[HELP]Info on Atom Smasher, kind of...

M

MrKrodicus

Long time lurker, yadda yadda

Anyway, I have a question for some of the brilliant DC animation experts on the Toon Zone forums. (you guys rock by the way)

I was talking to a friend the other day as I was thumbing thru the new issue of Wizard and one of the pages in the back had pictures of the new JLU toy line. Just for goofs (cause I knew he didn't know much about comics or cartoons) I asked him to name 5 of the characters. I expected him to get Superman, Batman, Flash, and Wonder Woman. I didn't think he could get one more (for the record the others were:Atom Smasher, Booster gold, Martian ManHunter, Aztec, Sinestro, Wild Cat, Wave Rider, Metamorpho, HawkGirl, Hawk, and Dove). Then he looked over the picture and pointed to Atom Smasher and said, "That's Atom Smasher." I was shocked. So I asked how he knew that. He said that he saw him on a cartoon a long time ago with (as he points to hawkgirl) that girl, I think her name is Vaylkire. I kept telling him he was mistaken, but he swears he's right. He said that Atom Smashers power was nuclear energy blasts(which makes me suspect) and he swears that he saw this cartoon. I've been watching super hero cartoons for over 30 years, and I have no idea what he was talking about.

Can anyone help?

Trevor Balena

Atom Smasher is actually the second costumed identity adopted by Al Rothstein. He was previously Nuklon, but took the name Atom Smasher in JSA #1 about six years ago.

So, unless our Atom Smasher bears a striking resemblance to another character that's also named Atom Smasher that has been around for a long time (and I know of no such character), then I don't see how your friend could have known about him. Unless he reads comics, that is, or caught "Task Force X", which so far has only aired here in Canada.

Unless... It could be that your friend is confusing Atom Smasher with the original Atom (who he does intentionally resemble), and your friend just got the name wrong...

Harley_Quinn

Honey, get mommy’s bazooka
Wow I always love all the great info. all the poster provide! Just thought I'd mention that....:D

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Since it's May the Fourth, might as well post this bit of trivia:

DePatie–Freleng Enterprises- known for The Pink Panther, mid-60s Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies, many Dr. Seuss specials, The Bod Squad, and Time for Timer- handled the lightsaber effects for Episode IV.
I wonder if the new Dexter's Lab set will have Rude Removal on it. They were okay with putting The Whoopass Girls on the PPG set many years ago that they were advertising on Cartoon Network (albeit they muted every time it was said in the pilot). This set's clearly for adults.
They should file a lawsuit against MeTV Toons for stealing the classic cartoons away from Boomerang. Boomerang found the classic cartoons first.
Shiloh Otter wrote on LinusFan303's profile.
I will miss your use of Mouse as your pfp, but since your name is LinusFan303, having Linus as your pfp only makes sense.
I haven't seen a channel launch as promising as MeTV Toons since The Hub. Let's hope their similarities don't extend to fate.

Featured Posts