The New Toonami Ratings Thread (now with more civility!)

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
3/9/24:

Ninja Kamui 189,000(0.09 P18-49)
Demon Slayer: 160,000(0.07 P18-49)
Lycoris Recoil: 149,000(0.07 P18-49)
One Piece: 138,000(0.05 P18-49)
Naruto: Shippuden: 94,000(0.03 P18-49)

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Not bad other than Shippuden. The next month of childhood filler episodes are probably not going to be hits with the audience. Not much action, nice visuals but very slow episodes focusing on backstory we already know inside and out.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
3/16/24:

Ninja Kamui 186,000(0.08 P18-49)
Demon Slayer: 162,000(0.07 P18-49)
Lycoris Recoil: 131,000(0.06 P18-49)

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Despite Ninja Kamui appearing to have the lowest linear Toonami ratings ever, it seems to be dominating on Max, regularly appearing in the top 10. It seems like cartoons can have chart longevity if they aren't released on the Netflix binge model. I presume it's Max performance matters more than its inability to get 200K linear viewers. Would be interesting to know how many total viewers Ninja Kamui has on Max.

aegisrawks

I think these ratings are decent anyway, as long as its more than 150K its okay. But I am glad the media mix approach worked and it's the first original Toonamim show to actually succeed on streaming.
Despite Ninja Kamui appearing to have the lowest linear Toonami ratings ever, it seems to be dominating on Max, regularly appearing in the top 10. It seems like cartoons can have chart longevity if they aren't released on the Netflix binge model. I presume it's Max performance matters more than its inability to get 200K linear viewers. Would be interesting to know how many total viewers Ninja Kamui has on Max.

Moe

I think these ratings are decent anyway, as long as its more than 150K its okay. But I am glad the media mix approach worked and it's the first original Toonamim show to actually succeed on streaming.
Those numbers are more than enough for advertisers to sponsor and loss of advertisers don't occur until rating drop to around 50,000 or less like TeenNick, Discovery Family and Universal Kids.

Sport fans who are anime fans are still subscribe cable TV and it could change very much when studios launch linear service streaming to offer sport channels only at cheaper price, so sport + anime fans would see as economical to have this and Crunchyroll, rather than cable TV, satellite TV and online linear streaming like YouTube TV.

Cable TV is far enough away from fall into unprofitable territory that isn't felt until later this decade or next decade, depending on how fast are cord cutters.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
The numbers are comparable to how Demon Slayer and FLCL doing at midnight. Hovering around 200,000 isn’t the worst thing. I am concerned about the subbed airings though. Even with them airing at 1:30 instead of 3:00 we still didn’t get any ratings for it, so imagine they aren’t doing great… they would only be reported if the rerun was still a top performer.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
The numbers are comparable to how Demon Slayer and FLCL doing at midnight. Hovering around 200,000 isn’t the worst thing. I am concerned about the subbed airings though. Even with them airing at 1:30 instead of 3:00 we still didn’t get any ratings for it, so imagine they aren’t doing great… they would only be reported if the rerun was still a top performer.

To be fair, the subbed airings could be doing fine(along with DBZ Kai), it's just that cable rerun ratings are dominated by shows like The Big Bang Theory, the FOX animated shows on TBS, FXX and AS, AS originals like Rick & Morty and Friends.

Conttactt

This weeks rerun chart hasn’t dropped yet so there is still a slim chance Ninja Kamui made it this time around.

I think the blocks biggest issue is the huge gap between the 11:30 Rick and Morty and midnight. 11:30 is doing like 230-250k every week. Then Toonami starts and it crashes to 160-180k. I’d guess a big reason we are even in the 180k territory right now is because of Toriyama. Now that TOM has aired a message, curious viewers don’t need to stay. I shudder to think of what the numbers would look like if Ninja Kamui was not receiving generally favorable reviews across the board. It’s Max and other service performance is good for the show itself, but it sure isn’t making much of a case for Toonami’s value.

To be fair, the subbed airings could be doing fine(along with DBZ Kai), it's just that cable rerun ratings are dominated by shows like The Big Bang Theory, the FOX animated shows on TBS, FXX and AS, AS originals like Rick & Morty and Friends.
Most weeks, the lowest rated rerun on cable is between 0.02-0.03. So if they aren’t charting, we can safely assume the performed lower than 0.02-0.03. Which is pretty bad, but I don’t believe AS had very high expectations for the Ninja Kamui sub anyway. If the experiment was a dud, they simply won’t do it with any further originals. Not a huge loss for us.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Well, this would be the one week it would happen if at all… I recall there was a FLCL rerun several months back which was actually reported. I don’t know if anyone remembered the precise number but it may have been around 200,000. I doubt if Kamui subbed was doing anywhere near that even at 1:30. We will probably never know definitively how well IGPX, DBZ Kai or Kamui have done in recent reruns, but it’s safe to assume there are significant drops from prior shows.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
3/23/24:

Ninja Kamui 186,000(0.09 P18-49)
Demon Slayer: 157,000(0.08 P18-49)
Lycoris Recoil: 143,000(0.07 P18-49)
One Piece: 127,000(0.06 P18-49)
Naruto Shippuden: 121,000(0.05 P18-49)

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Pretty typical ratings. I’m glad to see that week with the 70,000 Shippuden viewers was an outlier and ratings are trending more toward the norm.

I hope Zom100 does well this weekend.

aegisrawks

These ratings are great. They are above average for the era we are in. I wonder if April 1 could lead to airing Toonami on Sundays. It may have a school day after it, but Sundays have ALWAYS done WAY BETTER for Adult Swim. And American Dad has supplanted Family Guys as the "Killer App" for Adult Swim. The ratings are great.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
These ratings are great. They are above average for the era we are in. I wonder if April 1 could lead to airing Toonami on Sundays.

I think the rumor mill has it that Smiling Friends is the subject of this year's April Fools. Don't think Adult Swim wants to air anime outside of Saturdays as no anime has ever lasted longer than about four or five months in a non Saturday slot.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Schedules show they are doing Smiling Friends for the April fools prank. Unless they’re trolling us and it’s something else entirely…

Does anyone know how Sundays do in ratings? Adult Swim used to always post ratings for Sunday during bumpers. They used to seem stronger than Saturdays, but they stopped doing this years ago. When there’s no new Rick and Morty, are the ratings comparable to weekdays?

They have a pretty weak schedule on Sunday currently, relying on reruns of cancelled stuff like Mama Named Me Sheriff and Hot Streets… more often than not they air premieres on Thursdays now instead, which makes me think Sunday isn’t as highly valued as it used to be.

Last edited:

Conttactt

These ratings are great. They are above average for the era we are in. I wonder if April 1 could lead to airing Toonami on Sundays. It may have a school day after it, but Sundays have ALWAYS done WAY BETTER for Adult Swim. And American Dad has supplanted Family Guys as the "Killer App" for Adult Swim. The ratings are great.
What? These numbers are passable, but I wouldn’t call them great, let alone imply they are good enough to talk about expanding the block to another day. Rick and Morty reruns that have been played over and over again get 60-80k more viewers on average than world premier Ninja Kamui. We aren’t in record low territory, but don’t oversell it.

Schedules show they are doing Smiling Friends for the April fools prank. Unless they’re trolling us and it’s something else entirely…

Does anyone know how Sundays do in ratings? Adult Swim used to always post ratings for Sunday during bumpers. They used to seem stronger than Saturdays, but they stopped doing this years ago. When there’s no new Rick and Morty, are the ratings comparable to weekdays?

They have a pretty weak schedule on Sunday currently, relying on reruns of cancelled stuff like Mama Named Me Sheriff and Hot Streets… more often than not they air premieres on Thursdays now instead, which makes me think Sunday isn’t as highly valued as it used to be.
All we know are the occasional Fox shows that manage to make the rerun top chart. AS used to take pride in their ratings and put them in bumps, it’s funny seeing how much effort they take trying to hide them these days.

