"DC Super Hero Girls" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this Show!

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 2 22.2%

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Check out the new DC Super Hero Girls TV Series! Premieres today on Cartoon Network, with an hour long movie starting at 6pm ET/PT! New episodes will premiere on Sundays at 4pm ET/PT, starting March 17th.

dcsuperherogirlsTVartmay212018.jpg

Synopsis: DC Super Hero Girls is an all-new animated action-comedy series from Warner Bros. Animation and based on characters from DC. Featuring fresh character designs and storytelling from Emmy® Award–winning producer Lauren Faust (Super Best Friends Forever, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends).

The world may know them as Wonder Woman, Supergirl and Batgirl, but not-so-typical teenagers Diana, Kara and Barbara, alongside their Super Hero friends have much more to deal with than just protecting the citizens of Metropolis from some of the most sinister school-aged Super-Villains of the DC Universe. After all, being teens is tough enough, what with school, friends, family and the chaos that comes with managing a social life. But add super powers and a secret identity to the mix, and things can get a lot more complicated.

DC Super Hero Girls stars the voices of Tara Strong (Teen Titans Go!) as Batgirl, Grey Griffin (Unikitty!) as Wonder Woman, Kari Wahlgren (Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz) as Zatanna, Nicole Sullivan (MADtv) as Supergirl, Kimberly Brooks (Voltron) as Bumblebee and Myrna Velasco (Elena of Avalor) as Green Lantern Jessica Cruz.

Lauren Faust is executive producer with Sam Register (Teen Titans Go!) also serving as executive producer.

DC Super Hero Girls “#SweetJustice”
Episode Debut - March 8th, 2019

When six ordinary girls meet and discover that they each have extraordinary powers, they decide to join forces to take on one of Metropolis’s most sinister villains.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Other relevant links:
"DC Super Hero Girls" (Television Series) News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers) Part 1 - Part 2
"DC Super Hero Girls: Super Shorts" Talkback (Spoilers)
The DC Super Hero Girls YouTube channel

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
Saw the episode and thought it was alright not much to say but it feels like a paint by the numbers superhero show which isn't bad but I need a little more in my animated series. Also I don't care for the hyperactive Batgirl thought she was too Pinkie Pie

Also can't wait for the episode where Cyborg joins the Super Hero Girls

Last edited:

atomicbattery

I was shocked by how good this was. Pilot eps just usually have to lay down so much exposition that they feel more like an exercise. Characters were sketched cleverly and with great economy. I laughed out loud several times. I mean, Supergirl was arm wrestling an Amazon. Looks gorgeous, even the score was great.
I was just dazzled by it.

zoombie

It was great, it is different from the original, so I can't really compare, it is its own thing, and I respect that.

I don't know who my favorite is, I like them all, and I like Barbara more than I did in the shorts, so I guess a TV series length compared to a 3 minute short makes the difference.

Interesting that Barbara is friends with Harley Quinn, I can't wait till she shows up, if they find out their secret identity , will that friendship survive. It does show while she is not a good guy like in the original, Harley is likable enough and not just evil.

And the whole plot here, anyone get a KND vibe here, except the teenagers are the good guys and the kids are the villains.

Lonestarr

Stop eating my sesame cake!
Staff member
I know that this is just the first episode and it is a rare thing for the first episode of an animated series to hit it out of the park. Even so, remember when "Teen Titans Go!" came out and people were like 'What's this nonsense? Why can't it be more like the DC Nation shorts?' Well - for the moment, anyway - now we have two shows we can say that about.

Also I don't care for the hyperactive Batgirl thought she was too Pinkie Pie.

Yeah, the whole 'let's have Tara chug three bags of sugar before recording her lines' approach wasn't working for me, either. The transparent lifting of the MLP formula was a serious distraction, no more so than with Flutterbee...Bumbleshy...you know who I mean.

And oh, a super annoying bratty villain. Yay.

Really hoping things get better from here.

P.S. One of the Amazons grabbed Batgirl by the ears on her costume and she yelled like it was her actual ear being grabbed, because comedy?

Funkatron

Someone in the staff loves swol women... first Supergirl then some of the actual Amazons including Hypolita. I did love how Supergirl ended up arm wrestling one of them on the boat.

A little by the books story for the pilot but so far so good. So much more lively than the previous version of DCSHG. Loved all the voices, loved the animation and I don't mind PinkieBabs at all

Radical

Banned
SweetJustice was awesome/enjoyable,

The theme song is awesome!!!!!

Cool seeing Commissioner Gordon, best father, him/Barbera's father/daughter relationship the best.

Both Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Supergirl, Zatanna, Jessica(Green Lantern), and Bumblebee, awesome/likable/enjoyable, love them, Batgirl hyperactive was funny like Pinkie Pie/Izzy and this version of Supergirl a rude jerkette/punk with a heart of gold, love it:D.Wonder Woman the best leader for them was great.

A shame Amethyst not with the DC Superheroine Girls crew, maybe next future new DC series.

Cool seeing the Flash/Barry Allen and Green Lantern/Hal Jordan.

The animation like 6teen and the action like Batman: The Brave And The Bold/Codename: Kids Next Door is awesome.

Queen Hippolyta and the Amazons, my favorite best unlikable DC villainesses/biggest awful jerkettes, love their portrayal in the show:D.

Cool seeing Harley, Harley being Batgirl's friend was cool:anime:, I'll enjoy more Harley further episodes.

Batgirl/Supergirl/Zatanna/Jessica/Bumblebee vs. the Amazons was sweet/funny.

Batgirl getting the DC Superheroine Girls Team together was sweet, I'm glad they are together.

Wonder Woman standing up/roasting Queen Hippolyta was awesome/satisfying, go Wonder Woman, best children standing up to terrible parents always the best moments.

Lena Luthor, my favorite best bratty DC supervillainess, her/Lex being siblings was sweet/funny, and her evil plan was great/funny:D.

Wonder Woman/Batgirl/Supergirl/Zatanna/Jessica/Bumblebee vs. Lena and her robots was sweet, my poor Lena's loss, I'll enjoy her return.

Cool seeing Lex, best entertaining version of him.

Their new base is awesome, great ending, I'll enjoy the next great episodes.

The DC Super Hero Girls reboot series, my next favorite epic new DC series/"girl power" series, loved the original DC Super Hero Girls series/shorts, and cool seeing another DC comedy series after Teen Titans Go!:D.

Both Grey Griffin, Tara Strong, Nicole Sullivan, Kari Wahlgren, Kimberly Brooks, Myrna Velasco, Cree Summer, Cassandra Morris, and Will Friedle were awesome in the roles of Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Supergirl, Bumblebee, Zatanna, Jessica(Green Lantern), Lex, Lena, and Queen Hippolyta.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
I really enjoyed the premier. This is definitely a very different beast from the original DCSHG, even if it shares similar themes of female friendship, empowerment, diversity, and heroism, but it has a lot of style, action, humor, and heart that's a lot of fun to watch in action. Really looking forward to seeing more from this show :D.

It also has a rockin' theme song, on-top of the other vocal tracks :cool:.

Will Friedle as Lex Luthor? That's sure out-of-the-box. I guess he got bored playing just Bat characters and wanted to try his hand at someone from Superman's world. It's nice to hear him in a DC cartoon again :).

I wonder if there's a story to Jim Gordon leaving Gotham and what Gotham is like without him...and was Batman okay with him leaving? Is Batman doing okay without him? I just imagine Batman acting like they had a bad breakup he's still not over :p.

Man, if you thought Justice League Action Wonder Woman had a lot of personality, wait until you see this version. Loud and proud without much common sense when it comes to the conventions of Man's World, this new version of Diana is a force of nature for good and sisterhood, on-top of just being kind of funny. And Grey Griffin captures her heroism and quirkiness perfectly :anime:.

Jessica Cruz has traded in her anxiety for pacifism and social causes. I'm not against any of that in theory, but I think they run the fine-line between making it an interesting part of Jessica's character and making her come off as kind of obnoxious because of it. Myrn Velasco embodies those characteristics quite well. Her constructs all looked pretty cool though :cool:.

Bumblebee is adorable. She feels like she got all of Jessica's anxiety issues, but I guess it fits a character who shrinks herself to be a shrinking violet who's awkward and endearing. Kimberyly Brooks also delivers a very appropriate and unique performance as Karen. And of course she got the cool hero moment at the end. Can't wait to finally see her in her proper suit in future episodes :)!

They really emphasized Zatanna's dazzling personality and performer aspect pretty well in this interpretation, and Kari Wahlgren is as charming and delightful as ever as the Mistress of Magic. It'll take some getting used to thinking of her nickname as apparently her real name in this continuity though :confused:.

And don't go dissing Zatanna's classic look Wonder Woman :mad:.

Supergirl as a tough girl is more of a Power Girl trait then a Supergirl trait, and I could say her style and attitude is much more in-line with Power Girl then traditional Supergirl, but her personality fills out the team quite nicely and gives her room to grow. Nicole Sullivan also captures this take on Supergirl's personality perfectly ;).

And the Danvers' as these super-supportive and absurdly nice parents makes a nice contrast with a rebellious punk Supergirl :rolleyes2:.

This is probably the most zany version of Batgirl I have ever seen. I mean, I don't think it's a bad thing, since it works for the show and what they're going with, even if takes some getting used to. But all her fangirlness was kind of amusing :anime:.

I wasn't expecting Harley to turn up so soon (although at the same time, I'm kind of not surprised). They quickly establish that she and Barbara are old friends from Gotham, and those sirens in Harley's video do enough to indicate that this version of Harley isn't quite on the right side of the law. It'll be interesting to see how they develop the two's relationship moving forward on the show, especially once Harleen becomes Harley Quinn :evil:.

Jason Spisak as Green Lantern is kind of funny given his long history of voicing Flashes. I'm not sure how much of a role Hal will have on this show, but I'm interested to see his dynamic with Jessica, especially since he'll probably be a more traditional GL to contrast with Jess' pacifism. I still can't get it out of my head that he looks like Josh Keaton should play him :ack:.

So Barry Allen works at a cafe the girls frequent, and he's a motor-mouth (because he's The Flash, get it?). Kind of funny to see Phil LaMarr trade in one blonde Leaguer (Aquaman) for another :p.

Man, this is probably the toughest looking depictions of Hippolyta and the Amazons I have ever seen. Watching them square off against the Super Hero Girls and be torn between the princess and queen was pretty amusing. Cree Summer was also a pretty solid Hippolyta :).

I figured Lena would turn out to be the main villain when they left it ambiguous who was controlling the robots, plus it makes sense to have the female Luthor be the starting villain in a female-centric Superhero show. I wasn't expecting her to hate teenagers so much though o_O.

I thought she was voiced by Jessica DiCicoco for a second, because her voice sounded so recognizable, but it turns out it was Cassandra Lee in her first Big Two animation role! Awesome :D.

"Lutessa Lena Luthor," hey, that was Tess Mercer's real name on Smallville! I don't think it was from the comics, but either way it was nice to hear it ;).

Lena's lucky she just got dragged back home, for a second when the police arrived I thought they'd just arrest her. But I guess she is a minor...

I like that they acknowledged the Luthors were from Smallville, judging by the dad appearing to be a farmer :cool:.

Lena was the true culprit here, but Lex staring at the Super Hero Girls was slightly ominous. I wouldn't rule him out from villain status quite yet :elle:.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
DC Super Hero Girls "Sweet Justice"

That was a lot of fun. I love Barbara's reaction to being called a sister by Diana, and Diana's reaction to sweets. SO funny.

And Hippolyta is SO a final boss.

Interesting take on Lex Luthor because he doesn't seem as outwardly sinister as most versions. Of course he'll wind up a bad guy but it doesn't seem like he's one yet.

Harley is very Harley in this show.

Promising opener. ****1/2.

Viper

I'll Never Forget You Two!
I just saw the hour-long Pilot to this new DC Super Hero Girls Series. I'll start off by saying...Unbelievable!!! I loved it!!! It may have been a lot different than the original version that I'll always love, but it was still a lot of fun! Here are my comments about it.

1. It was wild seeing all the girls get to know each other, as well as them getting used to their super powers.

2. Nicole Sullivan played an excellent Kara/Supergirl, considering Kara looked like she used to be in a street gang.

3. At that spa, it was wild when Diana/Wonder Woman attacked those attendants who just wanted to give her a nice pedicure. I loved when, at that ice cream parlor, Wonder Woman was chowing down on that huge sundae...face-first!!!

4. I felt that when they were battling those LexCorp robots, they still gave it a great try, even though there were too many of them. It was really sad to see them disband afterwards.

5. It was nice to see Harley Quinn and see that she's still friends with Barbara Gordon.

6. I really liked seeing Wonder Woman stand up to her mom like that.

7. At the end, the big battle against that giant robot that was being controlled by Lena Luthor was intense and fantastic. I loved how Supergirl used rock & roll to give Lena a huge headache!!! Oh, I also thought Will Friedle, former Ron Stoppable, played a pretty good teenage Lex Luthor.

A great way to start off this new series! I loved it!!! I can't wait to see what other surprises we'll get to see.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It just dawned on me but I wonder what Wonder Woman's living conditions are. Was she homeless, sleeping in the Invisible Jet somewhere seculded prior to Barbara introducing the secret base?

Frontier

Staff member
It just dawned on me but I wonder what Wonder Woman's living conditions are. Was she homeless, sleeping in the Invisible Jet somewhere seculded prior to Barbara introducing the secret base?
Not even getting into the technical nitty gritty of how the heck she gets enrolled into the school. They just assumed she was truant and threw her into detention of the nearest high school :p.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Not even getting into the technical nitty gritty of how the heck she gets enrolled into the school. They just assumed she was truant and threw her into detention of the nearest high school :p.
True, but Zatanna cast that spell to make her geek chic -- she came up with her alias and cover story. So maybe she casts another spell to doctor the enrollment -- but not a good thing to mention in light of this week's news...

Frontier

Staff member
True, but Zatanna cast that spell to make her geek chic -- she came up with her alias and cover story. So maybe she casts another spell to doctor the enrollment -- but not a good thing to mention in light of this week's news...
At least it would be a good display of successful magic on Zatanna's part :p.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Check out a new DC Super Hero Girls episode, today at 4pm ET/PT on Cartoon Network!

dcsuperherogirlsTVartmay212018.jpg
DC Super Hero Girls “#AdventuresInBunnysitting”
Episode Debut - March 17th, 2019

Zee asks Kara to look after her two magical bunnies, which quickly start to multiply, wreaking havoc all across Metropolis.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.
Well, this is how the animated "Married with Children" looks like.
It's interesting how Disney Junior is rebranding, first with the logo, and now educational curriculum being developed under Disney Junior Education And Inclusion rather than the Disney Junior Educational Resource Group.

Featured Posts