I Learned Something Today

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
TIL that apparently Nikki Blonsky is a paranormal investigator?
tumblr_pfjlbpBCT81xab9vxo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_pfjlbpBCT81xab9vxo1_1280.jpg

Dsneybuf

Today I learned that Macaulay Culkin voiced Pikachu in Robot Chicken.
Somehow I went years without recognizing him.

I also learned that in each movie adaptation of Charlotte's Web, Fern was portrayed by whoever played Sally in the then-latest adaptation of The Cat in the Hat.

Last edited:

Chris

I am a DuMont production.
I learned that I live in the westernmost capital of the contiguous 48 states: Salem, Oregon.

Dsneybuf

I learned that the TV rights to several Rankin/Bass specials of the '70s and '80s have moved from Freeform to AMC.

twilicorn

Drummer Boy would be among them since I read on Cartoon Research (in a comment) that it was still showing on Freeform as late as last year, though edited.

Looney Tunes Fan

Moon Prism Power, Make Up!
Drummer Boy would be among them since I read on Cartoon Research (in a comment) that it was still showing on Freeform as late as last year, though edited.
The original Drummer Boy (and Santa Claus is Comin' To Town) is still on Freeform this year. Only the sequel is moving over to AMC, since that and the others on AMC this year are owned by Warner Bros., while the original and Santa Claus is Comin' To Town are owned by Dreamworks.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
The full name of the "America watcher" on the Belgian news is Björn Hunter Soenens. He lives in New York and his second name is Hunter... :sweat:
bo60irws0.png

His parents wanted to call him Gunther, but in Western Flanders, people can't tell the difference between G and H.

It's still better than "Lies Suckers" and "Joke Suckers". (also real Belgian names)

ToonJay723

Staff member
A lot of video games have anniversaries today.

Super Smash Bros Melee (2001, Japan)
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (2014, North America)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1991, Japan)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998, Japan)
Super Mario World (1990, Japan)
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (2003, Japan)
Super Mario 64 DS (2004, North America)
Super Mario 3D World (2013, Japan)
F-Zero (1990, Japan)
Pokemon Gold & Silver (1999, Japan)
Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire (2002, Japan)
Pokemon Colosseum (2003, Japan)
Pokemon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire (2014, worldwide)
Donkey Kong Country (1994, North America)
Donkey Kong Country Returns (2010, North America)
Resident Evil Zero (2002, Japan)
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (2013, Japan)
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (1992, Japan)
Sin & Punishment (2000, Japan)
Yoshi's Cookie (1992, Japan)

The Super Famicom and the Nintendo DS were also released this day in Japan and North America respectively.

OnThisDayInGaming (@OnThisDayGaming) | Twitter

EDIT:

I also learned that it took 3.5 weeks for a Foster's Home episode to be animated and composited.

Last edited:

JoeMabbon

Dreadful Child
I learned that there was a Woody Woodpecker film in 2017. It was live-action with a CGI Woody Woodpecker. I'm sorry.

twilicorn

It was made mainly for a foreign market where Woody was still popular, and was DTV in North America. I had to convince myself I didn't hallucinate the Wikipedia page for it.

twilicorn

I learned that cherry pits contain just a little bit of cyanide. You'd have to bite into two pits to die from it.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Today I learned there is one surviving Hot 'n Now in Sturgis, Michigan.

IMG_3286.jpg

In the mid-90s these places invaded Portland overnight, then vanished within a year. Their strategy and lone gimmick was to serve food as quickly as possible. This was stressed above all else, including the food being any good or the service being decent. I heard if you lingered in their drive through too long they'd yell at you -- gotta keep it moving!

TheMisterFree

Today I learned there is one surviving Hot 'n Now in Sturgis, Michigan.

View attachment 216332

In the mid-90s these places invaded Portland overnight, then vanished within a year. Their strategy and lone gimmick was to serve food as quickly as possible. This was stressed above all else, including the food being any good or the service being decent. I heard if you lingered in their drive through too long they'd yell at you -- gotta keep it moving!
I actually know a blogger who blogs about these "broken chains", Hot 'n Now's just one of them. He's tracked down this one. He recently wrote an article for a place called Tedium about his hobby.

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
When licensing a movie, music, or other piece of media, you neede to pay the work's owners & several unions/guilds/rights management groups. (Knew about paying the owners, but I thought they paid the guilds.)

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
I actually know a blogger who blogs about these "broken chains", Hot 'n Now's just one of them. He's tracked down this one. He recently wrote an article for a place called Tedium about his hobby.
Hey! He has an article on Ben Franklin's! Broken Chains: A Nickel Saved is a Dime Earned

There's on near me. Ours has a pharmacy, a fabric store, & a restaurant.

I can't find an article on V&S, the variety store chain Ben Franklin's bought from TrueValue before Ben Franklin's went bankrupt. I think there's still a few franchises around. And I can't find an article on Gibson's Discount Centers, a big chain of discount stores from the 70's. There's still one or two franchises left in Texas; the last corporate stores closed in 2002.

Still a cool site.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts