The New Toonami Ratings Thread (now with more civility!)

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
It’s hard to see how we don’t get Dragon Ball Daima coming. The long running shonen in the back of the block have a solid place keeping up longtime fans through the first half of the block, but I can’t see Daima airing that late when it is a new DB series. They will probably end up airing the dub at midnight next year, or whenever it’s ready. Don’t forget Super and Kai Final Chapters took a long time before being dubbed. I believe Super took over a year before subs were even legally available on Crunchyroll…

Conttactt

It’s hard to see how we don’t get Dragon Ball Daima coming. The long running shonen in the back of the block have a solid place keeping up longtime fans through the first half of the block, but I can’t see Daima airing that late when it is a new DB series. They will probably end up airing the dub at midnight next year, or whenever it’s ready. Don’t forget Super and Kai Final Chapters took a long time before being dubbed. I believe Super took over a year before subs were even legally available on Crunchyroll…
At least Daima would be new. I don’t like it, but it would make sense as the lead show. What I do NOT want to see is Kai leaking out of its 2:30 quarantine zone.

I do kind of wonder if Daima will have steeper bidding competition now that Toriyama is dead. A month ago, I’d say Daima had a pretty clear shot coming here. But now I feel like other services will want to make a play for it. “Witness Toriyama’s final work, exclusively on XYZ!” And with how comfy Netflix has been getting with Toei, they are the ones I most expect.

Whatever the case, I don’t think that’s something to worry about this year. Daima was already slated for late in 2024, I’m sure they have at least had some small delays with everything going on. And as you said, it may take a bit to get the dub in motion as well.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
4/13/24:

Ninja Kamui: 178,000(0.07 P18-49)
Zom 100: 144,000(0.06 P18-49)
Lycoris Recoil: 142,000(0.07 P18-49)
One Piece: 130,000(0.06 P18-49)
Naruto Shippuden: 108,000(0.05 P18-49)

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
More of a normal week for Shippuden, after an unusually high 2 am hour last week. It is typical to see this kind of gradual drop over the night, though the biggest drop continues to be from Kamui to Zom100. Zom100 had a lower share for its timeslot than Lycoris, and barely higher viewer total overall. It seems to be doing okay, but never really managed to top Lycoris, including in its final week.

Conttactt

More of a normal week for Shippuden, after an unusually high 2 am hour last week. It is typical to see this kind of gradual drop over the night, though the biggest drop continues to be from Kamui to Zom100. Zom100 had a lower share for its timeslot than Lycoris, and barely higher viewer total overall. It seems to be doing okay, but never really managed to top Lycoris, including in its final week.
Yea I’m a little disappointed in the audience leaving Zom out to dry like this. It’s not doing terrible, but it’s slipping under later shows consistently. I figure going forward it won’t have the same issue with One Piece, but I just hate to see the rare times we get something that isn’t a cookie cutter shonen and the audience doesn’t show out for it.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
4/20/24:

Ninja Kamui: 173,000(0.09 P18-49)
Zom 100: 128,000(0.07 P18-49)
One Piece: 118,000(0.06 P18-49)
One Piece: 114,000(0.06 P18-49)
Naruto Shippuden: 104,000(0.06 P18-49)

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Is there a chance that we wouldn't have these weeks of marathons if Zom 100 didn't drop 45,000 viewers and .02 in the demo? Don't know why the Zom 100 exodus is a thing.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Maybe too much of a comedy about Japanese work culture for American audiences? Not really much serious action in the show, even compared to Lycoris Recoil which was half a slice of life about cute girls.

I feel like they would probably do a Kamui marathon in any case because they tend to air their originals at least twice and they may want to use 3 AM for IGPX season 2 rather than a weekly second run.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Maybe too much of a comedy about Japanese work culture for American audiences? Not really much serious action in the show, even compared to Lycoris Recoil which was half a slice of life about cute girls.

It kinda came out a decade too late as zombies aren't in like they were a decade ago. If Zom 100 came out in 2012 on Toonami's launch lineup, it probably would have been a mega hit. Comedy anime don't always do badly. Space Dandy was big. Next episode has Akira as a superhero judging by the next episode preview. That promises some action, albeit silly action. Will superhero Akira raise the ratings?

Conttactt

Is there a chance that we wouldn't have these weeks of marathons if Zom 100 didn't drop 45,000 viewers and .02 in the demo? Don't know why the Zom 100 exodus is a thing.
The marathons are obviously there so MHA has time to get dubbed and Superman isn’t running directly on top of Smiling Friends. If anything, these 3 weeks of delays will do even more harm to Zom.
It kinda came out a decade too late as zombies aren't in like they were a decade ago. If Zom 100 came out in 2012 on Toonami's launch lineup, it probably would have been a mega hit. Comedy anime don't always do badly. Space Dandy was big. Next episode has Akira as a superhero judging by the next episode preview. That promises some action, albeit silly action. Will superhero Akira raise the ratings?
This isn’t the shows fault. At release, Zom 100 was one of the hottest anime of all of 2023. People loved it. So its failure on Toonami lies elsewhere. Perhaps it’s extremely wide availability in comparison to other shows, or the reputation damage the show got after its production delays have still not worn off.

Looking at the numbers, I also think Ninja Kamui might be slightly inflated due to its resounding success. We have more people than normal dropping in for it, but they are an outlier audience with no interest in the rest of the night which makes the Zom drop look extra bad.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I do worry that Zom 100's ratings would give them the idea that double One Piece or Kai would get better ratings than non shonen. Lycoris Recoil did okay, and they seem to throw non shonen bones every so often despite them almost always tanking the ratings despite fan acclaim (Lupin, Gridman, Zom 100). They will hopefully continue to air non shonen despite the poor ratings.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
I've been away from the forum for a couple weeks, but here are the ratings for the past two weeks:

4/27/24:

Ninja Kamui: 185,000(0.10 P18-49)
Zom 100: 154,000(0.08 P18-49)
One Piece: 138,000(0.07 P18-49)
One Piece: 120,000(0.06 P18-49)
Naruto Shippuden: 104,000(0.05 P18-49)

5/4/24:

Ninja Kamui: 141,000(0.07 P18-49)
Zom 100: 132,000(0.06 P18-49)
One Piece: 119,000(0.05 P18-49)
One Piece: 120,000(0.06 P18-49)
Naruto Shippuden: 104,000(0.05 P18-49)

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
A little disappointing for the finale, but it does appear that Zom 100's retention is improving a little. Fine by me, that's a cute show so far.

aegisrawks

I really feel Jason De Marco should look into Joining Me TV Toons, the block on Me TV has higher ratings than Friends and Seinfeld which pretty much means they absolutely slaughter Toonami.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
I really feel Jason De Marco should look into Joining Me TV Toons, the block on Me TV has higher ratings than Friends and Seinfeld which pretty much means they absolutely slaughter Toonami.
Why? Me TV Toons has no plans or interest in adding more recent anime and he won't be able to work on projects like Ninja Kamui or his LOTR feature if he leaves Warner.

aegisrawks

Why? Me TV Toons has no plans or interest in adding more recent anime and he won't be able to work on projects like Ninja Kamui or his LOTR feature if he leaves Warner.
I didnt mean RECENT anime, I mean curate the anime content for Me TV. But you did give me my answer, that he would not be able to work on his Warner projects, so I thank you and shut up now.

Conttactt

A little disappointing for the finale, but it does appear that Zom 100's retention is improving a little. Fine by me, that's a cute show so far.
Either that or Ninja Kamui crashed so hard this week that the Zom dip wasn’t as noticeable.

It will be interesting to see how MAWS does now that its audience isn’t fractured between two timeslots. Most nights it was well over 200k for S1 on Thursdays, hopefully that energy can continue into S2 on Saturdays.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I like the Tralfaz blog (it’s a good source for information about classic cartoon even though I disagree with plenty of the writer’s (Yowp) opinions and sometimes feel like he’s a stereotypical boomer) but I’ve never really liked this post about A Cartoonist’s Nightmare: Special Appearance by Bob Clampett
Darn it I haven’t posted A Classic Toonzone Moment in a while, so here’s #4

At the TTTP on January 24, 2003, people discuss the unaired Toonheads episode, The Best of the Worst Cartoons Ever: Toonheads: The Worst Cartoons Ever
Shiloh Otter wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
what's really bad is that Butch Hartman isn't even the worst creator of a show I've ever dealt with online. Doug TenNapel, I'm looking at you.
I’m afraid I won’t live to see the release of the complete series DVD of Dexter’s Laboratory.
R.I.P. Kabosu. You will be remembered as one of the most well-known meme dogs.

Featured Posts