C&C - DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters - "Earth Destroyed! The Initial Buu's Nefarious Strike!" [4/7]

Master Knight DH

Knight of Game Balance
What, it wasn't going to be hard enough to restore Earth's population when you can restore only 1 person per wish on 3 wishes?

....come to think of it....

Maybe the Namekians do restore the other planets slowly but surely after all. Even if it'd be off-screen.

DBTrilogy100

This episode starts with Kibito Kai telling Old Kai about how Kid Buu is actually Buu's first form, the way he originally was when he was created by Bibidi (this was before Akira Toriyama changed his mind and retconed Buu's origins as a being who existed since the dawn of time and Bibidi merely found a spell to summon Buu). Shin was originally the East Supreme Kai before Kid Buu killed the West Supreme Kai, killed the North Supreme Kai, absorbed the South Supreme Kai to become Buff Buu and absorbed the Grand Supreme Kai to become Fat Buu. Kibito Kai also mentions that absorbing those two Supreme Kais had tamed Buu's vicious demeanor but now he is back to being a feral force of nature that can't be reasoned with and only desires to kill all life. Back on Earth, Kid Buu decides to blow up the planet despite the Saiyan Duo's demands for a "fair fight", although Kibito Kai uses his Kai Kai Ability to save Goku & Vegeta, who end up saving Hercule/Mr. Satan/Mark, Dende & Bee before Earth is destroyed (Goten, Trunks, Gohan & Piccolo die in the explosion).

On the Planet of the Kais, Vegeta is furious at Goku over the death of their sons & Piccolo and Hercule/Mr. Satan/Mark goes into denial about the Buu Crisis, dismissing the conflict as a dream and falling off a ledge when he tries to fly. Dende suggests that they can use the Namekian Dragon Balls to restore Earth & its people and Kibito Kai says can take them to Namek thanks to his Kai Kai Ability. Old Kai, however, objects to using the Dragon Balls because he says they upset the natural order of life and the Namekians were only allowed to use them due to being a disciplined species but he relents when Goku reminds him about the deal they talked about in exchange for unlocking Gohan's full power; Vegeta is, naturally, not happy when he finds out this deal involved Bulma. Thanks to Old Kai's crystal ball, the group see Kid Buu regenerate and they learn that the demon now has access to Kibito Kai's Kai Kai Ability after seeing it in action, he starts to teleport throughout the universe. The episode ends with Kid Buu teleporting to Grand Kai's Planet, where many dead fighters (including Krillin & Yamcha) are currently located.

I remember being interested in Buu's origin story and learning about the other Supreme Kais besides Shin. One of the biggest debates in the franchise that continues to this day is the debate over the strongest Buu form; although there are many fans that consider Super Buu (Gohan Absorbed) to be the strongest form and simply debate over who is stronger between Regular Super Buu & Kid Buu. At the very least, fans can agree that Kid Buu is the most dangerous Buu form. Due to DBZ Kai's "cut & paste" process, the filler of Kid Buu teleporting around various locations was retained. I will be interested to see what changes and what stays in the remainder of the DBZ Kai Version of the Kid Buu Sub-Saga.

Last edited:

Mr. Anime

You can tell Toriyama was determined to go out as big as possible here so it really could be the end for Dragon Ball. And one of the problems that both GT and Super share is that honestly it's kind of hard to top Kid Buu as a threat. Though Zamasu and Goku Black mange to pull it off well enough.

Something that the characters should have remembered while Buu was still fat. :mad:
Toriyama writes by the seat of his pants and didn't even consider it until now.

What, it wasn't going to be hard enough to restore Earth's population when you can restore only 1 person per wish on 3 wishes?

....come to think of it....

Maybe the Namekians do restore the other planets slowly but surely after all. Even if it'd be off-screen.

Toriyama actually did think of that and is going to address it later.

Last edited:

Nobodyman

Earth got blown up? Ah man, it's gonna be like that movie, Titan AE. Only hopefully this won't suck.

Full disclosure, I actually think Titan AE is pretty deece

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I'm glad Kai kept in Buu's backstory; in the manga, it's like a page long. I always felt it was one of the things that the anime did better.

And like Mr. Anime said...yeah, it's hard to top this. I mean...Earth blew up! The first time I read that, my mind was blown. Sure, you could have another villain blow it up (Frieza did in the latest movie) but it's impossible to re-create that same feeling of awe.

A.Magik

This was the one opportunity to bring Gohan back into effectual-land, but it didn't happen...

It's a sad full-circle that, considering that DBZ began with Goku saving Gohan from death, near the end, Goku finally let death claim his son.

Last edited:

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
This was the one opportunity to bring Gohan back into effectual-land, but it didn't happen...

It's a sad full-circle that, considering that DBZ began with Goku saving Gohan from death, near the end, Goku finally let death claim his son.
Yet another problem with the Buu arc: the idea of having Goku save Mr. Satan over his sons, Piccolo and Trunks.

Not only does it add more fuel to the big "death is cheap" issue that went overboard once Buu killed everyone on the lookout but Dende, but it also gives DBZ fans another reason to hate Goku.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
This episode was the point where I stopped watching DBZ during its original Toonami run. I got tired of the show's repetitive nature, slower pacing, and make-crap-up-as-you-go writing. Add to that the original CN Toonami's oversaturation of Dragon Ball at the time, and I felt burned out. I needed a long break from it.

It's amazing what 15 years can do to a person--I'd learned so much more about the wide world of anime that my teenage brain couldn't process at the time. After revisiting the original Dragon Ball and catching up on Kai, I feel much more refreshed and have a better appreciation for the franchise now than I did back in the day. I actually feel ready to finish off the series on Toonami now.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Which Donald takes the cake?
Does anybody know the production numbers for Kiri and Lou?? Thefutoncritic did NOT release the productions this time. I mean is today the new season, season 4, or was it still season 3?
So, it seems that Paramount and Skydance have agreed to a merger. I'm not sure what to think...
@JMTV: So glad you hipped me to Smiling Friends. It's funny! I finally have a reason to watch Adult Swim again.
Got some TMNT 87 on in the background. I now realise that A Real Snow Job is almost certainly the episode I was watching on UK Nickelodeon in 1997 when they put text at the bottom telling us to turn to BBC for an important news story. The story was the death of Princess Diana.

Featured Posts