Disney bought 21st Century Fox for $71.3 billion in stock

jaylop97

Staff member
I can partially understand why the deal didn't go far, FX and Nat Geo aren't really big acquisitions for Disney, It wouldn't be very practical to only go for a deal for those two. Honestly, I did really like the sound of an acquisition but not one as minor as this one.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It's back on! Deadline reports the latest version of the deal is the Murdochs keep sports and news properties and the rest of TV and the film studio goes to Disney.

Dudley

Staff member
Still rather they own it than Comcast or Verizon. Whether net neutrality ends or not, it’s not good for a company that controls content to also have control over how it’s distributed. They can demand competing cable companies higher licensing fees. And if net neutrality ends, ISPs will prioritize their owner content for easier access while also putting everyone else’s behind a paywall.

Of course, Disney could always end up merging with a cable / ISP company....

Still, wow. I can’t wait to see what comes from the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
This probable Disney/Fox deal makes the most sense in terms of how close their Marvel characters are and owning some of the former's assets already, such as the Fox Kids/Fox Family/Saban children's library along with the Fox/ABC Family network that's now Freeform, along with the Marvel animated series not tied to other companies. They'll also take over everything on the Fox Network, similar to when they took over the Fox Kids block, essentially owning those hours and eventually bringing the Jetix brand upfront. But I wonder how are they going to handle a potential rebrand for Fox since 21st Century Fox may want to keep said name for their remaining assets if said deal goes through.

And what's to say that Disney wouldn't consider merging with a cable company one day.......

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Still, I wonder how would it affect FOX-branded television channels outside of the USA and even FOXTEL in Australia.

This would benefit the Portuguese Disney channels since FOX has had fully-local channels for a few years now.

Dudley

Staff member
As much as I hate monopolies, I would be okay with this.

What counts as a monopoly, though? Five companies in the US run 90% of the media we consume. The acquisition is not for the entire company, so in the end Disney would end up being around the size of Comcast, each managing around 30% of the nation’s media.
A monopoly would be 50% or more.

Also, it should be noted that some foreign countries have their own anti-trust laws. If the deal goes through, Disney might have to sell some of FOX’s channels overseas, or maybe even give up its stake in Sky.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
In Portugal we have the following channels:

FOX:
-FOX
-FOX Life
-FOX Crime
-FOX Comedy
-FOX Movies
-24Kitchen
-National Geographic Channel
-Nat Geo Wild
-BabyTV

Disney:
-Disney Channel
-Disney XD

Not on the list are FOX News and SKY News. Angola and Mozambique also have FOX Sports Africa which will remain a FOX channel. Here in Portugal, FOX is a leader in the entertainment sector and eight out of ten of the most-watched shows air on their channels, particularly their main channel. Here in Europe, FOX isn't a terrestrial channel, so some changes will be made. BabyTV would be incorporated into Disney's portfolio and the possibility of launching a localized Disney XD here in Portugal might grow if the deal is made.

In Korea, this is technically impossible since both companies don't directly intervene in the television business. FOX, FOX Life and FX are owned by local company Tcast and the two Disney channels are owned by SK Telecom.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
I for one think the world would be a much better place if Fox didn't have there own news station, but hey that's just me.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
There would also be the hypothesis of upgrading Disney Channel here to HD if they had the resources. FOX PT's localized channels all have HD feeds.

Dudley

Staff member
I for one think the world would be a much better place if Fox didn't have there own news station, but hey that's just me.

Neither does Disney. Beyond running ABC News, they too don’t run a news cable channel. I always figured Disney would want one with this deal, but then again, it is Fox News...

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
They could try making an ABC News channel (there is/was an ABC News Now but at one point it quit television completely). FOX should stay with its news channel as already announced in the deal attempts.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
Neither does Disney. Beyond running ABC News, they too don’t run a news cable channel. I always figured Disney would want one with this deal, but then again, it is Fox News...

It's Murdoch's baby, it may be more Rosemary's Baby than any regular baby but it's still his child and I doubt he'd give it up.

animegamer

Disney would have a huge sports network in India if they get STAR channels. They might call it Disney Star Sports like Sony Ten Sports.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Disney would have a huge sports network in India if they get STAR channels. They might call it Disney Star Sports like Sony Ten Sports.
Ironically there used to be an ESPN Star Sports. Star Sports isn't FOX Sports, so I don't think this would equate in the broadcasting laws of India since Disney doesn't want to acquire sports channels to turn them into ESPN channels. In the USA, at least, FOX Sports will remain owned by FOX. This is in order to avoid merging with ESPN.

animegamer

let me predict the star names if it happens.

Disney Star Plus
Disney Star World
Disney Star Movies
Disney Star Gold
Disney National Geographic
Disney Fox Life
Disney Star Bharat

Just like Sony ESPN, Sony BBC Earth and History TV18!

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
let me predict the star names if it happens.

Disney Star Plus
Disney Star World
Disney Star Movies
Disney Star Gold
Disney National Geographic
Disney Fox Life
Disney Star Bharat

Just like Sony ESPN, Sony BBC Earth and History TV18!
More or less like that. The channel portfolio over here will probably look like this:
Disney Channel
Disney Junior
Disney XD
BabyTV
FOX
FOX Life
FOX Crime
FOX Comedy
FOX Movies
National Geographic Channel
Nat Geo Wild

I trust that it would also benefit the FOX Movies channels in South East Asia since they show Disney films regularly.

Dudley

Staff member
Actually, maybe they should keep the Star name as is, and just rename all the Fox stuff Star instead. That way people will know what’s still owned by Fox (since I’m sure Disney would be expected to pay royalties to use the Fox brand), and what’s now owned by Disney. The FX networks could be rebranded Star TV in the States.
Alternatively, Disney’s not doing much with the Touchstone brand. 20th Century Fox can be renamed Touchstone Pictures. All Disney owned Fox branded stuff in the States can be renamed Touchstone as well.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

did I just get threatened by breakfast cereal
I’ve come to a realization. With Superman, Unicorn, Checkered Past, and now Invincible Fight Girl, Adult Swim is straying away from their mission of being adult-only animation, one that’s even in their NAME, to get more advertisers.

The exact reason why CN Real existed.
I REALLY HOPE Adult Swim puts an episode of American Dad before Sailor Moon on Toonami Rewind, CN's shows are NOT CAPABLE giving ratings by their sheer popularity.

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.

Featured Posts