Marvel Animation at WonderCon 2018

TheLemsterPju

I was at the panel today, and I hear they had a Japanese animation studio working on Marvel Rising (they didn’t say which).

I missed a lot of the panel, but I talked with one of the storyboard artists for Guardians and he did say the shows really are ending. There’s a lot of uncertainty at the studio since they wanted to do stuff for Disney’s streaming service but Disney bought Fox and part of Hulu. They’re figuring out what to do.

The only show left in production is Avengers Assemble, and they’re almost done storyboarding for it.

Find a new storytelling medium for the time being, like a series of digital comics. Allow creative freedom for the writers and hire a creative consultant who can fix, explain and stabilize the continuity for their animated universe(s); no matter how convoluted.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Just realized the summary of the panel I linked to on the other page didn't cover the Q&A session at the end either.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Who knows, maybe nothing noteworthy was revealed during the Q&A but it would be nice to know for sure. That session did give us some hints about upcoming stuff at past conventions.

EDIT:
Not related to the future of Marvel animation, but here's a recording of the 25th Anniversary panel for X-Men: TAS.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Can we please not start this again? There haven't been any rumors about any X-Men cartoons in the last few months, as far as I know, so I don't think anyone was expecting that kind of an announcement from WonderCon.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Marvel Animation probably has enough content scheduled to last them up through 2020. By that time, we'll know if the 20th Century Fox sale is happening and get a better idea for the future of the MCU and other Marvel properties.

We have no idea what's going to happen to the X-Men franchise right now. One would imagine that if Disney acquires Fox, then we we will see new movies for Fantastic Four, X-Men, Silver Surfer et all in the MCU.

One would then imagine we'd get animated shows to coincide with them as synergy, such as Marvel has done in the past for Spider-Man, Avengers, and Guardians of the Galaxy.

So it's not like all the shows are ending at the same time. We are seeing the start of a transitionary period.

Just for example, Sony's current Spider-Man deal with Marvel doesn't go past the Homecoming sequel due out in 2019.

Frontier

Staff member
Marvel Animation probably has enough content scheduled to last them up through 2020. By that time, we'll know if the 20th Century Fox sale is happening and get a better idea for the future of the MCU and other Marvel properties.

We have no idea what's going to happen to the X-Men franchise right now. One would imagine that if Disney acquires Fox, then we we will see new movies for Fantastic Four, X-Men, Silver Surfer et all in the MCU.

One would then imagine we'd get animated shows to coincide with them as synergy, such as Marvel has done in the past for Spider-Man, Avengers, and Guardians of the Galaxy.

So it's not like all the shows are ending at the same time. We are seeing the start of a transitionary period.

Just for example, Sony's current Spider-Man deal with Marvel doesn't go past the Homecoming sequel due out in 2019.
Of their current slate, I think they can probably carry into 2019 with the current Guardians, Avengers: Black Panther's Quest, and Marvel's Spider-Man season 2, but beyond that there seems to be just Marvel Rising (which isn't really a TV show) and...Moon Girl, I guess?

I wouldn't expect X-Men or FF cartoons to tie-in to the movies anytime soon given, even if the Fox deal goes through, we're probably still a long ways off from Marvel Studios or Disney-approved X-Men and FF films that would beget cartoon tie-ins.

I hope Marvel Animation is in a transitional period because at least that would mean there's some direction with the ending of all the current shows and layoffs of staff going on :ack:.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I remember the Press release Marvel had about the new seasons for their current shows mentioned they will air through 2019. I mean, Avengers: Black Panther Quest doesn't come out till this Fall (presumably September at the earliest) so that will probably definitely carry into the next year.

Now there's a chance Disney XD might schedule these shows and burn through the episodes faster, but I doubt that will be the case. They seem to be doing a better job with this season of Guardians, airing only 2 episodes per week instead of the 4-5 we used to get in a day last year.

I don't know how many were expecting all the shows to just end at the same time, but if they did they were mistaken. Similar to those who might have believed "ending production" meant the shows will be gone from the network for good, with no more new episodes ever to air.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Of their current slate, I think they can probably carry into 2019 with the current Guardians, Avengers: Black Panther's Quest, and Marvel's Spider-Man season 2, but beyond that there seems to be just Marvel Rising (which isn't really a TV show) and...Moon Girl, I guess?

I wouldn't expect X-Men or FF cartoons to tie-in to the movies anytime soon given, even if the Fox deal goes through, we're probably still a long ways off from Marvel Studios or Disney-approved X-Men and FF films that would beget cartoon tie-ins.

I hope Marvel Animation is in a transitional period because at least that would mean there's some direction with the ending of all the current shows and layoffs of staff going on :ack:.

They could easily stretch those episodes past 2019 if they want. Look what Disney XD did with Gravity Falls. That show debuted in 2012! Two seasons and 40 episodes. The show ended in 2016.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts