Your Favorite Kevin Conroy Batman/Bruce Wayne Moments

ShadowStar

"Harley's Holiday" was originally intended to be the last Harley Quinn episode. It was towards the end of the initial order of 65, and the creators wanted to give Harley a happy ending of sorts.

Of course, then they got an order for another 20 episodes, so Harley's rehabilitation didn't stick.
Actually, "Harley's Holiday" wasn't one of the original 65. It was part of the second order of 20 episodes: The Adventures of Batman & Robin. It was one of the last of those 20. You might be confusing the second order of 20 with the later run of The New Batman Adventures (when, of course, Harley returned for stories like "Holiday Knights" and "Joker's Millions", not to mention the "World's Finest" three-parter in STAS).

I'll have to get my thoughts in order and think of some of my favourite moments that featured Kevin Conroy's Batman.

Three that immediately come to mind are from JL season 2:

"Maid of Honour Part II": "You're in my way."

"A Better World Part II": "They'd be so proud of you."

"Starcrossed Part III": "Gentlemen, it's been an honor".

Not to mention his pursuit of the kryptonite missile in "The Doomsday Sanction" in JLU!

Light Lucario

Staff member
I almost forgot about Batman's fight against Justice Lord Batman. Kevin Conroy was basically arguing with himself, but you could still tell which version of the character was talking since I think that he gave Justice Lord Batman a bit of a higher pitch. Or that might have been due to the yelling and arguing. Still, the line "They'd be so proud of you" really hits hard and you can tell how enraged it made Justice Lord Batman in return.

JonnyQuest037

DCAU Historian
Actually, "Harley's Holiday" wasn't one of the original 65. It was part of the second order of 20 episodes: The Adventures of Batman & Robin. It was one of the last of those 20. You might be confusing the second order of 20 with the later run of The New Batman Adventures (when, of course, Harley returned for stories like "Holiday Knights" and "Joker's Millions", not to mention the "World's Finest" three-parter in STAS).
You're right! Thanks for the correction. That's what I get for working from memory... :)

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I’ve long thought Mask of The Phantasm was his best performance (no small feat, he’s been as close to perfect as you can get for 30 years.)

Phantasm allowed him to show off his younger, more vulnerable side in the flashbacks, along with the bitter reunion and finally his heartbroken ending. His delivery of “But Andi, what will vengeance solve?” is just perfect.

Comedy, terror and straight bad ass, Conroy mastered Batman.

A great (literally great) many Batman have followed him, but Kevin will never be topped for me.

Does anyone have any stories about meeting him?

JonnyQuest037

DCAU Historian
Does anyone have any stories about meeting him?
Well, a big highlight for me will always be getting THIS in my inbox one day, after doing back and forth with Conroy's representatives for a bit to arrange an interview with him:

Kevin Conroy email 03.png

There's pretty much no way you CAN'T read that in the voice of Batman! :)

I got to meet him face to face at the New York Comic Con in 2018 and 2019, when he was promoting the BluRay releases of BTAS and Batman Beyond, and participated in the roundtable interviews with the cast and crew. And I got to moderate a panel with him and other BTAS cast members at the East Coast Comic Con in 2019 (linked in my signature below). He was great to talk to.

Ed Nygma

Well, a big highlight for me will always be getting THIS in my inbox one day, after doing back and forth with Conroy's representatives for a bit to arrange an interview with him:

View attachment 301442
There's pretty much no way you CAN'T read that in the voice of Batman! :)

I got to meet him face to face at the New York Comic Con in 2018 and 2019, when he was promoting the BluRay releases of BTAS and Batman Beyond, and participated in the roundtable interviews with the cast and crew. And I got to moderate a panel with him and other BTAS cast members at the East Coast Comic Con in 2019 (linked in my signature below). He was great to talk to.
John, if I may ask what's the status on the release date of your book/article you've mentioned on this board? If I understand correctly it's going to be an oral history on the inside track of BTAS?

JonnyQuest037

DCAU Historian
John, if I may ask what's the status on the release date of your book/article you've mentioned on this board?
Nothing new to report right now. This is a LONG term project. But when I have concrete news, I'll let you folks know and plug it here as many times as I'm allowed. :)
If I understand correctly it's going to be an oral history on the inside track of BTAS?
And STAS, Batman Beyond, the Justice League shows, as well as stuff about Static Shock and The Zeta Project.

...Do you see why it's a long term project now? ;)

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
I would like to echo everyone else here and say that Conroy knew how to sell even the most goofy or cheesiest of lines.

One moment that sticks out to me is when Batman said, ''I'm here to clean your clock, Fugate!'' in The Clock King. So silly, but he made it sound absolutely bad ass and for some reason it has stayed with me over the years. Other Batman VA's have tried to get that balance between silly/serious, but Conroy really, truly nailed it.

And of course, that wonderful moment in Batman Beyond's 'Dead Man's Hand':

TERRY: If you had any proof they were going to try something, it would be different! But I'm not going to change my plans because of a hunch.

BRUCE: Batman would.

TERRY: Hey! I put my life on the line all the time. One night is not going to make any difference.

BRUCE: One night ALWAYS makes the difference!

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I would like to echo everyone else here and say that Conroy knew how to sell even the most goofy or cheesiest of lines.

One moment that sticks out to me is when Batman said, ''I'm here to clean your clock, Fugate!'' in The Clock King. So silly, but he made it sound absolutely bad ass and for some reason it has stayed with me over the years. Other Batman VA's have tried to get that balance between silly/serious, but Conroy really, truly nailed it.

And of course, that wonderful moment in Batman Beyond's 'Dead Man's Hand':

TERRY: If you had any proof they were going to try something, it would be different! But I'm not going to change my plans because of a hunch.

BRUCE: Batman would.

TERRY: Hey! I put my life on the line all the time. One night is not going to make any difference.

BRUCE: One night ALWAYS makes the difference!
I have a similar favourite. “Peekaboo.” from See No Evil. Literally one of the most childish words in the English language and Conroy made it sound like the most bad ass line ever.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts