Series "Venom Returns"/"Carnage" Talkback (Spoilers)
-Spider-Man: The Animated Series "The Alien Costume" Talkback (Spoilers)
-Sony's Universe of Marvel Characters Movie News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Attachments

• venom2018movieposter.jpg
    venom2018movieposter.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 494

TargetmasterJoe

So...is this where we talk about Venom from now on?

Because the pre-release discussion thread is locked...:(

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
So...is this where we talk about Venom from now on?

Because the pre-release discussion thread is locked...:(
Yes, that's correct. And if a sequel gets greenlit, then a pre-release discussion thread will be made for that.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I guess I'm the first one here to see the film, eh?

So...this film's reception has been interesting, in that critics hate the movie, but many people in the general audience seem to actually enjoy it. Which group is correct?

Well. I see both sides of the equation. From a critical standpoint, it just isn't a very good or polished movie, especially compared to many modern CBMs. Tom Hardy gives such an animated performance that it's tempting to say he's overacting, but I liked him. But in comparison, everyone else here is underacting, creating a weird divide.

The script is full of clunky dialogue (fortunately, the "You work for an evil person" line was left on the cutting room floor), the first half of the film is almost boring, and the final fight is every anti-CGI person's worst nightmare. There are also a few silly scenes that might remind one of a certain scene from Transformers 2. Oh, and Sony once again has the final scene in the trailer.

And yet, I didn't hate it. Frankly, anyone saying that this film is Catwoman level are exaggerating. I've never seen them, but I suppose this film might be like the Sharknado films? Stupid, but fun if you accept it on that level?

The best part of the film is the chemistry and interactions between Eddie and Venom - which, unfortunately, doesn't happen until about halfway through the film, but still. All the genuine laughs in the film come from this odd bromance.

To sum it up, it definitely feels like an early 2000s CBM. It isn't particularly good, and the bets stuff in the film doesn't come in until the halfway mark. Still, it can be an entertaining film with the right mindset.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
I'm sure they'll figure something out. Eventually. At least they'll perhaps start doing things differently now instead of the same old.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Here's what the Blu-ray special features are.
Venom Mode: When selecting this mode the film will engage informative pop-ups throughout the film to provide insight on the movie’s relationship to the comics, and to reveal hidden references that even a seasoned Venom-fan may have missed!

Deleted & Extended Scenes: These deleted and extended scenes will give fans even more of the Venom action they loved in theaters!
Ride to Hospital – Eddie and Venom take a ride to the hospital.
Car Alarm – Let’s just say that Venom is not fond of car alarms.
San Quentin – Extended post-credits scene at San Quentin.

From Symbiote to Screen: A mini documentary about the history of Venom in comics and his journey to the big screen. Interviews with Avi Arad, Matt Tolmach, Ruben Fleischer, Oliver Scholl, and Director and Comic Fanboy Kevin Smith.

The Lethal Protector in Action: Go behind the scenes with the production crew and learn the secrets behind the awesome Motorcycle stunts, wire stunts, and drones.

Venom Vision: A look at how Ruben Fleischer came to the project, gathered his team, and made Venom a reality. Utilizes interviews from cast, crew, and producers as well as Fleischer himself.

Designing Venom: Designing and creating Venom meant a huge challenge for VFX artists; follow the amazing journey.

Symbiote Secrets: Blink and you may have missed it! Enjoy the hidden references throughout the film.

Eight Select Scenes Pre-Vis sequences: See the progression of the visual effects, storyboards and fight chorography compared to the finished film.

“Venom” by Eminem – Music Video
“Sunflower” by Post Malone, Swae Lee (From Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse)

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Sneak Peek: Meanwhile in another universe…

Spider-Man

I finally watched Venom over the holidays and while I enjoyed watching the movie it certainly isn’t a good movie by any stretch of the imagination. The special effects were shockingly weak and the story really didn’t work. But the movie is just so bad that it becomes good and that is mostly because of Tom Hardy’s go-for-broke gonzo performance. The only thing that really worked in this movie was Hardy and Brock’s relationship with Venom. I thought that was handled well and I like the take on it. I just wish that was part of a better movie with better special effects. I can see why this movie did so well though as Venom is really popular with teens and younger kids and this is a relatively harmless movie to take them to. At least the movie is pretty short and wraps up earlier than it feels it should. I do wish this movie was done more like ‘Upgrade’ though. And Woody Harrelson as Carnage? Really?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Venom

It was okay. Not good, and certainly not good enough to bust up the Marvel Cinematic Universe for. Sony needed its head examined for that idea. God bless Tom Holland.

The first three quarters of the picture were solid, but I think the ending is the thing that underwhelmed. It was just not great, especially compared with the conclusions Marvel Studios has been delivering. Riot wasn't all that hot as a villain either.

Astronaut John Jameson had a gruesome end at the beginning. No Moon Wolf for this continuity.

Carnage might make an interesting villain in the sequel however. What is it with Woody Harrelson and bad wigs in geek projects?

The Spider-Verse preview tag was weird though. I don't think a movie with an f bomb is the right place to tease a kids film. If Disney DOES buy out Sony's Marvel rights, that curse might make it impossible for the film to be shown on Disney +.

All right, but people who were underwhelmed by it were right. **1/2.

Deleted & Extended Scenes:

Some good ones. Overall: ***1/2.

Ride To The Hospital:

Probably should have kept the part about Eddie wanting to be a superhero as a kid. For the record, I like playing with automatic car windows too. ***1/2.

Car Alarm:

This must have been a last minute deletion. All of the Venom visual effects are complete. Funny. ****.

San Quentin Extended:

I got a weird feeling that some of this might have been trimmed as a censor note. Which makes me wonder how they can possibly make the next movie PG-13. Wade Williams was clever casting at the prison guard. Dude knows the role. ***1/2.

Select Scenes Pre-Vis:

Mostly these are CGI animatics. Overall: ***.

Carlton Dark Lab Test:

The final scene was gorier, but there was a lot more action in the Pre-Vis. ***.

Escape From The Life Foundation:

These were storyboards. ***.

Eddie's Check-Up:

The CGI humans in this are creepy. **1/2.

Eddie's Apartment Fight:

They changed some of Venom's dialogue from the pre-vis. ***.

Bike Chase:

Say what you will about the rest of the movie, but that was a cool sequence. *****.

Tower Climb:

Does whatever a Spider can. Venom wants uppies! ***1/2.

Lobby Fight:

All right. ***.

Dog Venom:

Was I the only one relieved Venom merely took over the dog and didn't actually eat it? ***1/2.

Music Videos:

Two videos. The Venom one sucks, but the Spider-Verse one is pretty good. Overall: **1/2.

Venom By Eminem:

Eminem sucks. *.

Sunflower By Post Malone and Swae Lee (Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse):

I like this one though. ****.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I don't know where to post this...
but Alvin and the Chipmunks movie is in development of Disney.

I guess Nick is officially done with this franchise for now.
Happy 20th Birthday to the Cartoon Network City Era!

Watching this clip from the Princess Power special "Princess Royal Wedding", where Queen Ryung & Queen Olivia get married, makes me glad that the show was picked up by a streaming service. If it was picked up by the Junior 3 (Disney Jr, Nick Jr , & PBS Kids), an episode like this either wouldn't be made or if it,would come when the show was went to a less available channel
Happy 20th anniversary to my favorite CN logo and CN City.
Today marks the 20th Year Anniversary of Cartoon Network's "City Era". This era ties with the "Powerhouse Era" as my favorite era through out the channel's history.

Featured Posts