"Batman: Bad Blood" Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
The Heretic looks (and sounds) great. Hope he'll be a great adversary in the story. Batwoman versus Talia should be fun.

I was kind of hoping for some more hints about the villains that will appear in the movie. But I agree with Phil Bourassa. who wouldn't have fun designing Killer Moth? :p

Troy Troodon

If that's what you really think, you haven't been paying attention.

Sorry, Troll Trodoon, but this looks great to me.

Why do you care if someone likes something you don't?

I regret posting in this thread now. I questioned how these trailers still get people hyped about it, when I assumed it's just the same trend as before... and look where that got me now! Some of you even called me a troll and people like that.

I guess I deserved it. I had a hard day last night and I should have waited to calm down before I spoke out, but my words still stands. These are not good superhero movies; the Son of Batman movies are still heavily flawed, there is little arc or charm to the characters, the violence is over glorified for PG-13 ratings, and they are just hallow.

And the trailer for the new movie just looks like the same thing, the same pretentious tone with how moody everything is, the predictable plot and so on.

I am depressed now, and I apologize for out speaking like that.

Last edited:

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Troy, there is no need to apologize. Everyone has a right to their opinion, whether its in agreeance or not, and shouldn't be heckled, name-called or made fun of because of it. Let's get this discussion on track and, please, let's keep it respectful and civil. I'm sure that is something everyone here can agree with.

Back to Batman: Bad Blood!

Frontier

Staff member
I regret posting in this thread now. I questioned how these trailers still get people hyped about it, when I assumed it's just the same trend as before... and look where that got me now! Some of you even called me a troll and people like that.

I guess I deserved it. I had a hard day last night and I should have waited to calm down before I spoke out, but my words still stands. These are not good superhero movies; the Son of Batman movies are still heavily flawed, there is little arc or charm to the characters, the violence is over glorified for PG-13 ratings, and they are just hallow.

And the trailer for the new movie just looks like the same thing, the same pretentious tone with how moody everything is, the predictable plot and so on.

For what it's worth Troy, while I understand where you're coming from, I think we are getting an arc or development across the Batman movies with Damian's development both as a character and with Bruce and Dick, as well as Bruce developing into less of a solitary figure and more "family man" with additions to the Batfamily in this movie.

Maybe they're not necessarily conveying these developments in the best or most natural way, but I think its something at least :).

Bat-Fan Beyond

Sorry, Troy, I'm the one who should apologize for calling you a troll. I really don't think that you're a troll, since you're not simply hating on these movies, just giving your own legitimate opinion -- but I will say after every couple of posts, you were chiming in a bit heavy with the negativity. For the most part, I personally find these DC Animated movies really enjoyable, and every time I hear somebody complain about them, I shake my head, because I still think they're better than half the theatrical live-action films that get produced every year.

Troy Troodon

Sorry, Troy, I'm the one who should apologize for calling you a troll. I really don't think that you're a troll, since you're not simply hating on these movies, just giving your own legitimate opinion -- but I will say after every couple of posts, you were chiming in a bit heavy with the negativity. For the most part, I personally find these DC Animated movies really enjoyable, and every time I hear somebody complain about them, I shake my head, because I still think they're better than half the theatrical live-action films that get produced every year.

Bat-Fan, I humbly accept your apology, and while I for one do not like this new direction the DC Animated films are taking, I can at least acknowledge or even respect that some of you guys enjoy it for what it is. Sort'a the same with Man of Steel and the films that follow, I may not like them but I can understand how other people like them, and that's cool. Opinions are opinions after all.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
A Q&A with Bourassa, Tucker and Oliva revealed:
*Confirmed that guy in the blue suit is the Calculator.
*Title 'Bad Blood' was chosen before the Taylor Swift song came out
*'Bad Blood' simply refers to the movie being bloody and being about family
*Batman is in the movie more than the amount of time Batman was in Assault in Arkham

So that just leaves the big guy with tusks to I.D.

Last edited:

-batmat-

I agree with Troy. I can't stand Damian, just with this trailer I don't want to see him ever again. So annoying! Don't like the designs at all, and previous efforts from the New 52 adaptations have been all bad movies in my honest opinion, with the exception of The Flashpoint Paradox. Timm brought hope to me with G&M, hopefully there's more movies where that came from!

