• Enter to win two tickets to Howl's Moving Castle. Details here.

I Learned Something Today

Latest News & Videos

pacman000

I learned theat Promotions Unlimited (Promot.com) went out of business last year. They bought the Ben Franklin's name & continued to license it after the original company went bust in the mid-90's. Don't know who owns it now...

Dsneybuf

I learned that the Closing Logo Group Wiki has started removing the comments about how scary or cheesy each logo looks/sounds.

pacman000

CineRama planned to develop their own single-film system: To Split or not to Split ... That is the Hollywood Question!

"Cinerama Inc. had been developing a new, single strip Cinerama process which exactly duplicated 3-Strip Cinerama on one film. The key to the new system was a revolutionary new lens and camera, the camera using 35mm film running horizontally, advanced 16 perforations per frame." (About twice as long as a VistaVision frame. VistaVision - Wikipedia)

Eventually, CineRama decided to use 70mm film instead of developing another process.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Since no one cares about Blu-Ray or DVD anymore, Sony and Gyros decided to use their technology for biochemistry.

You can inject fluid (f.i. blood) in special discs and them put them in a DVD player. To analyze the fluid, all the device needs to do is 1) rotate the disc, 2) put light on it, and 3) read the disc. That's exactly what DVD players are for.

DVDs and CDs are made by lasering 'yes' or 'no' into disks (0 and 1). These discs are made by lasering tiny holes into them.

j1vyvmd.png

(Centrifugal microfluidics)

Dsneybuf

I learned that Walt Disney's The Story of Menstruation entered the National Film Registry in 2015, ahead of several of his movies.

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
Truth or Consequences, NM, is the only city in America named after a game show.

In 1950, Ralph Edwards, host of the NBC radio quiz show Truth or Consequences, announced a contest where they would host the 10th anniversary episode in the first city that changed its name to "Truth or Consequences." The winning town was a small New Mexico community of less than 5,000 people originally named Hot Springs.

Edwards would visit that town once a year for the next fifty years.
I learned that the upcoming Disney+ movie Stargirl, starring Grace Vanderwaal and Giancarlo Esposito, was filmed at least partially in Truth or Consequences.

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
The following titles were considered for OK KO:

Lakewood Rumble

Super Lakewood Action Plaza (SLAP for short)

Knockout Friends

Radical Knockouts

PlayFighters

Turbo Friends Punch

Friend Fighters

Punch Buddies

Super Chuckle Sandwich

Action Sandwich

Knockout Club

Punch Buffet

Mighty Mall

Punchtown Heroes

Mini Maulers

Streets of Friendship

Rumble Pack

Dynamite Shop

Knockout Pals

pacman000

In the novel The Incredible Journey, Bodger, the bull terrier, was used for dog fighting. (If TV Tropes is right.)

Neither movie mentions that. Homeward Bound changes the characters' backgrounds (and breeds); the 60's version simply leaves it out.

twilicorn

The following titles were considered for OK KO:

Lakewood Rumble

Super Lakewood Action Plaza (SLAP for short)

Knockout Friends

Radical Knockouts

PlayFighters

Turbo Friends Punch

Friend Fighters

Punch Buddies

Super Chuckle Sandwich

Action Sandwich

Knockout Club

Punch Buffet

Mighty Mall

Punchtown Heroes

Mini Maulers

Streets of Friendship

Rumble Pack

Dynamite Shop

Knockout Pals
Wow that's a lot of titles!
I also learned this week the reason for Barbara Bush's signature white hair. It was originally reddish-brown but turned white from grief when the Bushs' three year old daughter died from cancer. There's a couple other cases of hair turning white from stress as well, chronicled in the newest Bathroom Reader.

Dsneybuf

I learned that if you Google the alternate title I use for the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, Wannabe Web-Head, most of the results concern a Black Friday bundle of a PS4 and the new Spider-Man game.

ToonJay723

Staff member
Not sure when this happened but Hulu added 43 new dubbed episodes of Naruto Shippuden. So there's a total of 140 dubbed episodes rather than 97.

Dsneybuf

Today I learned that a writer of The Lion King, Irene Mecchi, also wrote one of Nickelodeon's first TV shows, By the Way. (Greg shared a link to a recent upload of clips from it)

Last edited:

twilicorn

I also learned that John Krasinski was almost Starlord/Peter Quill. They cast Chris Pratt over him because he (Chris) was more muscular. And it wasn't even the first time he came close to being an MCU superhero. He got passed up for Captain America over Chris Evans, for the same reason.