I'm gonna try and convert a cartoon episode into a storybook.

HunterMon17

I am an elementary school librarian. I know a lot of cartoon episodes that are really good stories, and I'd love to share them with the students.

However, my job is about reading and writing, and I can't just show them a cartoon for the fun of it. So I thought, what if I converted the cartoon episode into a story book that I can read to the students?

The way I would do this is to take screenshots from the episode, paste them onto a Microsoft Word document or a Google Doc, and then write the text underneath the picture.

I'll mostly be focusing on episodes from cartoons that are no longer airing today, so that I don't have to worry about a kid having already seen it.

The first cartoon episode that I'm going to do this with is an episode of Xiaolin Showdown called "Night of the Sapphire Dragon." It's my favorite episode of Xiaolin Showdown, and it's a very engaging story.

When this is finished, I'll be reading it to preschool, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, and third grade. After that, I'll put a barcode sticker on it and log it into the computer so it can be checked out by the students.

What are some tips and suggestions for doing projects like this?

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
Sounds nice, but legally troublesome. Adapting a cartoon into a storybook would violate copyright laws, unless you got permission from the cartoon’s owner. You might be able to get away with it at home, but adding reading it to kids outside of your home or placing it in a library is risky.

(I’m not a lawyer; this is not meant as legal advise. Get a lawyer for real legal advise, etc.)

Dr.Pepper

I don’t think you could add a barcode and put it in the library. Like do you think someone could just slap a barcode on their fanfiction and hope someone checks it out?

HunterMon17

I don’t think you could add a barcode and put it in the library. Like do you think someone could just slap a barcode on their fanfiction and hope someone checks it out?
I have a sheet of school library barcode stickers for when we're adding a new book to the computer system.

Zorak Masaki

Why not hit ebay/amazon/used bookstores and find tie-in books based off of these cartoons (though I cant find any for Xialolin Showdown)?

HunterMon17

Why not hit ebay/amazon/used bookstores and find tie-in books based off of these cartoons (though I cant find any for Xialolin Showdown)?
For that exact reason. If there already is a tie in book, I'll get that instead. But since XS has none, this was the next best option. Also, this lets me tell stories from episodes that may not have been adapted into books.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Al Jean hoping The Simpsons makes it to 1000 episodes sounds more like a threat than a promise, especially with how Julie Kavner's voice has been sounding.
Veronica Taylor posted on Twitter that Rachael Lillis has been ill for a few months, and posted the link to a GoFundMe set up by Rachael's sister Laurie. I will post it here:

Here's an Intel Pentium MMX commercial featuring the voice of Casey Kasem, along with a certain disco hit song:

Boomerang might as well join Nicktoons and TeenNick now.

Featured Posts