Is YouTube going downhill?

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
One of the problems with YouTube can be solved by repealing COPPA. I'm not sure how the other problems can be solved though.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
One of the problems with YouTube can be solved by repealing COPPA. I'm not sure how the other problems can be solved though.
I'm worried about how videos, some less than one minute in length, don't have the guts to be restored to YouTube.

ThePharaohZ

Bullies are major reason that led YouTube to remove the dislike buttons.

There is no dislike button in here for obvious reason.
Here's the thing though. Creators can still see the number of dislikes through Studio Analytics. The dislike count is just not publicized. Numerous YouTube faculty members from CEO Susan Wojcicki to Creator Liaison Matt Koval have stated that dislikes did not affect viewership in the slightest, but that point is actually an argument against the removal of the dislike count. We all know for a fact that YouTube highly values engagement and watch time (look no further than YouTube Shorts). The argument that the dislike counts removal wouldn't affect viewership anyway falls apart when you realize that disliking a video actually counts toward engagement. Bad publicity is still publicity. So if dislikes do not affect a video's engagement/viewership/watch time, what was the point of getting rid of it?

If bullying was the sole reason for taking away the count, one would think that they go after the comments first given how toxic the comment sections can be (although, they kind of already do that). Also, think about all the other issues that hurt smaller channels, such as demonetization, false copyright strikes, and YouTube's own algorithm which prevents smaller channels from gaining traction to name a few. Compared to those, dislikes don't even register and yet YouTube hasn't lifted a finger to solve those issues.

Moe

Here's the thing though. Creators can still see the number of dislikes through Studio Analytics. The dislike count is just not publicized. Numerous YouTube faculty members from CEO Susan Wojcicki to Creator Liaison Matt Koval have stated that dislikes did not affect viewership in the slightest, but that point is actually an argument against the removal of the dislike count. We all know for a fact that YouTube highly values engagement and watch time (look no further than YouTube Shorts). The argument that the dislike counts removal wouldn't affect viewership anyway falls apart when you realize that disliking a video actually counts toward engagement. Bad publicity is still publicity. So if dislikes do not affect a video's engagement/viewership/watch time, what was the point of getting rid of it?

If bullying was the sole reason for taking away the count, one would think that they go after the comments first given how toxic the comment sections can be (although, they kind of already do that). Also, think about all the other issues that hurt smaller channels, such as demonetization, false copyright strikes, and YouTube's own algorithm which prevents smaller channels from gaining traction to name a few. Compared to those, dislikes don't even register and yet YouTube hasn't lifted a finger to solve those issues.
Great information and I got it now.

Yes, comments in YouTube is awful and I don’t bother to comment there anymore.

I just deactivated Twitter yesterday after got tired of Elon Musk’s drama on media, so I would have to rely on this forum to receive an information after all.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts