Worst cartoon episodes!

CartoonFridays

Promoted to detective.
The Simpsons - "The Boys Of Bummer" - DEAR GOD. This is easily one of the darkest and most mean-spirited episodes of the show. The show was trying so hard to make everyone overreact to Bart's error, it's not funny. And since it has a few hints of bullying (especally with Bart's near-suicide), it can hit a bit close to home.

Family Guy - "Be Careful What You Fish For" - As much as I like Brian, I couldn't stand him in this episode.

Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends - "Everyone Knows It's Bendy" - The premise and ending is a big letdown. Give me "The Big Cheese" any day.

South Park - "****** And Turd" - Too mean-spirited even for South Park (in my opinion at least). And the whole ordeal turned into a shaggy dog story.

SpongeBobSquarePants - "A Pal For Gary" - Believe me; you'll want to kill him by the end.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr.Pepper

I remember really hating the episode of Kids Next Door called operation FUTURE. I remember wanting to turn it off the first time it came out. I don't even remember why I hated it so much, but still it wasn't one of my favorites.

MadMan400096

World War I Flying Ace
  • Tiny Toon Adventures: "Hero Hamton": As much as I like this series, this was an atrocious episode. Between the thin cliche premise that could have just as easily been resolved in 11 minutes, Plucky's cruel behavior towards Hamton (even for him), virtually every gag falling flat, and the eye-gouching Encore animation, it's absolutely painful to watch.
  • Johnny Test: Whatever that episode with the sled dog race was called: How about not obscuring the winner to provide a cliche cop out? (For the record, I never really cared for the series to begin with.)
  • Family Guy: "Be Careful What You Fish For": Outside of some funny cutaways, I completely agree with CartoonFridays.
  • The Simpsons: "HOMR": A very overrated, very mean-spirited, and very unlikeable episode that seems to bash intelectualism. My most hated episode of the series (yes, even more so than shows like "Kill the Alligator and Run", "Saddlesore Galactica" (which I actually had no problem with) and "Simpsons Safari", though I never did see "The Boys of Bummer").

TenPoundHammer

Wheel of Fortune winner, 12/8/17
South Park, "Scott Tenorman Must Die". Dude, you killed his parents and fed them to him in chili. That's not being a jerk, that's being a COMPLETE EFFING MONSTER. Way, way, WAY too cruel, no remorse or anything.

Shawn Hopkins

TZ Member of the Year 2013
TenPoundHammer said:
South Park, "Scott Tenorman Must Die". Dude, you killed his parents and fed them to him in chili. That's not being a jerk, that's being a COMPLETE EFFING MONSTER. Way, way, WAY too cruel, no remorse or anything.

That's the point. It's one of the best episodes of the series because it reveals Cartman as the monster he really is.

MadMan400096

World War I Flying Ace
That's the point. It's one of the best episodes of the series because it reveals Cartman as the monster he really is.
Agreed. To "Jewbacabra" is far worse, because in addition to awkwardly mixing in the drama with the adults' stupidity (which, in my opinion, has gotten way out of hand in what has aired of Season 16 so far), it tosses Cartman's character right off the rails. They're practically turning him back to the two-dimensional brat he was in the early days. What happened to the bigoted manipulator of Seasons 5-15? In the toilet, I guess.

For worst episode, however, I'm sticking with "*** Burgers". Look, just because you want to pull a lazy twist for comedy, it doesn't make it funny.

Dynamite Soldier

• Regular Show: "Muscle Mentor": A really mean-spirited episode about Muscle Men carrying Rigby in a "mentoring harness". I also don't like how Benson tell Modercai to shut up.
  • SpongeBob Squarepants: "Ugh!" A really unnecessary episode about SpongeBob, Patrick and Squidward acting like dimwits. No premise to the story. Just a horrible episode.
  • Season 2 of Johnny Bravo (episodes 14-25): In the beginning of season 2, I did not like the design of Little Suzy. The show tend to went from comedy to romance. This is also the season in which it makes Johnny more idiotic.
  • Seasons 1 & 2 of The Flintstones: Those episodes are filled with smoking and adult humor. Barney's voice in the first season was horrible (thank goodness, they change it in the 2nd season). And the theme song was pretty downhill, with nobody singing the song while Fred is driving to his house!? Plus, there was no Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm, as they were introduced in the 3rd season.

Last edited by a moderator:

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
South Park - "****** And Turd" - Too mean-spirited even for South Park (in my opinion at least). And the whole ordeal turned into a shaggy dog story.
Not to mention the episode's moral (that you have to accept the fact that all "elections" will involve people that you don't care about) goes against Trey and Matt's idea that people should not be forced to vote if they don't like the choices.

Yeah, this is definitely one of the most overrated episodes of South Park (along with Timmy 2000 and Death Camp of Tolerance). However, my issue as a whole is that the whole episode is way too mean-spirited (although my issue doesn't involve Cartman turning Scott's parents into chili, as Scott deserved some sort of punishment here).

Master Toon

Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends - "Everyone Knows It's Bendy" - The premise and ending is a big letdown. Give me "The Big Cheese" any day.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Bendy get his comeuppance at the end? How is that a letdown?

SpongeBobSquarePants - "A Pal For Gary" - Believe me; you'll want to kill him by the end.

Agreed. Even after he was almost eaten he's still mad at Gary. It's what to except from one of the newer episodes.

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
The Simpsons episode "Wizard of Evergreen Terrace" kinda leaves you with a funny feeling after you've done some research on Thomas Edison (he wasn't all that smart, stole ideas for inventions from other inventors, and even electrocuted animals). That's why I don't care for it, as well as that that episode of Jimmy Neutron where he brings Edison to the present day (Don't get me started on the bit where Edison ridiculed Tesla.....)

Master Toon

Regular Show - The one where Mordecai bleaches his hair blonde is the lamest one IMO and people just seem to love it. It has none of the comedy of the other episodes, drags on for awhile and their trademark twist-at-the-end was tame compared to most other episodes.

Adventure Time - "Marceline's Closet" besides being too gross was also very boring.

Ruby Gloom - Some of you may have never heard of this cartoon but for those of you who have, any episode with too much of the character Boo Boo is horrible. I hate that character so much. He's useless and just scares Scaredy Bat which does not amuse me at all.

Dexter's Lab/PPG - After both shows started using new animation (which didn't look so bad) the quality of the shows went down. I can't really go into detail because there's a lot to talk about but if you watched CCF back in the day you should know what I'm talking about. I get the feeling someone is going to ask me for further details and I'll have at least 3 episodes per show as examples for you later.

Martin Juneau

Cartoon/comic-artist
  • Season 1/2 The Flintstones: Those episodes are filled with smoking and adult humor. Barney's voice in the first season was horrible (thank goodness, they change it in the 2nd season). And the theme song was pretty downhill, with nobody singing the song while Fred is driving to his house!? Plus, there was no Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm, as they were introduced in the 3rd season.

It helps that season 1 and 2 are the bests Flintstones seasons because of this, for the material which every normals adults will be recognise for. And Barney's voiced by Mel Blanc in the early episodes until his tragic accident. It's not as bad even if it's too much a some wascally wabbit for me. The later seasons with Bamm Bamm, Peebles and Gazoo is actually more downhill than the earlier seasons but tough acceptable by TV standards. Me too i hated the early seasons as a kid but one time grow-up, i realise how the raucous designs made me in top hilarity.

Dracula_Marth

Shaq Fu, DA RETURN
Ed, Edd N Eddy- That episode where Ed is allergic to rabbits. Even the "mean-spirited" episodes had some funny jokes (and really, the Eds getting the short end of the stick is part of the show), but this one was just 11 minutes of awkward uncomedic antics

Foster's- ANY episode with Cheese. As much as I love Ed, Edd N Eddy, I pin the blame squarely on it and Spongebob for coming up with the idea of "annoying, stupid catchphrase machines", and while you might like Fred Fredberger or whatever one you're thinking of, Cheese is a one-off joke... but they just kept bringing him back inexplicably. ALL RIGHT, we get it. He says weird things!

Simpsons- The Lady Gaga episode. Hey guys, remember when the Simpsons would poke fun at the guest stars rather than holding them up on a pedestal?

South Park- That episode which was a full length Terrance and Phillip episode. I am of the belief that early South Park episodes were really really really terrible, and this seals the deal. Look, Terrance and Phillip are iconic SP characters... but 22 minutes of fart jokes? No way, man.

MadMan400096

World War I Flying Ace
That would be "Mush, Johnny, Mush".
Thanks.

Ed, Edd N Eddy- That episode where Ed is allergic to rabbits. Even the "mean-spirited" episodes had some funny jokes (and really, the Eds getting the short end of the stick is part of the show), but this one was just 11 minutes of awkward uncomedic antics
Personally, I think "Postcards from the Ed" was far worse. I mean, WTH!? Sure, Eddy deserved to be run up a tree for killing Plank's parents, and Ed might count as being responsible for "failing" his duties, but Edd was objectively trying to stop Eddy! I really hope the writer of that episode got fired, or at least suffered a massive pay cut.

Dracula_Marth

Shaq Fu, DA RETURN
Personally, I think "Postcards from the Ed" was far worse. I mean, WTH!? Sure, Eddy deserved to be run up a tree for killing Plank's parents, and Ed might count as being responsible for "failing" his duties, but Edd was objectively trying to stop Eddy! I really hope the writer of that episode got fired, or at least suffered a massive pay cut.

Not to try and tell you that you're wrong, but I have to disagree with this.

The whole point of the show is that the Eds fail 95% of the time. Most of the humor comes from how they fail. An episode of the show fails when it isn't funny. Postcards from the Ed had many funny moments (Ed botching the mummy scam, Ed tracking Eddy by his cologne, Eddy grabbing random items to sell as souvenirs), but there was one funny joke in the episode I listed (Johnny saying that "I knew rabbits would someday take over the world")''

Anyways

Family Guy: Road to the North Pole. To paraphrase a guy from another forum I frequent: "This is like a Tom Waits song come to life". That in and of itself is not a bad thing, but it's a comedy show, and Road to the North Pole is just nihilistic. Who would want to watch it? A lot of people in this topic lobby the term "Mean-spirited" around but THIS is mean-spirited

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Family Guy: Road to the North Pole. To paraphrase a guy from another forum I frequent: "This is like a Tom Waits song come to life". That in and of itself is not a bad thing, but it's a comedy show, and Road to the North Pole is just nihilistic. Who would want to watch it? A lot of people in this topic lobby the term "Mean-spirited" around but THIS is mean-spirited
Definitely agree that this is a very bad episode of Family Guy (more specifically, the second act of the episode). I can understand some titles wanting to be dark when it comes to Christmas, but this (and the Simpsons episode Miracle on Evergreen Terrace) crosses the fine line of what is funny and what is considered way too dark.

The biggest problem here definitely has to be the episode's ending. Do you really expect viewers to believe that absolutely NO ONE in the Family Guy universe bothers to do any Xmas shopping whatsoever and instead had to rely on Santa to provide them with all there Xmas gift needs? Seriously, there's so many things wrong with this idea (i.e. stores having to rely on Xmas to make it "in the black" each year; those families who'd have their kids open one gift on Xmas Eve) that it's not funny.

MadMan400096

World War I Flying Ace
Not to try and tell you that you're wrong, but I have to disagree with this.

The whole point of the show is that the Eds fail 95% of the time. Most of the humor comes from how they fail. An episode of the show fails when it isn't funny. Postcards from the Ed had many funny moments (Ed botching the mummy scam, Ed tracking Eddy by his cologne, Eddy grabbing random items to sell as souvenirs), but there was one funny joke in the episode I listed (Johnny saying that "I knew rabbits would someday take over the world")''
A-HEM!!!!

You forgot that Edd did ABOLUTELY NOTHING... to deserve the beatings.

Just because something funny doesn't mean you should do it. Comedy doesn't work that way!

Dracula_Marth

Shaq Fu, DA RETURN
I don't want this to begin a huge flame war, but I have to respond here

A-HEM!!!!

You forgot that Edd did ABOLUTELY NOTHING... to deserve the beatings.

Beatings? All that happened at the end was that they were stuck up a tree.

I won't argue whether or not a fictional cartoon character deserved to have fictional pain inflected on them, but what I will do is give context.

Edd is seen with Ed and Eddy by Johnny, where he can also clearly see Plank's parents "dead". Is Johnny supposed to be omniscient and know immediately that Edd had nothing to do with it? No, he sees Edd with them and assumes that Edd had a hand in the events. Is it fair? That's debatable, but your logic relies on Johnny being some sorta omniscient godbeing, which outside of warped-out fanfics, is not the case.

Just because something funny doesn't mean you should do it. Comedy doesn't work that way!

Actually, that's the exact way comedy works. Comedy is funny things, so if it's funny, you do it unless it isn't a comedy

Now for another entry as a break from all this

I watch quite a bit of Regular Show, but there's this one episode I didn't like: See You There just didn't have the jokes that most episodes did. Of course, being Regular Show, it's still pretty funny, just not as funny.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I REALLY HOPE Adult Swim puts an episode of American Dad before Sailor Moon on Toonami Rewind, CN's shows are NOT CAPABLE giving ratings by their sheer popularity.

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.
Well, this is how the animated "Married with Children" looks like.

Featured Posts