I Learned Something Today

Latest News & Videos

Dsneybuf

Sep 22, 2011
Ratings
www.youtube.com
Today I learned that Macaulay Culkin voiced Pikachu in Robot Chicken.
Somehow I went years without recognizing him.

I also learned that in each movie adaptation of Charlotte's Web, Fern was portrayed by whoever played Sally in the then-latest adaptation of The Cat in the Hat.

Last edited:

Looney Tunes Fan

Moon Prism Power, Make Up!
Jul 17, 2011
Ratings
Nickelodeon City, U.S.A.
Drummer Boy would be among them since I read on Cartoon Research (in a comment) that it was still showing on Freeform as late as last year, though edited.
The original Drummer Boy (and Santa Claus is Comin' To Town) is still on Freeform this year. Only the sequel is moving over to AMC, since that and the others on AMC this year are owned by Warner Bros., while the original and Santa Claus is Comin' To Town are owned by Dreamworks.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Ratings
3,708 69 1
Belgium
The full name of the "America watcher" on the Belgian news is Björn Hunter Soenens. He lives in New York and his second name is Hunter... :sweat:
bo60irws0.png

His parents wanted to call him Gunther, but in Western Flanders, people can't tell the difference between G and H.

It's still better than "Lies Suckers" and "Joke Suckers". (also real Belgian names)

ToonJay723

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Ratings
1,572 12
New York
A lot of video games have anniversaries today.

Super Smash Bros Melee (2001, Japan)
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (2014, North America)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1991, Japan)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998, Japan)
Super Mario World (1990, Japan)
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (2003, Japan)
Super Mario 64 DS (2004, North America)
Super Mario 3D World (2013, Japan)
F-Zero (1990, Japan)
Pokemon Gold & Silver (1999, Japan)
Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire (2002, Japan)
Pokemon Colosseum (2003, Japan)
Pokemon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire (2014, worldwide)
Donkey Kong Country (1994, North America)
Donkey Kong Country Returns (2010, North America)
Resident Evil Zero (2002, Japan)
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (2013, Japan)
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (1992, Japan)
Sin & Punishment (2000, Japan)
Yoshi's Cookie (1992, Japan)

The Super Famicom and the Nintendo DS were also released this day in Japan and North America respectively.

OnThisDayInGaming (@OnThisDayGaming) | Twitter

EDIT:

I also learned that it took 3.5 weeks for a Foster's Home episode to be animated and composited.

Last edited:

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Ratings
797 6
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
Today I learned there is one surviving Hot 'n Now in Sturgis, Michigan.

IMG_3286.jpg

In the mid-90s these places invaded Portland overnight, then vanished within a year. Their strategy and lone gimmick was to serve food as quickly as possible. This was stressed above all else, including the food being any good or the service being decent. I heard if you lingered in their drive through too long they'd yell at you -- gotta keep it moving!

Aug 21, 2010
Ratings
Great Meadows, NJ
Today I learned there is one surviving Hot 'n Now in Sturgis, Michigan.

View attachment 216332

In the mid-90s these places invaded Portland overnight, then vanished within a year. Their strategy and lone gimmick was to serve food as quickly as possible. This was stressed above all else, including the food being any good or the service being decent. I heard if you lingered in their drive through too long they'd yell at you -- gotta keep it moving!
I actually know a blogger who blogs about these "broken chains", Hot 'n Now's just one of them. He's tracked down this one. He recently wrote an article for a place called Tedium about his hobby.

Jun 5, 2017
Ratings
When licensing a movie, music, or other piece of media, you neede to pay the work's owners & several unions/guilds/rights management groups. (Knew about paying the owners, but I thought they paid the guilds.)

Jun 5, 2017
Ratings
I actually know a blogger who blogs about these "broken chains", Hot 'n Now's just one of them. He's tracked down this one. He recently wrote an article for a place called Tedium about his hobby.
Hey! He has an article on Ben Franklin's! Broken Chains: A Nickel Saved is a Dime Earned

There's on near me. Ours has a pharmacy, a fabric store, & a restaurant.

I can't find an article on V&S, the variety store chain Ben Franklin's bought from TrueValue before Ben Franklin's went bankrupt. I think there's still a few franchises around. And I can't find an article on Gibson's Discount Centers, a big chain of discount stores from the 70's. There's still one or two franchises left in Texas; the last corporate stores closed in 2002.

Still a cool site.