“Metalocalypse: The Army of The Doomstar” Talkback (spoilers) [8/22]

[classic swim]

SwimShady
“Those are my spiritual saviors you’re *RIFF*ing with.”

[Metalocalypse: Army of The Doomstar]

*Posted on freeforum temp boards in wake of release*

I was cheering all the way through. Like the last I saw of Metalocalypse, I was consistently shaking my fist in the air.

Doomstar Requiem was already sorta weening you off Dethklok having underlying protection behind them. Army of The Doomstar ends up taking that stance to unimaginable heights.

Dethklok needing to produce a song worthy of saving their planet... that was already enough as a final battle to leave you short of breath.

But no, this ended up not being about the music at all.

This movie in its entirety was poetically delivering selfless salvation in a series of death and destruction. Everyone fulfilled their purpose, and I saw resolutions from stuff I pondered on years ago.

General Crozier was vindicated at last, something I never thought I’d actually live to see. The military head who had been possessed and tortured throughout the series by the Half-Man; Crozier finally took control, got his vengeance, and saw Dethklok for who they really are. Working by their side.

Dick Knubbler, what a sacrifice. He lost his eyes to the Klok, in brutal, underground 2006 fashion. You grew to like him more and more as he really became part of the band. Having him help on their last journey stood for something, even if he was a drugged up jerknozzle.

Jomfru, another sacrifice. I recall Doomstar Requiem changing how I felt about Jomfru, and here he was more determined than ever. I laughed at him chucking the sandwich at Crozier’s head. Two former antagonists, though reluctant, setting everything right.

Murderface being controlled by Salacia brought forth a ton of implications, and was fortunately snapped out of it after the damage was done. Was a mild ten year cliffhanger from Doomstar Requiem that I’m glad they could fix.

Offdensen is still the hero. He didn’t get much time in the sun here as I wanted, and he took quite a beating. But when the time came, he lead the charge.

Which is another thing too, the FANS. When I saw Metalocalypse premiere way back when, the series opened with these (sorta) innocent characters getting their whole skin melted by Duncan Hills coffee.

You could always count on those guys getting annihilated with each Dethklok performance, right down to the end of the world. But when the band lost their Klokateers, the fans became the Klokateers.

Not all were fans. I mean, even Jean-Pierre made his way to battle! But the sentiment remains.

And even just having the fans possess the same power as Dethklok brought on the selfless nature of this film. Was tearjerking and set the ultimate mood for the series climax.

Small, Hamill, Blacha, all phenomenal as ever. But I’m also really glad Jon Schnepp received his proper memoriam in credits. If only he got to see this unfold!

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
What a brutal sendoff after an almost decade-long wait. Really full circle with Nathan and the band overcoming their ego and unhealthy relationships to find the song of salvation. And even Knubbler, Jonfru, and Crozier coming a long way to end up helping Dethklok save the world.

Murderface sucks to keep the band in balance. That's about right. :D

I was surprised Offdensen was hardly in it but his opening line during the final battle against Vater was a sweet callback to his bread and butter line when he fought the Assassin in the series.

The fans were the real army all along and prophecies often have a knack for being misinterpreted, even by the bad guys. Really cool to see the return of the whale prophet and she gave the finishing blow to Salacia in brutal fashion.

Like Venture Bros., really relieved Metalocalypse got a proper ending to wrap up things.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

R.I.P. Kabosu. You will be remembered as one of the most well-known meme dogs.
Oh! I got video of Chris doing "Two Princes".

Back from the gig now. That was really fun. Even if you're not into Spin Doctors, go see Chris Barron if he comes your way. He's a wonderful storyteller.
My reaction to PAW Patrol and Rubble & Crew airing on Nick on Saturday mornings:

Nick News short, from upcoming episode today youtube nickelodeon uploaded

Featured Posts