"Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (Animated)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 3 (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
The show hasn't been treated all that well since its second Season. I doubt the stuff with James Gunn would affect the cartoon that much, if at all. He wasn't even involved with the show. At best you could argue they're using his movies as inspiration for the characters, instead of the comics, but even so there are enough differences between the two projects. I think the hiatus has more to do with Disney XD trying to drag out the shows to last longer (airing only half a Season of each show per year) than anything else.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I think the hiatus has more to do with Disney XD trying to drag out the shows to last longer (airing only half a Season of each show per year) than anything else.

With three shows on air, I always felt that they could schedule the airing of episodes to the point where there was at least one new Marvel episode on air every week of the year if they wanted to. I don't think I'll ever understand the science of kids network programming.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
That would have been nice. Or like how they started out with the whole Marvel Universe block years ago, having premieres of 2 shows per week and alternating between their 3 series.

Looking back, it's kind of interesting but the first few episodes of Guardians actually premiered on Saturday nights at 9:30PM back in 2015. Though I think there must have been some re-runs in the schedule back then. It was later moved to Sunday mornings at 8:30AM in early 2016.

I presume when the show returns, it will keep its Saturday morning time-slot like the first half of Season 3. They'll probably still air 2 episodes per week.

TheLemsterPju

I don't know if anyone ever caught this, but I was rewatching season two and noticed this object that the Avengers returned to Earth with before being distracted by the Guardians was, unless I'm mistaken, never brought up again:

tumblr_pfdg8loufx1u7vukeo1_540.png

What is it? Did I miss something about it belong to the High Evolutionary, or was it a set up for a future plot point similar to the Symbiotes dragging Thanos into the Earth in the season one finale?

Frontier

Staff member
I don't know if anyone ever caught this, but I was rewatching season two and noticed this object that the Avengers returned to Earth with before being distracted by the Guardians was, unless I'm mistaken, never brought up again:

tumblr_pfdg8loufx1u7vukeo1_540.png

What is it? Did I miss something about it belong to the High Evolutionary, or was it a set up for a future plot point similar to the Symbiotes dragging Thanos into the Earth in the season one finale?
Setting that aside for a moment, was that crossover the last time Grant George played Ant-Man? I think it was after the Civil War arc in Ultron Revolution :confused:.

TheLemsterPju

Setting that aside for a moment, was that crossover the last time Grant George played Ant-Man? I think it was after the Civil War arc in Ultron Revolution:confused:.

Either that or his Hollywood episode in AA season three.

What about the wand?

EDIT: It looks a little bit like Odin's Thrudstok, but I'm not even sure if that's the case because we saw Odin again later in the season and it was never brought up. :(

EDIT2: Okay, I looked a few frames back in a wider angle. It's not a wand, it's a rod. A coloring error revealed an outline to prove that it's actually longer.

tumblr_pfdkck9n9z1u7vukeo1_540.png

What if it's the Cosmic Control Rod? What if the "Secret Invasion" involves Annihilus and his legion?

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
So, it's been almost 5 months since we've had a new episode (the longest gap for a midseason hiatus). I'm just going to go out on a limb and say that the show is cancelled, and they'll just announce it whenever the show comes back. I mean, we haven't had encores in months, which says quite a bit.

TheLemsterPju

So, it's been almost 5 months since we've had a new episode (the longest gap for a midseason hiatus). I'm just going to go out on a limb and say that the show is cancelled, and they'll just announce it whenever the show comes back. I mean, we haven't had encores in months, which says quite a bit.
We still got 13 episodes left that will air in the Spring. That may very well be the end, but who knows for sure?

TBH I'm 98.7% sure that the "secret invasion" arc will be an adaptation of the Annihilation storyline.
Just looking up the plot synopsis for that comic storyline fits perfectly with the show's loose ends. (Where's Ronan? Is he exiled from the Kree after the stunt he pulled in season one? Where's Nebula and Korath? All could be resolved by pulling straight from the comic's story!)

Frontier

Staff member
I think the writing's been on the wall ever since some crew (like the character designer) started to move on to other projects, plus the rumor of every Marvel cartoon ending on their current season.
We still got 13 episodes left that will air in the Spring. That may very well be the end, but who knows for sure?

TBH I'm 98.7% sure that the "secret invasion" arc will be an adaptation of the Annihilation storyline.
Just looking up the plot synopsis for that comic storyline fits perfectly with the show's loose ends. (Where's Ronan? Is he exiled from the Kree after the stunt he pulled in season one? Where's Nebula and Korath? All could be resolved by pulling straight from the comic's story!)
I think we're supposed to assume Ronan actually died when Thanos destroyed his ship. Nebula is the one who got away :ack:.

Nebula's already been addressed. She's currently leading the Ravagers and redeeming herself :).

Korath...I'm trying to remember, didn't he get blown up near the end of season 1? I thought he did :sweat:.

TheLemsterPju

I think we're supposed to assume Ronan actually died when Thanos destroyed his ship. Nebula is the one who got away :ack:.

Nebula's already been addressed. She's currently leading the Ravagers and redeeming herself :).

Korath...I'm trying to remember, didn't he get blown up near the end of season 1? I thought he did :sweat:.

I strongly doubt Ronan is dead when we've seen him survive his ship exploding a few times with his hammer projecting a force field around him.

I'm also aware of Nebula's return. In Annihilation, Ronan is on the run and looking for allies and turns to to Nebula and Korath (who in fact did not die in this show) for help.

The set up is there, if the writers want to go that direction. We still have 13 episodes left; 4 or 5 being that art style change thing but 8 or 9 episodes to tie up everything. :)

Last edited:

TheLemsterPju

In this article about Vanessa Marshall (she has more talents I didn't know she had), it mentions that the second half of season 3 will premiere in 2019.

https://www.tvovermind.com/entertainment-news/vanessa-marshall

Behind the Voice Actors awards aren't really much to brag about TBH.
Unless...do they actually send trophies to the actors/actresses?

The highly anticipated second half of season 3 will premiere in 2019.

I'd like to know where this mass of people are. Really. I'd love to meet them. :p
(*sigh* no one talks about this show.)

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I'd like to know where this mass of people are. Really. I'd love to meet them. :p
(*sigh* no one talks about this show.)
There are people who talk about the show outside of Toonzone. They're just not as vocal, kind of like what I mentioned on the Avengers Assemble part 9 page. On a lighter note, it's probably just a formality when announcing it.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Well, the Spring 2019 date for the rest of Season 3 was basically announced before in a couple of interviews (check back a few pages here - it was back in June I think). And it's pretty much what users here figured and were discussing since then.

Frontier

Staff member
In this article about Vanessa Marshall (she has more talents I didn't know she had), it mentions that the second half of season 3 will premiere in 2019.

https://www.tvovermind.com/entertainment-news/vanessa-marshall
Vanessa Marshall is a real gem :).

(I miss her as Black Widow...)
Well, the Spring 2019 date for the rest of Season 3 was basically announced before in a couple of interviews (check back a few pages here - it was back in June I think). And it's pretty much what users here figured and were discussing since then.
If Guardians is Spring 2019, I wonder if we'll get the rest of Marvel's Spider-Man season 2 before it unless we get a long swathe of Black Panther's Quest episodes into the New Year :confused:?

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
October 7th:
From Syfy Wire's coverage of the Marvel Animation Presents panel at NYCC:
The next season of Guardians of the Galaxy will be subtitled Mission Breakout. "The Collector finally gets his revenge on the Guardians and sends them to different dimensions, each of which will feature a different animation style," Lane revealed. A clip was shown in which Gamora lands in a fairy tale/Disney Princess type world complete with talking woodland critters who break out into a musical number (but may not be as cheerful as they appear).

It's nothing really new, though. I imagine it's the same stuff they previewed before, and presume it's still too early to announce an exact return date for the show.

October 13th:
A few more comments, via Comic Book Resources. Apparently the show is returning in May 2019.
Lane turned his attention to the Guardians of the Galaxy animated series. “The Collector finally, truly gets his revenge on the Guardians,” he revealed. The Collector will send each member of the team to a different dimension, all of which have unique animation styles. For instance, Gamora will end up in a Disney princess-like world.
In a clip from that scene, Gamora woke up in a homey cottage stuffed with beds surrounded by talking animals. She immediately demanded her blade so she could go find her friends. The animals, however, stalled her; they suggested she might be able to find it if she cleaned. Despite herself, she gave in and began to perform a few chores as the animals sang “The Whistling Song” — a song which, as Gamora points out, does not actually feature any whistling at all. As she was busy performing these menial tasks, the animals smuggled her sword away without her notice.
“The evil demon bunny is played by Tara Strong,” Lane shared. “This second half of the season premieres in May 2019. It’s a bizarre, crazy, fun adventure.”

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
May 2019? That's 13 months, and thus the longest hiatus within a season for a Marvel cartoon.

Frontier

Staff member
October 7th:
From Syfy Wire's coverage of the Marvel Animation Presents panel at NYCC:

It's nothing really new, though. I imagine it's the same stuff they previewed before, and presume it's still too early to announce an exact return date for the show.

October 13th:
A few more comments, via Comic Book Resources. Apparently the show is returning in May 2019.
"The Collector finally, truly gets his revenge on the Guardians,” he revealed. The Collector will send each member of the team to a different dimension, all of which have unique animation styles."

That kind of makes it sound like the Collector is more responsible for the Black Vortex arc then he actually is :sweat:.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
All the way in May? Yikes. I feel like there must be a reason for the long break, but I can't think of many.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Since it's May the Fourth, might as well post this bit of trivia:

DePatie–Freleng Enterprises- known for The Pink Panther, mid-60s Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies, many Dr. Seuss specials, The Bod Squad, and Time for Timer- handled the lightsaber effects for Episode IV.
I wonder if the new Dexter's Lab set will have Rude Removal on it. They were okay with putting The Whoopass Girls on the PPG set many years ago that they were advertising on Cartoon Network (albeit they muted every time it was said in the pilot). This set's clearly for adults.
They should file a lawsuit against MeTV Toons for stealing the classic cartoons away from Boomerang. Boomerang found the classic cartoons first.
Shiloh Otter wrote on LinusFan303's profile.
I will miss your use of Mouse as your pfp, but since your name is LinusFan303, having Linus as your pfp only makes sense.
I haven't seen a channel launch as promising as MeTV Toons since The Hub. Let's hope their similarities don't extend to fate.

Featured Posts