Why is that we haven’t seen more adult animation in Britain?

tony6

Adult animation is big in America and in Japan. But Britain, as far as I can say there where some of them were made in the past, it’s being neglected as of late. Why is that we haven’t seen more from them?

Pooky

Staff member
I don't think any of them have been huge breakaway hits. The last major attempt I can recall (Full English) was such a flop that no one really cared or noticed when the last episode didn't air.

tony6

I don't think any of them have been huge breakaway hits. The last major attempt I can recall (Full English) was such a flop that no one really cared or noticed when the last episode didn't air.
Okay. What if they did a show a la Liquid Television or Love, Death and Robots?

Pooky

Staff member
Maybe an anthology show based on stories from 2000AD comics might do (relatively) well.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
So, why is that Britain is afraid of taking risks.
I resist the idea that making an animated show for adults is taking a risk. Maybe if more animated shows for adults were better, I'd think differently, but realizing there is no market in Britain for R-rated cartoon poop and fart jokes does not necessarily mean producers there are risk averse. Maybe the subject matter simply doesn't interest them (or the viewers) there.

Pooky

Staff member
I remember Stressed Eric being kind of somewhat popular, but not compared to how The Simpsons and South Park and later Family Guy were popular. I personally liked Bob & Margaret quite a bit, but I don't think it ever rose above cult status at best.

Something that might have been a little bit popular was 2DTV, a fairly topical satire/parody sketch show with characters based on real-life figures from political and pop culture from the early-mid 00s, but it was pretty ephemeral stuff, quickly forgotten (it was also hard not to compare it to Spitting Image, an adult satirical puppet show that was huge in the 80s and early 90s, recently revived to a fairly muted response).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Currently being forced to watch the Twilight Saga. Three more 2+ hour films to go.

Help. Me.
If Dick Dastardly ever returns in a SCOOB! sequel, I am sure he will be voiced by Mike Pollock. What do you think?
Twitter remains super toxic, I do not recommend spending more time on there than you have to. I have friends on there, but meh.
Today marks the 25th Year Anniversary of when the Original Game of the Super Smash Bros. Franchise was released in North America. It's quite surreal to see how far Nintendo's All-Star Battle Royale Franchise has come since its early days.
I watched the first episode of Yuru Camp this morning on a whim, though I did have slight influence from a Twitter friend who really likes it. Can't believe I waited until now to give it a shot, because I really enjoyed it.

Featured Posts