Unpopular Opinions

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
Here's another one: Despite not having the creator on board, Community's fourth season was not that bad. In fact, I actually prefer it over the fifth season, which (at times) got as dark as the latter half of season 3, and the absence of Pierce was noticeable (much as I like Jonathan Banks in Breaking Bad, his character was not a great substitute). That said, season 5 does contain a couple of my favorite episodes: "App Development and Condiments" (the one where an app causes the campus to divide into different classes) and "G.I. Jeff" (the animated parody). "Analysis of Cork-Based Networking" also has one of the funniest Annie jokes in the series:

I actually skipped season 4 when I first binge watched the show before season 6 started, but you're right, it really wasn't that bad. I still like season 5, at least some of it. Aside from Pierce, Troy's absence sticks out the most to me and even after I've gotten used to Abed and Annie (which is an awesome pairing given Alison Brie and Danny Pudi's IRL bond), it still failed to fill the hole Troy left. It makes me cherish the first five episodes a lot more, and the last couple episodes do reek of season 3. I do like Buzz Hickey though, and I would've loved to see him in season 6 had Better Call Saul started just a year later. Frankie is another substitute character that I don't think gets talked about enough. This scene from "Advanced Safety Features" remains one of the funniest moments in the series:

While we're at it, what did you think of season 6?

Last edited:

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Can I just say that to all the people that complain about Rick and Morty S3 and S4 being bad... This show was never all that great in its first two seasons either, IMHO.

It's just a bad (especially bad-looking) show, overall - but unlike the zombies Family Guy & Simpsons especially have become, at least it's still fun to watch, sometimes. I'm actually looking forward to S5, because simply... It's so bad, it's good and there's nothing wrong with that, honestly - since, again - it has its moments for me where it's actually fun to watch!

One more thing or two:
As happy as I am to have Tuca and Bertie back, I'd rather it not come back on Adult Swim.

Knowing their most biting top dog is Rick and Morty and not something more worthy like Ballmastrz 9009... I wholeheartedly expect that they WILL very like tone down, if not outright neuter, the crap outta any bite and/or soul and actual humor Tuca and Bertie had for itself. I'm counting on that happening, too, which isn't helping!

Tuca and Bertie needed to come back on Netflix, where they could get away with what they're doing in the first place, honestly.

Last edited:

Pooky

Staff member
Dang, I enjoyed Forrest Gump.

I did too, I understand why people think it's sappy and\or offensive, and it probably was overpraised at the time, but as mainstream entertainment it was pretty entertaining. And to be perfectly honest with you (here comes a *really* unpopular opinion) I've never been all that wild about Shawshank.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
I actually skipped season 4 when I first binge watched the show before season 6 started, but you're right, it really wasn't that bad. I still like season 5, at least some of it. Aside from Pierce, Troy's absence sticks out the most to me and even after I've gotten used to Abed and Annie (which is an awesome pairing given Alison Brie and Danny Pudi's IRL bond), it still failed to fill the hole Troy left. It makes me cherish the first five episodes a lot more, and the last couple episodes do reek of season 3. I do like Buzz Hickey though, and I would've loved to see him in season 6 had Better Call Saul started just a year later. Frankie is another substitute character that I don't think gets talked about enough. This scene from "Advanced Safety Features" remains one of the funniest moments in the series:

While we're at it, what do you think of season 6?
I'm lukewarm on season 6. It had an odd tone/cast dynamic that I can't quite place. I think with the absence of Troy, Shirley, Pierce, and now Buzz, the show had a resigned feeling of "let's do a show with whoever's left". That said, I did like new addition Keith David as Elroy. Favorites of that season were "Basic Email Security" (Greendale is hacked) and "Basic RV Repair and Palmistry" (the road trip with Abed's frequent flashbacks).

Zorak Masaki

I thought the 2003 Daredevil film was a perfectly fine superhero film. As someone who doesnt generally care much for the character, I thought Affleck did a good job as Murdoch, and Colin Farrell as Bullseye and especially Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin were good villains. I've heard the director's cut version is better, I've got to get my hands on that one someday.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I did too, I understand why people think it's sappy and\or offensive, and it probably was overpraised at the time, but as mainstream entertainment it was pretty entertaining. And to be perfectly honest with you (here comes a *really* unpopular opinion) I've never been all that wild about Shawshank.
I liked it too. I didn't know it wasn't liked online.

Zanneck

I thought the 2003 Daredevil film was a perfectly fine superhero film. As someone who doesnt generally care much for the character, I thought Affleck did a good job as Murdoch, and Colin Farrell as Bullseye and especially Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin were good villains. I've heard the director's cut version is better, I've got to get my hands on that one someday.

Definitely. You'll enjoy it even more. I know I did.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Forrest Gump sucks because all of the tragedy and pathos in it is completely unearned. It's designed to manipulate tears out of the audience and nothing more. Whenever I see that movie I feel like the producers have completely used and violated me. There are not that many movies that elicit that specific negative reaction in me but Forrest Gump is one of them.

Last edited:

Pooky

Staff member
Forrest Gump sucks because all of the tragedy and pathos in it is completely unearned. It's designed to manipulative tears out of the audience and nothing more.

See to me, Shawshank is much the same. I get why Forrest Gump beating Pulp Fiction represents the triumph of old, safe, corporate Hollywood vs New Hollywood, innovation and the independents, but to me Shawshank and Forrest Gump are two sides of the same coin. One mostly family friendly and fluffy with moments of grit, one R-rated and gritty with moments of heartwarming relief. Both seem to live on in the public consciousness mostly for their inspirational qualities and bumper-sticker quote lines.

To be clear I certainly don't think Shawshank is a bad film, but for me it is not one of the greatest movies ever made, nor in the conversation. I admit that I might be more cynical about Gump (and more aware of its distasteful if probably unintentional subtext) if I had first seen it when I was older.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
See to me, Shawshank is much the same. I get why Forrest Gump beating Pulp Fiction represents the triumph of old, safe, corporate Hollywood vs New Hollywood, innovation and the independents, but to me Shawshank and Forrest Gump are two sides of the same coin. One mostly family friendly and fluffy with moments of grit, one R-rated and gritty with moments of heartwarming relief. Both seem to live on in the public consciousness mostly for their inspirational qualities and bumper-sticker quote lines.

To be clear I certainly don't think Shawshank is a bad film, but for me it is not one of the greatest movies ever made, nor in the conversation. I admit that I might be more cynical about Gump (and more aware of its distasteful if probably unintentional subtext) if I had first seen it when I was older.
Shawshank manipulates me into feeling good. Forrest Gump manipulates me into feeling bad. One thing I enjoy and am grateful for. The other I resent the hell out of.

Pooky

Staff member
Fair enough.

I agree that Letterman was fine (from what I've seen) at the Oscars that year. Everybody raved about Billy Crystal's hosting stints at the time, but who actuality remembers any jokes from them now?

Of course if it was up to me there would be no Oscars any more...

Zorak Masaki

To be fair to Forrest, has anyone read the book the movie is loosely based on. I say loosely, because there's lots of stuff from the book that's not in the movie (ie, Forrest going into space, no really). It (and moreso the sequel Gump and Co.) are actually more satirical really.

Last edited:

creator

I don't like awards shows for movies, music, video games, etc.. If you enjoy some media - the writing or the acting or the cinematography or quite literally anything about it - then by all means give it recognition. Write about it, share it with friends and family. But to have a mysterious cast of people vote on which works deserve merit and boldly claim something as the best is prone to trivialization and exclusion. It's more commercialization than appreciation; art, in its ability to affect people and culture, deserves much more of the latter.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
To be fair to Forrest, has anyone read the book the movie is loosely based on. I say loosely, because there's lots of stuff from the book that's not in the movie (ie, Forrest going into space, no really). It (and moreso the sequel Gump and Co.) are actually more satirical actually.
Yes, it's a bit like The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I don't like awards shows for movies, music, video games, etc.. If you enjoy some media - the writing or the acting or the cinematography or quite literally anything about it - then by all means give it recognition. Write about it, share it with friends and family. But to have a mysterious cast of people vote on which works deserve merit and boldly claim something as the best is prone to trivialization and exclusion. It's more commercialization than appreciation; art, in its ability to affect people and culture, deserves much more of the latter.
I agree. Considering the Oscars and the Emmys consistently make the wrong choices every year they defeat the entire purpose of them. The fact that Forrest Gump beat out Pulp Fiction, or that Shakespeare in Love bested Saving Private Ryan suggests that awards shows are motivated by personal politics rather than quality. The fact that David E Kelly has a shelf-full of Emmys while David Lynch and Joss Whedon have none is another thing to say that the mysterious people who decide these types of things, have no business deciding these types of things.

Pooky

Staff member
My thing with the Oscars is that there are so many movies now that get made seemingly purely to get nominated for Oscars. They're often well acted but bland and get forgotten after a year. I think funding could go to much more interesting films without this system.

Of course there are also a number of interesting films each year which might not have been made it someone didn't think they he Oscar potential, so it's not a straight forward matter.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Not to divert discussion from this topic, but I made a thread all about this a few years ago. If you want to bump it, feel free.

Zanneck

Truth. So much truth! Too many people don't understand this, either. Just because someone handed something an award doesn't make it good to everyone. Not everyone thinks nor should be lead to believe something is good because it got some award from somewhere!

The only award that matters to me with ANYTHING and EVERYTHING I come across is MY OVERALL ENJOYMENT OF & LEGIT ENGAGEMENT BY it. If you're lacking in my eyes overall, I simply don't like nor recommend you all that much. It ain't that that hard like these awards show jerks think it is, honestly!

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Not to divert discussion from this topic, but I made a thread all about this a few years ago. If you want to bump it, feel free.
Man, no offense Classic Speedy, but Pulp Fiction, Shawshank Redemption, or Saving Private Ryan aren't mentioned ONCE in that specific thread which strikes me as crazy. So far our discussion here seems much more relevant to that specific topic.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

If Dick Dastardly ever returns in a SCOOB! sequel, I am sure he will be voiced by Mike Pollock. What do you think?
Twitter remains super toxic, I do not recommend spending more time on there than you have to. I have friends on there, but meh.
Today marks the 25th Year Anniversary of when the Original Game of the Super Smash Bros. Franchise was released in North America. It's quite surreal to see how far Nintendo's All-Star Battle Royale Franchise has come since its early days.
I watched the first episode of Yuru Camp this morning on a whim, though I did have slight influence from a Twitter friend who really likes it. Can't believe I waited until now to give it a shot, because I really enjoyed it.
I've said this before, but the Ignore button is a life saver.

Featured Posts