"DC Super Hero Girls" (Television Series) News & Discussion, Part 4 (Spoilers)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

dcsuperherogirlsTVartmay212018.jpg

Details at The World's Finest

Warner Bros. Animation has kicked off production on DC Super Hero Girls, which follows not-so-typical teenagers Diana, Kara and Barbara. Alongside their superhero friends, they have much more to deal with than just protecting the citizens of Metropolis from some of the most sinister schoolage supervillains of the DC Universe.
The action-comedy series continues with producer Amanda Rynda (Loud House, Kid Cosmic) is set to continue this year on Cartoon Network. Sam Register (Teen Titans Go!, Justice League Action) serves as executive producer.
From the network: Gal pals Bumblebee, Zatanna and Green Lantern Jessica Cruz are always there to lend an ear, a shoulder to cry on and a fist to punch with, and their bros in the Justice League amp up the fun whether they’re at a concert or taking down a crime ring. But what happens when Diana and her favorite study buddy and fencing partner, Tatsu, can’t agree on how to dole out justice as Wonder Woman and Katana? Or when Barbara finds out her Gotham-Con bestie is teen-fiend Harley Quinn? Along with all their friends, foes and frenemies, this squad of super teens navigates the unique growing pains that come when you’re a teenager trying to fight the battles of the world and the battles of growing up at the same time.

Links: Super Shorts Talkback, Part 1 News Thread, Part 2 News Thread, Season 1 Talkback, Digital Comic Talkback, Graphic Novel Talkback, Giant #1 Talkback, Giant #2 Talkback, Soundtrack Talkback, Teen Power Video Game Talkback,

Continuing from the previous thread,
Here are some early designs for what Barbara and Kara look like in their civilian outfits.

Last Spider

Arachnid Dude
As I said last thread you can really see how close these designs are to the original Super Best Friends Forever shorts.
Like if you weren't convinced this show was basically a reboot of them, these confirm it.

Frontier

Staff member
Here are some more early designs.

Interesting differences from the final product:

- Zatanna was going to have normal hair in her civilian identity, her normal dark brunette locks from the comics, and was only purple in her hero form with a rendition of her classic look instead of the Ivan Reis design they went with.

- The girls' costumes were leaning more towards civvie spandex rathre than full-on costumes like we ended up with, other than Wonder Woman who had the classic leotard instead of the Battle Skirt.

- Diana with glasses :p.

Frontier

Staff member
There's no concept art, but it seems like Catwoman would have still been white had merchandise people not stepped in.

Huh, that's interesting...especially that it came from the merchandiser and not from the actual show creators. I guess maybe they wanted more diverse merchandise or they understood there'd be better marketing with a more diverse cast o_O?

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
Huh, that's interesting...especially that it came from the merchandiser and not from the actual show creators. I guess maybe they wanted more diverse merchandise or they understood there'd be better marketing with a more diverse cast o_O?
The way she phrased it, it seems more like the creative crew wanted her to be Black, DC/WB or another entity said no, and the toy team came in to support the creative crew's decision to make her Black.

Frontier

Staff member
It's kind of an interesting contrast with the original DC Super Hero Girls where there was more emphasis on practical costumes or outfits that could pass for normal clothes, and that seemingly reaching the target audience, whereas with this iteration girls are more into traditional costumes :).

Zatanna probably had the most dramatic fashion sense change of the cast...

Harley16

Hi it’s been a long time since I actually posted here but I had a few thoughts about this show since I like it . I know there’s been talk about weather it’s going to end or not and I understand why . However there’s a few things I’ve been wondering since with the Discovery merger I wonder if they’ll not exactly cancel but rework the show .

I can see it ending because of Sullivan leaving but at the same time that might be a actress leaving and with the recent Mayhem in the Multiverse film they can always write in the “ Supergirls voice changed due to the multiverse “ . So it’s hard to really say the shows done based on that since no other actress has said anything .

With Faust showing off concept art it could mean the show is also done . However she mentions the toy / merchandise team I think . Which makes me think this could mean that Mattel’s contract is done maybe ? Makes sense as they (WB) renewed the contract in 2019 . That seems to mean the original 2016 version had a contract of 2016 - 2019 so a 3 year deal . With 2019 I guess that contract would be up now 2022 or by 2023 and since Mattel showed toys that never got produced a few years ago I’d say Mattel’s contract possibly ended ?

Now the shows good I really enjoy it but I have to say the animation is a higher quality and has got to be more expensive than Teen Titans go! . So I would not keep doing 52 episode seasons . It’s nice but without toy sales and the way Cartoon Network airs this show ....it’s not going to be good which is a shame .

My dream for this show is to continue but I think maybe instead of a season of 52 / 11 minute episodes (which sounds like they might’ve cut down a few)
I think doing what a lot of CN older shows did would be better which my suggestion is 13/ 22 minute episodes . I’d also like to see a new toy line done by maybe Spinmaster , along with funkos , and more consumer products but for kids and adults not just kids . I think that would really help the show along with it maybe airing new episodes on HBO Max after they air on CN . I’m curious tough as to what others might think about that and a less episode count .

Also anyone else find it strange they have a deal with netflix but Season 2 episodes have never gone to Netflix ? Maybe its moving to HBO Max soon ?

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
Also anyone else find it strange they have a deal with netflix but Season 2 episodes have never gone to Netflix ? Maybe its moving to HBO Max soon ?
I don't know what kind of deal they have (one season or entire series), but it wouldn't surprise me if WB wants the series for HBO Max, especially if it's done well on Netflix.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

They should file a lawsuit against MeTV Toons for stealing the classic cartoons away from Boomerang. Boomerang found the classic cartoons first.
Shiloh Otter wrote on LinusFan303's profile.
I will miss your use of Mouse as your pfp, but since your name is LinusFan303, having Linus as your pfp only makes sense.
I haven't seen a channel launch as promising as MeTV Toons since The Hub. Let's hope their similarities don't extend to fate.
Happy 8th Anniversary to the Loud House! I still enjoy the show, mostly.
I don't care what anyone says, The Super Friends version of the origin of Batman was pretty effective for 1980s Saturday morning TV. Plus, Alfred telling young Bruce Wayne it's time to go when visiting his parents' graves just tugs at the heartstrings.

Featured Posts