Anyway, I think they were forced to abandon Sundays for premiers because Max demands the next day Friday, so Thursday became the new premier day whether they like it or not. They do try to preserve the old way though, Royal Crackers still airs its latest episode on Sundays.

aegisrawks

What? These numbers are passable, but I wouldn’t call them great, let alone imply they are good enough to talk about expanding the block to another day. Rick and Morty reruns that have been played over and over again get 60-80k more viewers on average than world premier Ninja Kamui. We aren’t in record low territory, but don’t oversell it.

All we know are the occasional Fox shows that manage to make the rerun top chart. AS used to take pride in their ratings and put them in bumps, it’s funny seeing how much effort they take trying to hide them these days.

Anyway, I think they were forced to abandon Sundays for premiers because Max demands the next day Friday, so Thursday became the new premier day whether they like it or not. They do try to preserve the old way though, Royal Crackers still airs its latest episode on Sundays.
For the era, what are supposed to be great ratings for you? This is as good as it gets, sure a 200k is a bit better but unrealistic in this era.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
For the era, what are supposed to be great ratings for you? This is as good as it gets, sure a 200k is a bit better but unrealistic in this era.

Well, ratings for anime on cable has always been lower than the comedy, which is why Toonami is kind of a quarantine zone to air anime independent of the rest of the block. The problem is that even if younger generations are more accepting of anime, those younger generations are not watching a late night cable block when you can watch on Crunchyroll on your own convenience. Amazing ratings would be the rare times when an anime has beat a comedy juggernaut, like the times when Dragonball Z/Super beat Family Guy. If an anime is to escape being confined to just Toonami quarantine, it would have to be like Dragonball, but even weekday Dragonball got yanked off the schedule within months.

aegisrawks

Well, ratings for anime on cable has always been lower than the comedy, which is why Toonami is kind of a quarantine zone to air anime independent of the rest of the block. The problem is that even if younger generations are more accepting of anime, those younger generations are not watching a late night cable block when you can watch on Crunchyroll on your own convenience. Amazing ratings would be the rare times when an anime has beat a comedy juggernaut, like the times when Dragonball Z/Super beat Family Guy. If an anime is to escape being confined to just Toonami quarantine, it would have to be like Dragonball, but even weekday Dragonball got yanked off the schedule within months.
Again, this is the sort of thinking that killed Nickelodeon, Promising series got killed when they didnt get the eleven million ICarly and Spongebob used to do. They kept on killing series no matter how well recieved they were and how many people watched MANY outdid Spongebob itself and did over one million viewers, but not, they didnt do 11 million so off to the gillotine. How To Rock did 4 million viewers but still not enough for Nick. Also, its ADULT SWIM. ADULT SWIM is for Adults, they literally do not give a damn about "The new generation." If they are adults and they are watching that's ENOUGH. They literally took cartoons off CN because they do not give a damn about the new generation.

So yeah, these are great, I will concede that they are not AWESOME ratings but these are great for the times we live in.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
ADULT SWIM is for Adults, they literally do not give a damn about "The new generation." If they are adults and they are watching that's ENOUGH. They literally took cartoons off CN because they do not give a damn about the new generation.

By the "new generation" I mean the people born in 2000 who are now about to turn 24. Those people have given up on cable and watch their anime on Crunchyroll. Toonami is kept alive by Millennial 90s/00s nostalgia. Even most of that generation is obviously cord cutting.

Again, this is the sort of thinking that killed Nickelodeon, Promising series got killed when they didnt get the eleven million ICarly and Spongebob used to do.

Adult Swim probably considers Rick and Morty and American Dad their "Spongebob" anime is never going to be cancelled, but anime would have to beat the comedy cartoons to get Sunday/weekday slots. That just isn't happening. Toonami does well, but Toonami still feels like a leper colony when anime isn't allowed to air outside of Toonami.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy Father's Day!
I swear to God, no one really hates Cartoon Cartoons/CN Studios library more than Warner Bros. Discovery do.
Ultraman Rising is the #6 movie on Netflix Worldwide.
Inside Out 2 is gonna be doing huge box office numbers.

Featured Posts