COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!

Target (and also Walmart) will not have Black Friday this year because of the Coronavirus.
The article doesn’t say anything about there being no Black Friday this year. Target and Walmart are only saying that they won’t be open on Thanksgiving Day.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Russia is aiming to have a vaccine, made by the Gamaleya Institute in said country, be approved on August 10th or earlier, but I wouldn't get any hopes up yet, since they might've cut corners in the development of it.

Light Lucario

Staff member
As good as it would be to have a vaccine available that fast, I'd be extremely cautious and skeptical about any source claiming to get it out so early. One reason why most medical experts have said that it would take at least a year to make a vaccine is that they'd have to make sure it's safe before making it available for the general public. There wouldn't be much of a point to a vaccine if it caused terrible side effects or worse.

Even having one available for next year would be quite fast, although that might be more probable given that this is a huge priority and I'm sure a lot of people are working on it right now.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
As good as it would be to have a vaccine available that fast, I'd be extremely cautious and skeptical about any source claiming to get it out so early. One reason why most medical experts have said that it would take at least a year to make a vaccine is that they'd have to make sure it's safe before making it available for the general public. There wouldn't be much of a point to a vaccine if it caused terrible side effects or worse.

Even having one available for next year would be quite fast, although that might be more probable given that this is a huge priority and I'm sure a lot of people are working on it right now.
That's why I said not to get hopes up on Russia's vaccine.

Dr.Pepper

I went to the mall today, and I think I only saw one person (excluding little kids) without a mask at all. I saw a handful of people who had their masks down on their chin, dangling from their ear, or in their hands. I’m going to say at least 95% of people over the age of ten we’re wearing masks correctly.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
This week, the Belgian province of Antwerp is going in lockdown. There is now a curfew from 23:30 until 06:00. The last time that happened was in World War II. You are not supposed to leave the province unless for work.

46% of all new cases in the last week come from Antwerp. There are 4 cases every squared kilometer. There are also a lot of muslims there, and the Feast of the Sacrifice (Eid al-Adha) is tomorrow, so things will only get worse.

Last edited:

Asa

I feel like many people (Mainstream media, I'm looking at you) aren't taking the "Be careful what you wish for" message seriously during the COVID-19 pandemic because if our old normal before March this year dies too soon, we will all be doomed to an eternity frozen in time (like a time loop).

Light Lucario

Staff member
I feel like many people (Mainstream media, I'm looking at you) aren't taking the "Be careful what you wish for" message seriously during the COVID-19 pandemic because if our old normal before March this year dies too soon, we will all be doomed to an eternity frozen in time (like a time loop).

I'm pretty sure our old normal is already long gone by this point.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
There are vaccines being developed, you know, and some are in their third and final phase of trials.

Light Lucario

Staff member
There are vaccines being developed, you know, and some are in their third and final phase of trials.

That doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be ready to be release to the general public in the near future though. From what I understand, most medical experts wouldn't expect a safe and effective vaccine to be developed until 2021 at the earliest. And that would be pretty early for a vaccine too.

Even if it is available early next year, we still need to get through the rest of 2020. Between March and July, cases have sky rocketed across the country. At this rate, the rest of the year doesn't feel too promising in terms of getting the virus situation under control, especially when there is flu season around the corner. Yes, there are flu vaccines, but people can still get the flu even if they get a flu shot. It's better to get a flu shot if at all possible, but it isn't a complete cure either.

Besides all that, I don't think we really can go back to our old normal for a number of reasons. Even if we do get a vaccine sooner than I expect, the situation has radically changed the course of so many people's lives. People have lost their lives or the lives of their loved ones. People have lost their jobs or have been forced to work in a dangerous environment for the shake of reopening. Students have the stress of dealing with school on top of a pandemic. Many children may be forced to go back to school in the fall, which would be effectively putting their lives, their families and all of the staff members in danger. I pray with all my heart that schools stay close for the foreseeable future. I have a hard time processing everything that has been happening, so I have no idea how a lot of kids are dealing with this. All of this kind of emotional and psychological stress doesn't just go away once there's a vaccine. There would ideally be less immediate danger, but collective trauma isn't easily erased.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Well, I am taking it seriously as I was reluctant on going to the cinemas when it was announced that they would reopen during this month and the old normal is already gone.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
That doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be ready to be release to the general public in the near future though. From what I understand, most medical experts wouldn't expect a safe and effective vaccine to be developed until 2021 at the earliest. And that would be pretty early for a vaccine too.

Even if it is available early next year, we still need to get through the rest of 2020. Between March and July, cases have sky rocketed across the country. At this rate, the rest of the year doesn't feel too promising in terms of getting the virus situation under control, especially when there is flu season around the corner. Yes, there are flu vaccines, but people can still get the flu even if they get a flu shot. It's better to get a flu shot if at all possible, but it isn't a complete cure either.

Besides all that, I don't think we really can go back to our old normal for a number of reasons. Even if we do get a vaccine sooner than I expect, the situation has radically changed the course of so many people's lives. People have lost their lives or the lives of their loved ones. People have lost their jobs or have been forced to work in a dangerous environment for the shake of reopening. Students have the stress of dealing with school on top of a pandemic. Many children may be forced to go back to school in the fall, which would be effectively putting their lives, their families and all of the staff members in danger. I pray with all my heart that schools stay close for the foreseeable future. I have a hard time processing everything that has been happening, so I have no idea how a lot of kids are dealing with this. All of this kind of emotional and psychological stress doesn't just go away once there's a vaccine. There would ideally be less immediate danger, but collective trauma isn't easily erased.

I was supposed to start a job at Whole Foods as a team member in March! I went through training in person and online, filled out applications, and now I will never get said job or any other one, and I feel like I will never get a new physical one until next year, even one where I don’t have to wear a stupid face covering! Even my planned trip to Great Britain, my future outings to Disneyland, Universal Hollywood, Six Flags, etc., and my fall 2020 college semester are/looking like they are shot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

after youtube NickRewind somehow posting LOT Victorious videos, however just today, the short is Nick preschool podcasts. Don't know if it's permanent

Last May 15 posted Dora's new podcast trailer
The daily experience of going on social media: "Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alpha-Bits! It says 'ooooooo'." "Peter, those are Cheerios."
did I just get threatened by breakfast cereal
I’ve come to a realization. With Superman, Unicorn, Checkered Past, and now Invincible Fight Girl, Adult Swim is straying away from their mission of being adult-only animation, one that’s even in their NAME, to get more advertisers.

The exact reason why CN Real existed.
I REALLY HOPE Adult Swim puts an episode of American Dad before Sailor Moon on Toonami Rewind, CN's shows are NOT CAPABLE giving ratings by their sheer popularity.

Featured Posts