Troy Troodon

I agree with Troy. I can't stand Damian, just with this trailer I don't want to see him ever again. So annoying! Don't like the designs at all, and previous efforts from the New 52 adaptations have been all bad movies in my honest opinion, with the exception of The Flashpoint Paradox. Timm brought hope to me with G&M, hopefully there's more movies where that came from!

I actually like Damian as a character, it's the progression and development for Damian and rest of the characters in general, as presented in these particular movies that I can't stand. That goes for Batwoman to, no matter how cool she is in the comics.

Bat-Fan Beyond

I actually like Damian as a character, it's the progression and development for Damian and rest of the characters in general, as presented in these particular movies that I can't stand. That goes for Batwoman to, no matter how cool she is in the comics.

But what would you suggest they do to correct that? Make every movie two hours in length? Cut out most of the action so that we can get more character drama? I mean, these are animated superhero movies that are roughly less than 80 minutes. Unfortunately, there are limitations. If you cut out too much action, you lose most of your audience that want to see that dynamic in an animated feature. You can't be expecting the Batman equivalent of Grave of the Fireflies, can you?

Troy Troodon

I see your point, but the least I would do is look back at previous animated films before the New52 craze, see what made them so endearing and at least focus on trying to make the characters likable, give them something for the audience to root for, and add more personality and charm instead of making them angsty, arrogant, and bitter.

Bat-Fan Beyond

I see your point, but the least I would do is look back at previous animated films before the New52 craze, see what made them so endearing and at least focus on trying to make the characters likable, give them something for the audience to root for, and add more personality and charm instead of making them angsty, arrogant, and bitter.

Oh, so really what it comes down to isn't so much the execution of the films, but the New 52 interpretations of the characters. Well, at least it's not the fact that it's not Bruce Timm producing or it's not Kevin Conroy voicing, like I've heard so many times by some fans.

Troy Troodon

Oh, so really what it comes down to isn't so much the execution of the films, but the New 52 interpretations of the characters.

Oh yeah, it's executions of the projects as well. Pretty much every criticism I have with these films are both in story and in character progression. However, if the characters were more likable, more fleshed out, and more charming I might... MIGHT excuse the pis poor execution.

The key to good stories is sequential writing, character progression, and planning a proper act and sequence.

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
More proof that Jay Oliva rocks. Inspired by The Raid. Check. A Nightwing/Damian scene is his love letter to 80s action movies. Check. Batwoman's technique is Krav Maga and she carries military M-9 Berattas. He has Batman use jiujitsu, tae kwon do, thay kickboxing. Check. 3-6 months after Batman vs. Robin. Check.

Loved how Oliva and Tucker worded the central themes of the movie.

O'Mara's anecdote about Dublin Comic Con was hilarious.

Troy Troodon

More proof that Jay Oliva rocks. Inspired by The Raid. Check. A Nightwing/Damian scene is his love letter to 80s action movies. Check. Batwoman's technique is Krav Maga and she carries military M-9 Berattas. He has Batman use jiujitsu, tae kwon do, thay kickboxing. Check. 3-6 months after Batman vs. Robin. Check.

Loved how Oliva and Tucker worded the central themes of the movie.

O'Mara's anecdote about Dublin Comic Con was hilarious.

And yet none of that has anything to do with adapting a DC Superhero comic! Good Job WB!

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
And yet none of that has anything to do with adapting a DC Superhero comic! Good Job WB!
They also said quite a bit of about adapting a Superhero comic:

- They try and add a new character from the comics who hasn't been in animation yet for each movie.

- While they were heavily using the New 52 content in the beginning, they aren't beholden to it in terms of what they do for the movies.

- They're coming at making the DCNAU movies and continuity work in a similar way to the MCU movies.

- Insight to how Bourassa adapts character designs.

- Tucker's insight into Batman's prominence in DC Animation.

- How the goal is bringing the characters to life and making sure audiences know why they're cool and great characters even if they're not A-list names like Batman, Superman, etc.

Plus, knowing that each of the Batfamily has their own unique fighting style is pretty cool ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts