Whatever happened to ChalkZone?

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
The show started off as a series of shorts in 1998 just like Fairly Odd Parents and it had just about as much if not more creativity and potential than FOP. The full series was planned to air in 2000 with the first episode being aired as a sneak peak on New Years Eve 1999. However for some reason it got pushed all the way to 2002, a full year after Fairly Odd Parents even though 1st season was completed in 2000. When I was a kid I watched a lot of Fairly Odd Parents but I wasn't a big fan of ChalkZone just because that show didn't air as often. Ultimately the show did not achieve the popularity of FOP even though it seemed to have more potential.

Are there any reasons ChalkZone was shelved for 2 years and that it wasn't as popular as Fairly Odd Parents?

kanc

No, I think it might have to do with production for animation that takes time to complete.

ToonJay723

Staff member
Well 2005 was the year Nickelodeon cancelled every Nicktoon except for SpongeBob and Avatar. So I don't think it was the show itself, just that the executives wanted to free up resources for new shows.

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
I thought Chalkzone was a really creative and charming series, so it is a shame that it didn't catch on. Honestly, I'm a little surprised it even got four seasons since, like you said, it was screwed at the start.

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
Maybe if ChalkZone came out in 2000 as intended it could have beat out Fairly Odd Parents.

Ghostbuster

Team Wolf Brothers!
It seems like ChalkZone got poor treatment everywhere. Jimmy Neutron premiered here in April 2003, but ChalkZone premiered in April 2009...
The noughties were a bad time for new Nicktoons airing in the UK. The Mighty B!, The X's, Catscratch and El Tigre hardly aired. I don't even think we got season two of The X's. We didn't even get Making Fiends.

ToonsJazzLover

Asking that question to any mistreated Nicktoon will lead to the same answer: it didn't reached SpongeBob level of ratings. Why do you think there's almost no post-Avatar Nicktoons that ended their run on the main run.

NixcoBox12

Also known as pizzabob, also a dubbing archiver
The noughties were a bad time for new Nicktoons airing in the UK. The Mighty B!, The X's, Catscratch and El Tigre hardly aired. I don't even think we got season two of The X's. We didn't even get Making Fiends.
Catscratch did ok in the UK, the earliest documented airdate was August 2006 (from a Sky channel surfing video, the show didn’t air when it was recorded but it was on the TV guide), a promo from 2007/2008 is on YouTube and it aired as late as 2010 over here! (From a Nickelodeon (Replay, now +1) continuity/start up video from 2010, uploaded in 2012)

Ghostbuster

Team Wolf Brothers!
For some reason, Nicktoons that premiered in the mid-noughts took ages to come to the UK, and received poor treatment. The X's only lasted one summer before never been aired again.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Even though it premiered so late here, Chalk Zone was actually treated nicely in 2009 and the early 2010s.

I feel like nearly all NickToons were treated nicely in Flanders, except for:

-Doug (never aired on Nickelodeon here, but it did air on Ketnet, VT4, KRO)
-The Ren and Stimpy Show (I am not sure if it ever aired on Nickelodeon in Flanders, but it did air on NickToons, VT4, TMF and Comedy Central)
-Aaahh!!! Real Monsters (only aired at bad hours, but it also aired on NickToons, VIER, VPRO, maybe another channel)
-Kablam (only aired on NickToons and KRO)
-Invader Zim (quickly ditched to NickToons)
-Rise of the TMNT (quickly ditched to NickToons, if I remember correctly)
-Pig Goat Banana Cricket (only aired on NickToons, if I remember correctly)

NixcoBox12

Also known as pizzabob, also a dubbing archiver
For some reason, Nicktoons that premiered in the mid-noughts took ages to come to the UK, and received poor treatment. The X's only lasted one summer before never been aired again.
Even Nicktoons airing now in the UK are being treated bad, It's Pony hasn’t aired on Nicktoons for ages and aired more on Nick UK which also hasn’t aired it for some time, The Casagrandes has been pushed to 3 am-4 am until the 3rd of January where it is on 10:15 am every weekday after the unexpected return of Fairly Oddparents, Ollie's Pack is nowhere to been seen for a while, Dorg Van Dango hasn’t aired for a long time (which is good, i hate that show), Kamp Koral literally hasn’t aired over here yet, The Patrick Star Show is airing a lot (it's a meh show imo) but I can see why, it's a spin off of Spongebob, The Smurfs and Middlemost Post are doing fine now but I’m worring about what’s going to happen about the latter (Middlemost Post) since it's a great show.
I’m worried about the new show in January on Nicktoons UK "Big Blue", not that how they going to treat it (probably air it for a while then dumping it to never to be seen again or to 3 am-4 am slots) but instead I’m worried it might be bad.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts