Toonzone/Anime Superhero 2020 Battle of the Brackets- Disney vs Warner Bros

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Running a bit late this year, but better late than never....

Welcome to:

Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets" Tournament (2020 edition!):
Disney Vs. Warner Bros.!!

Welcome to the 7th Annual Toonzone "Battle of the Brackets" event! Done in the style of the NCAA basketball tournament, this event will pit 64 classic cartoon shows against each other in a battle to the death! (or something like that).

For the 1st year's main tournament thread, click here. (Theme: American Action Cartoons)
For the 1st year's tournament results, click here. (Winner: Batman the Animated Series)
For the 2nd year's tournament thread, click here. (Theme: Sci-Fi/Fantasy Animated Movies)
For the 2nd year's tournament results, click here. (Winner: Spirited Away)
For the 3rd year's tournament thread, click here. (Theme: Adult Swim 15th Year Anniversary)
For the 3rd year's tournament results, click here. (Winner: Full Metal Alchemist / FMA: Brotherhood)
For the 4th year's tournament thread, click here. (Theme: Toonami 20th Year Anniversary)
For the 4th year's tournament results, click here. (Winner: Dragon Ball Z)
For the 5th year's tournament thread, click here. (Theme: Best of the 90's Animated Shows)
For the 5th year's tournament results, click here. (Winner: Hey Arnold!)
For last year's tournament thread, click here. (Theme: Best of the 2000's Animated Shows)
For last year's tournament results, click here. (Winner: Justice League / Justice League Unlimited)

How it works:

There will be two threads a day, with battles (aka voting) lasting for 24 hours, one thread for the "Mouse" conference (aka "Disney), and one for the "Rabbit" conference (aka Warner Bros.). I will update the threads each night, listing that day's contenders. Voting is done by posting in the thread which of the two shows you support. Just one vote per forum member please, per day.

For current tournament standings, click here.

Is there a show missing from the tournament that you feel that was overlooked? Drop a line here, maybe that show will get in as a "Bonus" addition later on in the tournament!

And now for the actual tournament (voting) threads:

Round #1 of the "Mouse" Conference!
Round #1 of the "Rabbit" Conference!

Last edited by a moderator:

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Hey everyone, I'm stepping in for wonderfly here, although he'll be around to help out as well.

Why Disney vs Warner? Now's a pretty good time, as it's been 35 years since Disney's first animated programs, Gummi Bears and The Wuzzles, premiered, and 30 years since the Disney Afternoon aired. Similarly, Warner premiered its first animated program, Tiny Toon Adventures, 30 years ago, and the Kids WB! lineup 25 years ago. Arguably the most important animation studios of all time, their contributions are worth celebrating.

Also worth noting is that we won't be seeing Batman: The Animated Series or Justice League/JLU in these matches, as they're previous tournament winners. Everything else should be fair game, though!

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
I had wondered if these would take place this year and got slightly curious to not have seen wonderfly make them, but cool to see you're both involved with this. Thanks for the start-up! Nice enjoyable activity, which I myself will refer to as a sport this time, given the head-on matches, and for the lack of live sports.

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
It’s fitting. Both Disney and Warner Bros are the animation studios I have the most respect for.

Orange Mo

orangemo
Hard to decide but if it’s off classic cartoons hands down Warner Bros. If it’s modern cartoons likely Disney because Cartoon Network has some terrible modern stuff although there’s exceptions like Regular Show or Gumball, while Disney Channel has mostly good modern cartoons like Gravity Falls, Phineas and Ferb, Owl House, etc.

If it’s to overall I’ll give it to Warner Bros. They have good live action content too.

StorytellerMJ5

I'm happy this is back. I always enjoy it. This sounds like a good format for the tournament too. I love Disney and Warner Bros., so it should be fun.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Is there a show missing from the tournament that you feel that was overlooked? Drop a line here, maybe that show will get in as a "Bonus" addition later on in the tournament!
If I can drop some suggestions, I'd say Sofia The First, Elena Of Avalor, Muppet Babies 2018, and Guardians Of The Galaxy.

CNCN2014

Bit ironic we're putting Warner Bros. vs Disney since I'm pretty sure WB allowed some of their series (Superman TAS, Pinky and the Brain, Batman TAS) to air on Jetix.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Big thanks to Darklordavaitor, this was all his idea! "Real life" had kind of interfered and I didn't get any plans together in time back in March, for a tournament this year, but then our resident "Dark Lord" tossed out this "Warner Bros. vs. Disney" match up, and said he'd handle the majority of the duties, and it's all come together nicely!

I will be assisting him with running the tournament, but you know....with him handling most of the duties this time around, maybe I'll actually toss in my own votes this year!!

giphy.gif

creator

Would it be possible to create an individual thread and poll for each match? For example, Lilo and Stitch vs Big City Greens would have been the first thread.

Ideally: create the thread / poll, lock it after 24 hours, and send it to an archive so it doesn't clutter the forum.

Or even better, do four threads / polls at once and leave them open for two days each. That gives us more time to react and discuss and it won't change the total time of the tournament.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Would it be possible to create an individual thread and poll for each match? For example, Lilo and Stitch vs Big City Greens would have been the first thread.

Ideally: create the thread / poll, lock it after 24 hours, and send it to an archive so it doesn't clutter the forum.

Or even better, do four threads / polls at once and leave them open for two days each. That gives us more time to react and discuss and it won't change the total time of the tournament.

This is how we've been doing the tournament the last 6 years. It's worked pretty well. The way we do it now minimizes the number of threads cluttering up the forum.

Doing individual threads and then "sending it to an archive" would either mean a sub thread on the front page of the forum that would get cluttered, or merging them all into one thread (just like what we have now).

Still, thank you for the suggestions, and feel free to vote in the match-ups!

creator

This is how we've been doing the tournament the last 6 years. It's worked pretty well. The way we do it now minimizes the number of threads cluttering up the forum.

Doing individual threads and then "sending it to an archive" would either mean a sub thread on the front page of the forum that would get cluttered, or merging them all into one thread (just like what we have now).

Still, thank you for the suggestions, and feel free to vote in the match-ups!

Thanks, I appreciate your response.

My proposal would only add one more thread to each the Disney and Warner Bros. subforums at a time. After voting concludes the threads would be moved into a battle of the brackets archive subforum and new threads would be created for the next matches. I think it's a small compromise for better thread visibility, an extra day of discussion/voting, and a poll. At the very least I think modifying the thread titles to reflect the current match would be beneficial.

I apologize if I'm nitpicking too much. I love these types of tournaments and I appreciate the time and effort dedicated to them. I just wanted to point out that, as an outsider, the format is a bit confusing. Either way, I'll be participating when I can reasonably compare shows. It doesn't feel fair to vote for one show when I haven't seen the other show.

Thanks again.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
You know, this tournament has really hit the nostalgia button for me, so if you're wanting some insight into what made the Disney Afternoon so special, here's a review from the Nostalgia Critic:

EDIT: Well, since I posted his review of the Disney Afternoon, here's his review of "Fox Kids" (which aired a lot of the shows on the Warner Bros. side of the tournament):

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Oh wow, just realized Teen Titans beat Young Justice. I actually didn't expect that to occur.....

We're already up to the "Sweet Sixteen" round of the tournament. It's all going to go very fast, very quickly, from here on out!!

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
I don’t remember. Wasn’t Justice League or JL Unlimted part of the bracket?

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I don’t remember. Wasn’t Justice League or JL Unlimted part of the bracket?

Yes, what StorytellerMJ5 said. Also, be sure to check out the very first post in this thread above, to see all the winners of the previous tournaments!

Light Lucario

Staff member
Oh wow, just realized Teen Titans beat Young Justice. I actually didn't expect that to occur.....

It's a bit unexpected, but I think Teen Titans being an older and more nostalgic property gave it a noticeable edge. Young Justice is still popular and the reception towards Outsiders seemed relatively positive from what I've seen, but there's a reason why people still want a proper season six for Teen Titans after all these years.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Looking at the Boomerang Imaginary Rebrand pitch really makes me wish that we get this rebrand instead of what we got in 2015.

I was at my local Wal-Mart, and they had merchandise out for the new Garfield movie. There's a plush doll of Baby Garfield that meows, and you have to feed him a piece of lasagna or pizza.
I want to thank both Silverstar and Goldstar for their awesome posts and great presence in this forum. Love ya!
Hey, internet: You all owe Natasha Klein (creator of Primos) an apology. It doesn't matter if you want to watch the show or not. There was no logical reason to unleash that level of vitriol over just a few words, especially before the show has even aired. Now all of y'all line up and tell her you're sorry.

Featured Posts